The Student Room Group

How can I write my Personal statement on PPE and International Relations?

URGENT

I am keen to apply to Oxford for a PPE but i'm also really interested in doing international relations at other unis . how can i write my PS to fit both courses . for my alevels im doing economics history and maths . i am not keen to do pure economics for uni as i am not keen on the maths
International relations is a part of politics (the second P) at Oxford, so relatively easily I imagine. You can link it more into the economics angle with discussions about international political economy as well. You could also discuss e.g. ethical issues or political theory matters underpinning IR to link to the philosophy side, while still being IR relevant.

Note that at many unis IR and politics are two sides of the same coin, and in some they're purely synonymous as far as degree courses go. Very few unis have a separate IR department (LSE is an example of such an exception).

Note that for most PPE courses you do the same economics modules as single subject economics students, just not as many of them, so you are still going to need to do a fair bit of maths in a PPE course (at Oxford or elsewhere), albeit at Oxford you can drop economics after first year.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by artful_lounger
International relations is a part of politics (the second P) at Oxford, so relatively easily I imagine. You can link it more into the economics angle with discussions about international political economy as well. You could also discuss e.g. ethical issues or political theory matters underpinning IR to link to the philosophy side, while still being IR relevant.

Note that at many unis IR and politics are two sides of the same coin, and in some they're purely synonymous as far as degree courses go. Very few unis have a separate IR department (LSE is an example of such an exception).

Note that for most PPE courses you do the same economics modules as single subject economics students, just not as many of them, so you are still going to need to do a fair bit of maths in a PPE course (at Oxford or elsewhere), albeit at Oxford you can drop economics after first year.

Thank you so much! Would u say it would be better to apply for PPE at other unis as well as I am equally interested in both IR and PPE
Original post by year12student55
Thank you so much! Would u say it would be better to apply for PPE at other unis as well as I am equally interested in both IR and PPE

I mean it's generally best to apply to one course at all your unis to ensure your personal statement is suitable well focused. For two very closely related courses you can get away with it (e.g. politics vs IR) but when you have others involving subjects unrelated then it becomes more difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest