How important are internships?

Watch this thread
annaandrews
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am in my penultimate year of university and I did not apply for an internship this summer, mainly due to mental health reasons meaning I wanted to solely focus on my degree as opposed to applications.

Now I’m incredibly stressed over the negative impact that not doing an internship may have on my future employment prospects.

So my question is, how important are internships? Am I still likely to get on a good graduate scheme having not done an internship?
nedflanders123
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I know plenty of people who have gotten good jobs without doing internships straight out of University. So I would not worry.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by annaandrews)
I am in my penultimate year of university and I did not apply for an internship this summer, mainly due to mental health reasons meaning I wanted to solely focus on my degree as opposed to applications.

Now I’m incredibly stressed over the negative impact that not doing an internship may have on my future employment prospects.

So my question is, how important are internships? Am I still likely to get on a good graduate scheme having not done an internship?
They can help an awful lot, especially if you perform well in them and bag a return offer meaning you will have a graduate job lined up before you even start final year. They also help you during interviews as you will have relevant industrial experience to talk about, not just the typical university scenarios like group projects etc. that everyone does.

Of course you can still land a graduate scheme without doing an internship, but having one helps a lot. Work experience >>> your degree/classification.
MonsoonFlower
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by annaandrews)

Practical experience helps a lot than just your degree alone.
I've worked for many different employers and have learnt that not all graduates who have degrees are cut out for the working world because they don't have (ahem) experience therefore not mature and prepared to get out there to work.
You will learn that the job market is extremely tough nowadays and you have to do everything you can to stand out from the crowd.
I actually believe that practical experience makes you more of a person than just having studied for a degree itself.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.58%
As I expected (24)
30.38%
Harder (29)
36.71%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.33%

Watched Threads