Pharmacology at uni

Watch this thread
studeny
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am soon going to write my personal statement and was wondering what i could put in mine for wanting to study pharmacology. Also are there any specific work experience i should try and get that could make me stand out.
BiomedStudent3
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Work Experience Possibilities
When I was in college I went to a pharmacy for a day which at the time seemed completely unrelated but actually ended up working well. They had a procedural manual for work experience pupils that look a little worn so it must have been common at least for that pharmacy. As pharmacologists can work in pharmacies, it seems like a good bet for you and I think will make you stand out

To go out of your way to get work experience like this shows initiative and a natural interest in the area rather than just telling the reader of your personal statement that pharmacology is something you are passionate/enthusiastic about. It could also serve as an argument for you already preparing for the workplace too. In all honesty just by doing work experience to prepare that you've put some thought into it is good.

You could do this and then ask depending on the pharmacologist in the pharmacy about any advice they have to set you in good stead. And Key pieces of knowledge they need every day etc.

Personal Statement Advice
Start by talking about your natural interests; This could be how they have developed while studying at college/sixth form and how this makes the course a great fit for you and you a good fit for the course (e.g. I said my interest if I had to categorised they would be understanding how the body works and how the disease is understood hence why Biomed was the perfect course for me)

Then detail work experience you've done (e.g., worked in a pharmacy which meant learning difficult terminology, communication, teamwork, attention to detail, being independent but knowing when to ask questions which all require if I was going to be a biomedical scientist and for being a pharmacologist)

Then include if there are any particular assignments that really help to decide to study pharmacology and encourage your interest (e.g., a report I had to write focused on the development of germ theory thus my furthered interest in microbiology and some research that greatly contributed to the beginnings of Biomed. Stuff I ended up being taught at uni)

Then detail assignments that have prepared you for the academic requirements (e.g., I had to do my own hypothesis-driven research in college in a psychology unit very similar to a dissertation albeit to a lower level). This could be spurred by going to speak with a pharmacologist and seeing if anything you have done in your studies could be expanded upon or directly related to pharmacology.

This will take at least a little effort but it is something the uni admissions like and want to see.

Hope this helps!
Last edited by BiomedStudent3; 1 month ago
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
There is no required work experience for pharmacology and nothing really that useful you could do as a 6th form student. Pharmacology is not pharmacy and does not qualify you to work as a pharmacist nor does work experience in a pharmacy really give you any insight into pharmacology (i.e. the science of drugs and their interactions and effects on the body).

Just write about your interest in the subject based on what you've read and studied within and beyond your A-level subjects.
studeny
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by BiomedStudent3)
Work Experience Possibilities
When I was in college I went to a pharmacy for a day which at the time seemed completely unrelated but actually ended up working well. They had a procedural manual for work experience pupils that look a little worn so it must have been common at least for that pharmacy. As pharmacologists can work in pharmacies, it seems like a good bet for you and I think will make you stand out

To go out of your way to get work experience like this shows initiative and a natural interest in the area rather than just telling the reader of your personal statement that pharmacology is something you are passionate/enthusiastic about. It could also serve as an argument for you already preparing for the workplace too. In all honesty just by doing work experience to prepare that you've put some thought into it is good.

You could do this and then ask depending on the pharmacologist in the pharmacy about any advice they have to set you in good stead. And Key pieces of knowledge they need every day etc.

Personal Statement Advice
Start by talking about your natural interests; This could be how they have developed while studying at college/sixth form and how this makes the course a great fit for you and you a good fit for the course (e.g. I said my interest if I had to categorised they would be understanding how the body works and how the disease is understood hence why Biomed was the perfect course for me)

Then detail work experience you've done (e.g., worked in a pharmacy which meant learning difficult terminology, communication, teamwork, attention to detail, being independent but knowing when to ask questions which all require if I was going to be a biomedical scientist and for being a pharmacologist)

Then include if there are any particular assignments that really help to decide to study pharmacology and encourage your interest (e.g., a report I had to write focused on the development of germ theory thus my furthered interest in microbiology and some research that greatly contributed to the beginnings of Biomed. Stuff I ended up being taught at uni)

Then detail assignments that have prepared you for the academic requirements (e.g., I had to do my own hypothesis-driven research in college in a psychology unit very similar to a dissertation albeit to a lower level). This could be spurred by going to speak with a pharmacologist and seeing if anything you have done in your studies could be expanded upon or directly related to pharmacology.

This will take at least a little effort but it is something the uni admissions like and want to see.

Hope this helps!
Thank you so much really appreciate it
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Check out this as a starting point https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6666418
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (56)
26.67%
As I expected (67)
31.9%
Harder (79)
37.62%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.81%

Watched Threads