The Student Room Group

Offensive Thatcher statue in Grantham

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Fullofsurprises
I was more thinking about the statue itself, but now I've looked more at it, I think it's just weird. For one thing, it doesn't look much like her.

Then say it’s weird, it looks weird. But don’t call it fascistic.
Reply 81
This is exactly why I feel that only women should be permitted to egg the statue, or indeed carry it off to a Place of Breaking.

Should’ve realised it’s sarcasm
Again, finding it amusing how so many on the right, seem so triggered by people throwing

Original post by Fenneko
I think the discussion is going a tad off-topic.

@Fullofsurprises, what makes it permissable for someone to exercise their supposed right to vandalise and destroy a statue because it offends them? Can't we seemingly apply this justification to any statue or property? It seems like a pretty subjective metric.

So let's get this straight.

Throwing eggs at a statue is wrong and heinous in your view , but launching an attempted coup to overthrow a democratically elected president is good?

Interesting set of morals you have there.
Original post by DSilva

Throwing eggs at a statue is wrong and heinous in your view , but launching an attempted coup to overthrow a democratically elected president is good?

Wait a second, you think that the privatisation of railways is okay, but you're against progressive tax???

You're telling me that you think that marmite is delicious, but you hate the taste of quinoa???

These two things are completely disconnected from one another.
Reply 84
Original post by DSilva
Again, finding it amusing how so many on the right, seem so triggered by people throwing

Lets be fair it was a riot, not a coup. The word coup might play well to rile up the medias audience but the event was an absolute nonevent outside of it happening to occur where it did. It didnt ever stand a chance of succeeding, merely restraining someone from saying aye not really being coup material
Reply 85
Original post by Picnicl
I found it appalling that an ex-soldier was sentenced to 30 days imprisonment for defacing a statue of Churchill. Instead of allowing the political point (against a political person) to be a mitigating factor, it seems to have resulted in the sentence being worse.The judge said that Churchill was held in high esteem by many people -as if popular opinion about esteem should ever have bearing and as if that invalidates thinking otherwise about some aspects of a person. The culprits did the act in daylight, not underhandedly to not be caught. They should have just been made to observe the cleaning up of the statue, given no more than 1 night in a cell to deter from doing it again, and given a large fine. We cannot fairly increase jail time because the establishment holds a statue of Churchill in higher esteem than my handmade garden gnome of myself might be.

How on earth could a 'political point' be a mitigating factor :lol:
Your idea of punishment is rather quaint though, make him be a rubbernecker whilst others clean up his vandalism.
The fact of the matter is simple Church was a great man who helped the country survive the nazi onslaught. all those whining about how mean he was miss the point that that is what everyone thought in the day and no one with half a brain cell really cares if a historical figure held opinions that may be questionable by todays standards. Such people being intellectually clueless at the very best considering they view the entirety of humanity up till today to be a bunch of fascists because they didnt approve of sodomy back in the day :rolleyes:. applying modern moral frameworks to historical figures, utterly moronic idea for no observable purpose.
I find it odd you support destroying public property though. Do you also approve of petrol bombing a police station because a black person was held their for questioning? It being a political point in your words...
Original post by Fenneko
Wait a second, you think that the privatisation of railways is okay, but you're against progressive tax???

You're telling me that you think that marmite is delicious, but you hate the taste of quinoa???lan
These two things are completely disconnected from one another.

Anyone who thinks nationalising the railways is a good idea wants to check themselves. It’s like people forget how utterly shocking British Rail actually was. On top of that, there are examples of poorly ran companies across this country that are basically state owned. You’ve only got to look at their appalling performance to know it’s not a bright idea.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by imlikeahermit
Anyone who thinks privatising the railways is a good idea wants to check themselves. It’s like people forget how utterly shocking British Rail actually was. On top of that, there are examples of poorly ran companies across this country that are basically state owned. You’ve only got to look at their appalling performance to know it’s not a bright idea.

At the risk of derailing the thread, I think you mean nationalising rather than privatising, but yeah, I agree with you. Nationalisation, generally, decreases the quality of a given product or service.
Original post by Fenneko
At the risk of derailing the thread, I think you mean nationalising rather than privatising, but yeah, I agree with you. Nationalisation, generally, decreases the quality of a given product or service.

Apologies yeah, typo on my part. I meant nationalising them is a terrible idea. Corrected. :biggrin:
Original post by imlikeahermit
Apologies yeah, typo on my part. I meant nationalising them is a terrible idea. Corrected. :biggrin:

I gotcha :biggrin:
Original post by brjf
Then say it’s weird, it looks weird. But don’t call it fascistic.

