Help! Stay at edinburgh history or law at Bristol??

Watch this thread
mauvejellyfish
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am a first year history student at University of Edinburgh but have an offer to study law at Bristol in September (so will be a first year again but because its 3 years I would still graduate at the same time) and have no idea whether to stay and finish history or do law.

I am quite interested in history but found this year quite dull and the idea of law excites me, although I reckon it will be tougher and I'm scared I might not like the course once I start...
I think I want a career in commercial law and know training contracts are 50/50 law grads vs non-law grads. Basically in a massive pickle and can't decide. I grew up in Bristol and absolutely love the city whereas Edi feels a little small but I could picture 3 more years here. I'm scared about starting over knowing no-one but it feels like an amazing opportunity but then again Edinburgh is pretty respected... ahhh!!!
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Note, if you change course now, you will lose your "gift year" of SFE funding - so if the new course isn't right for you and you have to change again, you would need to self fund at least one year of tuition fees. Likewise if you had to repeat a year for any reason.

There is essentially no difference between the "reputation" of the two unis and that's a pretty poor way to choose between them anyway. But even if you did choose between them on that basis, you're making a lateral move.

Also Edinburgh is larger than Bristol both geographically and demographically so not exactly sure why you think it's smaller...
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (47)
30.92%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (67)
44.08%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (37)
24.34%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.66%

Watched Threads