nananona
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I'm 21 years old (came to UK 3 years age) and I want to go to medical school. For that I need to have at least 4 GCSE( I only got one GCSE at grade 5 in math ) I had an appointment with a career adviser and she made me disappointed with myself, she said I'm old and I don't need to have a GCSE in any science subject and and some university accept me to study.Please help me, what should I do?
AD_ADMIT
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by nananona)
Hi, I'm 21 years old (came to UK 3 years age) and I want to go to medical school. For that I need to have at least 4 GCSE( I only got one GCSE at grade 5 in math ) I had an appointment with a career adviser and she made me disappointed with myself, she said I'm old and I don't need to have a GCSE in any science subject and and some university accept me to study.Please help me, what should I do?
what medical subject?
Cloudster
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You are not too old to take GCSEs. I know people who are in their 40s who took GCSE just to get a qualification. If you want to go to medical school and you need 4 GCSEs I believe you should go ahead and take them.
You don’t have to enroll in a school to take them, however if you wish to take them it would cost at least £300 in total for the cost of the exam.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Sukn)
You are not too old to take GCSEs. I know people who are in their 40s who took GCSE just to get a qualification. If you want to go to medical school and you need 4 GCSEs I believe you should go ahead and take them.
You don’t have to enroll in a school to take them, however if you wish to take them it would cost at least £300 in total for the cost of the exam.
nah it's not that much.
Average of about £175 per subject for the exam fees. The OP can always self-study so there's no need to pay for tutors or a course provider (just the textbooks really).

OP if you're taking science subjects as a private candidate, you'll want to take IGCSEs rather than GCSEs. Same for English Language. This avoids the practicals.

Maths you can take either IGCSE or GCSE.
Last edited by PinkMobilePhone; 3 months ago
Cloudster
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
nah it's not that much.
Average of about £175 per subject for the exam fees. The OP can always self-study so there's no need to pay for tutors or a course provider (just the textbooks really).

OP if you're taking science subjects as a private candidate, you'll want to take IGCSEs rather than GCSEs. Same for English Language. This avoids the practicals.

Maths you can take either IGCSE or GCSE.
Yes IGCSE is definitely easier and you’re able to learn everything within a year so if you start now you can take the exam next summer
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Sukn)
Yes IGCSE is definitely easier and you’re able to learn everything within a year so if you start now you can take the exam next summer
Easier? No. They are comparable in terms of difficulty, the syllabi are just different. If they were easier, they wouldn't be accepted by colleges, universities, and employers in lieu of GCSEs.
Don't make the mistake of thinking that IGCSE students work any less hard than GCSE students.

More accessible? Yes in some subjects, due to the lack of practicals such as science experiments, and English speaking tests, etc.

In terms of taking everything within a year, you can do that with GCSEs or IGCSEs. Any GCSE that doesn't have a practical element can be taken by private candidates, and can be studied within a year.
Last edited by PinkMobilePhone; 3 months ago
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You should ask the universities for advice not TSR.

What your careers adviser was trying to explain is that as you would count as a mature student and come from a different country which may have a different education system, your application will be treated differently and it's possible you could be accepted without the normal GCSEs. So you need to phone or email Admissions at a few unis with medical schools and see what they say about how you should progress. As you will see from the attached link there are some Access to Medicine courses designed for mature students which do not require a Science background, though you may still need GCSE English or equivalent.

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...ne-courses.pdf
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (41)
35.65%
They're exactly what I expected (29)