what a-levels should i take?

Watch this thread
Violet5567
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
hii so im not entirely sure what a-levels to take and my interview with the college i want to go to is in a couple days...
here are the subjects im thinking of: politics, sociology, english language, philosophy and ethics, economics or business.

i definitely want to do politics i think but if its better to take other combinations then id happily not do it

im not too sure about sociology, it seems fun but idk if it has a massive work load as im trying to do 4 subjects and they're all writing so im scared that ill have too much and that it's not really worth it as idk if it would be helpful for law

i also want to do eng lang but i dont actually like it (i think id do well tho) but i want to do law in uni and i think it would probably be beneficial as my 4th subject

and then i also really like the sound of philosophy and ethics, i've looked online and everyone says that its fairly easy espescially compared to philosophy itself and i think i would really enjoy it

and then finally i feel like my subjects are all humanities based and idk if that will limit me so i was thinking of doing either economics or business, im doing gcse business and so far ive got 9 on all my mocks (my gcse is in like 5 days so wish me luck) and i like the content but online it says that economics looks better but it can be harder because of the maths but i would say im fairly good at maths so idk

so i was wondering wat u guys thought would be good subject combinations , sorry this is so long honestly at this point i think im just procrastinating but i do need to figure this out in time for my interview

thank youuuu
Squiggles1238
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I'm sure you've heard this a lot already, but it's honestly not worth taking a 4th A Level, it's just added stress, it's better to have 3 strong A levels, then 4 mediocre ones.

For law, you can really do whatever you want (with the exceptions of general studies and critical thinking), although essay subjects are preferred over subjects like music, art, sports and drama. Some unis do have lists of preferred subjects, but I'm fairly certain all of the subjects you've listed would come under them.
Doing all humanities may not be such a bad thing if you're genuinely interested in the subjects and will do well in them, after all, theres no point in taking something you don't want to do, which leads me onto the next thing you mentioned. Yes, english would be a good option to take for law, but if it's something you really don't want to do and you wouldn't enjoy, then don't take it.
Politics seems a good option to take, sociology also seems good, and either business or economics would be a good option. I can't speak from personal experience as I've not done the subject myself, but don't underestimate how hard or easy a subject will be. Some will tell you philosophy is easy, others will say they found it extremely difficult, its a subjective experience that only you will know if you will enjoy and be good at. If you do decide to take it, then take it because you honestly want to, not because you think it will be easy.
I hope this has been of some help to you! I wouldn't overly stress about your choices, as all the subjects you've listed are all good for law, and the good thing about the entry requirements for law is there isn't basically ever any specific required subjects (only 'preferred ones'). Feel free to ask any questions
Hijabi Gal
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
history?
Msbrownie.xo
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Violet5567)
hii so im not entirely sure what a-levels to take and my interview with the college i want to go to is in a couple days...
here are the subjects im thinking of: politics, sociology, english language, philosophy and ethics, economics or business.

i definitely want to do politics i think but if its better to take other combinations then id happily not do it

im not too sure about sociology, it seems fun but idk if it has a massive work load as im trying to do 4 subjects and they're all writing so im scared that ill have too much and that it's not really worth it as idk if it would be helpful for law

i also want to do eng lang but i dont actually like it (i think id do well tho) but i want to do law in uni and i think it would probably be beneficial as my 4th subject

and then i also really like the sound of philosophy and ethics, i've looked online and everyone says that its fairly easy espescially compared to philosophy itself and i think i would really enjoy it

and then finally i feel like my subjects are all humanities based and idk if that will limit me so i was thinking of doing either economics or business, im doing gcse business and so far ive got 9 on all my mocks (my gcse is in like 5 days so wish me luck) and i like the content but online it says that economics looks better but it can be harder because of the maths but i would say im fairly good at maths so idk

so i was wondering wat u guys thought would be good subject combinations , sorry this is so long honestly at this point i think im just procrastinating but i do need to figure this out in time for my interview

thank youuuu
If u want a life don’t do politics, philo n ethics is easy
Last edited by Msbrownie.xo; 1 month ago
Violet5567
Rep:
(Original post by Squiggles1238)
I'm sure you've heard this a lot already, but it's honestly not worth taking a 4th A Level, it's just added stress, it's better to have 3 strong A levels, then 4 mediocre ones.

