A level chemistry question help needed please

Watch this thread
Bethanyjayne04
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi I've been given a worksheet of questions to complete but I'm completely stumped on the final question. Any help would be greatly appreciated .. this content hasn't been taught in class yet

KC for the equilibrium below 10.0 at temperature T. If 1.0 mole of the ester is mixed with 5.0 moles of water and the mixture allowed to reach equilibrium, how many moles of each species wilbe present at equilibrium ( you will need to solve a quadratic equation to answer this )
HCOOCH3(g) + H2O(g) - HCOOH(g) + CH3O(g)

Thanks in advance
Last edited by Bethanyjayne04; 1 month ago
tony_dolby
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
" this content hasn't been taught in class yet"

Are you sitting your A-level this year? If you are, it might be worth checking to see whether solving quadratic equations are required. Rest assured though, you can still score a lot of marks on an exam question like this without getting to the correct final answer.

Like any equilbrium question, write out the chemical equation. Underneath you put the moles present at the start of the reaction. In this case, 1.0 mole of ester and 5.0 moles of water. Zero moles for the acid and methanol. The molar ratios are all 1:1 so you can call the moles of acid 'x' and the moles of methanol 'x'.

You second line under the equation is moles present at equilibrium. The moles of water and ester will decrease by the value of 'x'. (5.0-x) and (1.0-x)

Write your expression for Kc. But remember that each term must be divided by V which is the volume. You'll get a mark for this.

Now, because there are equal numbers of moles on each side, the Vs will cancel out. You can write out the Kc expression again. Kc = x2 divided by (5.0-x) times (1.0-x)

You can now rearrange this fraction to the required form.
Bethanyjayne04
Rep:
(Original post by tony_dolby)

Are you sitting your A-level this year? If you are, it might be worth checking to see whether solving quadratic equations are required. Rest assured though, you can still score a lot of marks on an exam question like this without getting to the correct final answer.

Like any equilbrium question, write out the chemical equation. Underneath you put the moles present at the start of the reaction. In this case, 1.0 mole of ester and 5.0 moles of water. Zero moles for the acid and methanol. The molar ratios are all 1:1 so you can call the moles of acid 'x' and the moles of methanol 'x'.

You second line under the equation is moles present at equilibrium. The moles of water and ester will decrease by the value of 'x'. (5.0-x) and (1.0-x)

Write your expression for Kc. But remember that each term must be divided by V which is the volume. You'll get a mark for this.

Now, because there are equal numbers of moles on each side, the Vs will cancel out. You can write out the Kc expression again. Kc = x2 divided by (5.0-x) times (1.0-x)

Hi , .currently in my first year so won't be sitting my a levels untill next year.
Thanks for your help it's greatly appreciated, I'm struggling with format in which to set the question into.. I can do the workings out just not sure of how to lay it out on paper. Thanks tho
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bethanyjayne04)
Hi I've been given a worksheet of questions to complete but I'm completely stumped on the final question. Any help would be greatly appreciated .. this content hasn't been taught in class yet

KC for the equilibrium below 10.0 at temperature T. If 1.0 mole of the ester is mixed with 5.0 moles of water and the mixture allowed to reach equilibrium, how many moles of each species wilbe present at equilibrium ( you will need to solve a quadratic equation to answer this )

Thanks in advance
Which spec. are you studying?
Bethanyjayne04
Rep:
(Original post by Pigster)
Which spec. are you studying?
Aqa
Cileen
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Thanks in advance
Okay so
HCOOCH3(g) +H2O -> HCOOH + CH3O
1mol 5mol X X
X-1 X-1 X+1 X+1
The only thing I don’t get is they didn’t tell you the equilibrium of any of those because you need an equilibrium to be able to solve for X that 10 equilibrium is for which element
Pigster
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Aqa
I teach OCR A and it clearly states that the quadratic equation is not needed.

When I taught AQA, which was more than a decade ago, we didn't need to do quadratics. I would bet things haven't changed, but there is no reference to the quadratic equation on the spec. either to say that it is or isn't needed.
APat1234
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by tony_dolby)

Yep, I'm pretty sure quadratics won't appear in exams
tony_dolby
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi , .currently in my first year so won't be sitting my a levels untill next year.
Thanks for your help it's greatly appreciated, I'm struggling with format in which to set the question into.. I can do the workings out just not sure of how to lay it out on paper. Thanks tho
Learning how to lay out the solution neatly and logically is very important and helps eliminate silly errors. Jim Clark's Calculations in AS/A Chemistry is by far the best book around. In my opinion, Lister and Renshaw's AQA textbook has too many pictures and not enough substance.
Bethanyjayne04
Rep:
Thanks everyone . Your help has been greatly appreciated
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (23)
33.33%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (31)
44.93%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (14)
20.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.45%

Watched Threads