The Student Room Group

Access course help!!

Hello, I am doing an access course after doing my A-levels but I didn’t do well in my A-levels due to some health problems. Right now I assume I would get 24 or 27 distinctions and the rest merits/passes before the end of my course. My problem is that I have been rejected by all the universities I wanted to go to (QMUL, Birmingham and probably kings will reject me) and they all ask for minimum 30 distinctions which I don’t think I will achieve the 30 but I can achieve 27 or 24 distinctions out of 45 credits. I had a very difficult year due to my parents divorcing and it was rough and with my ongoing illness.
Does anyone think that if I get a few points below 30 distinctions I will get into the unis listed above, or I would need to redo my access course.
Just some extra information I applied for 4 biochemistry courses and one biology course.
Thank you everyone.
(edited 1 year ago)
Nobody can tell but this year it isnt likely they will accept you due to grade inflation.

It depends on the numbers meeting their offers. If they have enough students they will reject you. If they dont have enough they might accept you.

You dont have to take another year. Look for universities who are accepting your grades in clearing and go elsewhere..
If they have already rejected you if wont matter what grades you get.

There are other Universities within your likely grades - apply there.
I think you should apply to other Unis with lower entry requirements if you do get rejected from all 5, rather than repeating the year.

Quick Reply

Latest