For law, you can really do whatever you want (with the exceptions of general studies and critical thinking), although essay subjects are preferred over subjects like music, art, sports and drama. Some unis do have lists of preferred subjects, but I'm fairly certain all of the subjects you've listed would come under them.
Doing all humanities may not be such a bad thing if you're genuinely interested in the subjects and will do well in them, after all, theres no point in taking something you don't want to do, which leads me onto the next thing you mentioned. Yes, english would be a good option to take for law, but if it's something you really don't want to do and you wouldn't enjoy, then don't take it.
Politics seems a good option to take, sociology also seems good, and either business or economics would be a good option. I can't speak from personal experience as I've not done the subject myself, but don't underestimate how hard or easy a subject will be. Some will tell you philosophy is easy, others will say they found it extremely difficult, its a subjective experience that only you will know if you will enjoy and be good at. If you do decide to take it, then take it because you honestly want to, not because you think it will be easy.
I hope this has been of some help to you! I wouldn't overly stress about your choices, as all the subjects you've listed are all good for law, and the good thing about the entry requirements for law is there isn't basically ever any specific required subjects (only 'preferred ones'). Feel free to ask any questions
first of all thank you sm
and yeh i have heard that a lot but i want to get into cambridge hopefully and most of the people that get in have 4 a-levels so im trying to increase my chances
i feel like i could put up with doing english because although i dont like learning it or doing it in general when it comes to writing the essays themselves or answering the questions in exams i genuinely enjoy that, and i feel like if its worth it i wouldnt mind doing it espescially seen as i enjoy and am interested in every other subject that im trying to decide from so it wouldnt be too bad to have one subject that im not overly excited for
i genuinely want to do philosophy because its interesting but people saying it was easy definitely swayed my opinion but you do make a good point

thanks again this has been so much help i really appreciate it
do you think doing economics, politics, sociology and English be good or would it be better to drop a mediocre one and focus on doing really well in the others? as id like to think i can handle the stress but idrk
Violet5567
Rep:
(Original post by Hijabi Gal)
history?
im horrendously bad at history, i only managed to get a 5 in my past mock after failing every single mock for the past 2 years:sigh:
maybe alevel history is different because i do enjoy doing history and im good at the essay writing part (i get 8s and 9s in my english)
i'll take a look at the curriculum thank youuu for the suggestion
Violet5567
Rep:
(Original post by Msbrownie.xo)
really? does it have a lot of work?
butterfliesss
Badges: 11
Report 1 month ago
Like other users have already said, taking 3 a levels and doing well in them is much better than 4 and not doing as well as you could. Unis only offer based off 3 a levels too, so a 4th would come more as a hindrance than a benefit I imagine.

It’s important to also take into consideration the subjects you enjoy. There’s no point spending 2 years on a subject you absolutely hate. If I were to pick three for you based off your post it would be politics, philosophy and ethics and then either sociology/business/economics. I wouldn’t bother with English language if you don’t feel you would enjoy it. If you really wanted to, you could also consider an EPQ?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
and yeh i have heard that a lot but i want to get into cambridge hopefully and most of the people that get in have 4 a-levels so im trying to increase my chances
Where did you get that idea from?
meemmeememme
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi, I currently take 3 essay based subjects for A levels incl sociology and Sociology is very content heavy. As you’ve mentioned you don’t want a heavy workload, I suggest leaving sociology- ITS SO MUCH CONTENT. The Knowledge is pretty easy to grasp, the amount of knowledge is the problem. If you’re able to manage content heavy subjects with lots of memorisation without feeling burnt out, go for it! But if not, I suggest choosing one subject that’s less essay based and something you can relax more in considering you’re taking four a levels,
I hope this helps x
j_el.s
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I’m currently doing Sociology in Year 12 and I didn’t do it for GCSE but it’s actually been pretty paced and interesting. It takes in major social and cultural issues in the world today so if you’re worried about workload, don’t be, since you just basically have to link some key terms and the real world. Anyways, goodluck!
meemmeememme
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by j_el.s)
I’m currently doing Sociology in Year 12 and I didn’t do it for GCSE but it’s actually been pretty paced and interesting. It takes in major social and cultural issues in the world today so if you’re worried about workload, don’t be, since you just basically have to link some key terms and the real world. Anyways, goodluck!
That’s only half the content you’ve done. Year 13 will be harder trust me.
Squiggles1238
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Msbrownie.xo)
politics do be hard my teacher has tried to tell us that 2nd year is more interesting, but we all already know it only gets worse, and will in no way get any better!
Still, I'm sure there are people that do enjoy it and find it interesting
Squiggles1238
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
i feel like i could put up with doing english because although i dont like learning it or doing it in general when it comes to writing the essays themselves or answering the questions in exams i genuinely enjoy that, and i feel like if its worth it i wouldnt mind doing it espescially seen as i enjoy and am interested in every other subject that im trying to decide from so it wouldnt be too bad to have one subject that im not overly excited for
i genuinely want to do philosophy because its interesting but people saying it was easy definitely swayed my opinion but you do make a good point

thanks again this has been so much help i really appreciate it
do you think doing economics, politics, sociology and English be good or would it be better to drop a mediocre one and focus on doing really well in the others? as id like to think i can handle the stress but idrk
I'm not quite sure that the majority of applicants to cambridge will have 4 A levels to be honest. I would still advise you take 3 A levels not 4, I was adamant in year 11 I wanted to do 4, but oh my am I glad I didn't. The workload is such a huge step up from GCSE, and sure, a lot of people can handle 4 A levels, no problem, but if you don't need the 4th, I really wouldn't recommend taking it.
I wouldn't say any of the subjects you've listed would be mediocre, but if you can, I would say just pick 3 out of those 4 subjects you've just listed. Obviously english would be the most preferable for you to take, but it's really up to you which ones you think you will do best in.
Squiggles1238
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by meemmeememme)
That’s only half the content you’ve done. Year 13 will be harder trust me.
reading this comment fills me with dread; I'm doing the full 2 year A level sociology course in 1 year next year
j_el.s
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
But with all things considered, if you’re genuinely interested in the subject then you’ll do perfectly fine. Year 13 content for me is Crime and Deviance and I honestly can’t wait.
juicygcse
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The reason that past cohorts going to Cambridge have the majority of people taking 4 A levels (if that is true) is because linear A levels were only introduced a few years ago so it was the norm to take 4 and drop one after getting the AS qualification. Now AS means nothing so there is no point, I know at my school they won't even let you start with 4 anymore unless one is further maths
meemmeememme
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Squiggles1238)
reading this comment fills me with dread; I'm doing the full 2 year A level sociology course in 1 year next year
Oh 😧 whys that happening? Did you drop a subject and pick sociology at the end of year 1? The content is okay if you’re able to dedicate some hours everyday to learning it and not leaving it last minute, I think you’ll get on fairly okay then. It just becomes a hassle when you cram it all in because it takes so long to do tht even😩 Dw, I’m sure you’ll be able to do it fairly easily if u acc use study timetables ahaha As tht comment said previously, it is easy to understand it’s just remembering all of it that’s the problem
Squiggles1238
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by meemmeememme)
Oh 😧 whys that happening? Did you drop a subject and pick sociology at the end of year 1? The content is okay if you’re able to dedicate some hours everyday to learning it and not leaving it last minute, I think you’ll get on fairly okay then. It just becomes a hassle when you cram it all in because it takes so long to do tht even😩 Dw, I’m sure you’ll be able to do it fairly easily if u acc use study timetables ahaha As tht comment said previously, it is easy to understand it’s just remembering all of it that’s the problem
Basically I'm doing a 3rd year of college, so I'm doing A2 politics, and because i need to have a full timetable, i still have 2 slots to fill, so i have to fast track an A level and I chose sociology. So basically I will have 1 politics lesson a day and 2 sociology lessons (one AS content, one A2 content)

Can I ask, do you happen to know if there is much cross over between research methods for sociology and research methods for psychology?
Roxibox123
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Eng and history
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (31)
44.93%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads