The Student Room Group

Third Law of Thermodynamics

Why isn't the third law of thermodynamics not taught in first year physics but the other three laws are taught
If this is about Uni, we got all three laws in first year. For AS/A-level you only get the 1st (and maybe the 2nd as a passing comment) as far as I am aware. We never got anything about Entropy there. Depends on Uni???

Also my might depend on course. I know that basically every physics student (regardless of "With Astro, With Nuclear, With Meteorology, etc") got the same courses in first year, barring 40 "free" credits. These 80 taken credits included thermo with all 3 laws, though.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Callicious
If this is about Uni, we got all three laws in first year. For AS/A-level you only get the 1st (and maybe the 2nd as a passing comment) as far as I am aware. We never got anything about Entropy there. Depends on Uni???

Also my might depend on course. I know that basically every physics student (regardless of "With Astro, With Nuclear, With Meteorology, etc") got the same courses in first year, barring 40 "free" credits. These 80 taken credits included thermo with all 3 laws, though.

I thought there were four laws of thermodynamics and in first year uni we only study (zeroth, first and second law but not the third so I was wondering why that is.Its also not included in some general undergraduate physics textbooks.
Reply 3
I didn't do any thermo until 2nd year.
3rd law has probably the least day-to-day relevance.
Original post by Darkseid807
I thought there were four laws of thermodynamics and in first year uni we only study (zeroth, first and second law but not the third so I was wondering why that is.Its also not included in some general undergraduate physics textbooks.

I don't think we explicitly got taught the zeroth law- all our textbooks have it naturally but it's generally just taken as a given/common sense.

The 3rd isn't really that useful for basic thermo courses. It gets very useful later though.

Quick Reply

Latest