I suspect things can be both. I think she was a strong sympathiser and empathiser with fascists. Her love-in with Pinochet was just disgusting and apparently she was totally indifferent to the thousands of people he had tortured to death.
Original post by Napp
Lets be fair it was a riot, not a coup. The word coup might play well to rile up the medias audience but the event was an absolute nonevent outside of it happening to occur where it did. It didnt ever stand a chance of succeeding, merely restraining someone from saying aye not really being coup material

The cases going through the courts in the US show a high degree of prior planning and collusion between the Proud Boys and other groups, including serving cops and Army officers. Perhaps you've also forgotten that there was a van load of bombs nearby and messages were going out to supporters to bring guns. Oh and a number of rioters as you know had equipment with them to take prisoners and were advocating murdering Democrats. Sure sounds like a coup. Not all coups consist of swarthy men with bandoliers but a lot consist of storming government buildings, killing officials and bombing or setting fire to them, all of which were planned by elements of the rioters that day.
Original post by Napp
How on earth could a 'political point' be a mitigating factor :lol:
Your idea of punishment is rather quaint though, make him be a rubbernecker whilst others clean up his vandalism.
The fact of the matter is simple Church was a great man who helped the country survive the nazi onslaught. all those whining about how mean he was miss the point that that is what everyone thought in the day and no one with half a brain cell really cares if a historical figure held opinions that may be questionable by todays standards. Such people being intellectually clueless at the very best considering they view the entirety of humanity up till today to be a bunch of fascists because they didnt approve of sodomy back in the day :rolleyes:. applying modern moral frameworks to historical figures, utterly moronic idea for no observable purpose.
I find it odd you support destroying public property though. Do you also approve of petrol bombing a police station because a black person was held their for questioning? It being a political point in your words...

There is nothing in what I said that supports destroying public property.
How did you turn watching the clean up (because the vandal doesn't deserve to be trusted with their hands on the statue, let alone to do a professional enough job of it), 1 night in jail, and a large fine, in to me supporting destroying public property?
Mitigating circumstances are used in judging the sentence for many crimes. That doesn't mean I support the crime. Many people would be surprised that jail should even be an option if it was a first offence, and bearing in mind they're a soldier who has more mitigating cause to have strong feelings about wartime politicians.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Napp
The fact of the matter is simple Church was a great man who helped the country survive the nazi onslaught. all those whining about how mean he was miss the point that that is what everyone thought in the day and no one with half a brain cell really cares if a historical figure held opinions that may be questionable by todays standards.

Meh, Churchill was not a particularly popular figure in his time outside of the specific context of the war, most people regarded him as a bit of an eccentric has-been. There were good reasons why he'd been long out of government before 1939 and why the electorate decisively chose not to keep him in office the moment the war was over.
Reply 94
The cases going through the courts in the US show a high degree of prior planning and collusion between the Proud Boys and other groups, including serving cops and Army officers. Perhaps you've also forgotten that there was a van load of bombs nearby and messages were going out to supporters to bring guns. Oh and a number of rioters as you know had equipment with them to take prisoners and were advocating murdering Democrats. Sure sounds like a coup. Not all coups consist of swarthy men with bandoliers but a lot consist of storming government buildings, killing officials and bombing or setting fire to them, all of which were planned by elements of the rioters that day.

Nope still sounds like an angry riot as opposed to a 'coup'.
I'm not entirely sure why youre getting so flustered over a semantic argument though given it hardly matters what its called :lol:
Original post by Napp
Nope still sounds like an angry riot as opposed to a 'coup'.
I'm not entirely sure why youre getting so flustered over a semantic argument though given it hardly matters what its called :lol:

It's been a long running campaign by the Right to decline to admit that it was a coup attempt orchestrated by Trump.

Today it's come out that the House committee has evidence that some Republican Congressmen organised advance tours of Congress for coup leaders the day before, to familiarise them with the complex.
(edited 1 year ago)
It's been a long running campaign by the Right to decline to admit that it was a coup attempt orchestrated by Trump.

Today it's come out that the House committee has evidence that some Republican Congressmen organised advance tours of Congress for coup leaders the day before, to familiarise them with the complex.

There's no evidence of orchestration imo or that they had a plan to seize power as opposed to riot in the building. It wasn't that organised.

At best Trump incited some violence (and I find this dubious) but do I think there was any way to seize power, no.
Original post by Rakas21
There's no evidence of orchestration imo or that they had a plan to seize power as opposed to riot in the building. It wasn't that organised.

At best Trump incited some violence (and I find this dubious) but do I think there was any way to seize power, no.

They didn't as far as we know have a very masterly military plan, no, but a coup attempt need not be well staged or planned to still be a coup attempt.
Original post by Rakas21

The fact that an attempted coup was pathetic, badly organised and bound to fail, doesn't mean it wasn't an attempted coup.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by DSilva
The fact that an attempted coup was pathetic, badly organised and bound to fail, doesn't mean it wasn't an attempted coup.

Likewise, you can bleat on about it being an attempted coup all you want; it doesn’t mean it was an attempted coup.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending