Turn on thread page Beta

Anyone ever had their nose broken? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    On Saturday at karate, a new girl from another style joined our class. She's a brown belt in that style and was, I found out later, a champion fighter at 9years old. I wasn't told this, as I happilly paired up with her to do some sparring at the end of the class.

The girl smacked me in the face with a roundhouse kick (I'm 5'10, by the way and she was about 5'5 max) a few minutes into our 'light contact' bout.

My GOD! Talk about blinding pain! my nose exploded with blood and I almost bit through my tongue (I stupidly forgot my gumshield). I think I actually saw stars for a few minutes.

Anyway, I was taken to the side and after about 15 minutes the bleeding stopped and I could see again through the tears in my eyes. There's just a little bit of swelling and the beginings of a nice big ole' bruise spread across the bridge of my nose and under my eyes a little (mmm, attractive! :rolleyes: ). It throbs a bit if I touch it.

The point to this ramble is, d'ya think it's broken? my Sensei let me go home after he was sure the bleeding had stopped and I'd calmed down enough but I'm still a bit dubious...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red665)
    On Saturday at karate, a new girl from another style joined our class. She's a brown belt in that style and was, I found out later, a champion fighter at 9years old. I wasn't told this, as I happilly paired up with her to do some sparring at the end of the class.

The girl smacked me in the face with a roundhouse kick (I'm 5'10, by the way and she was about 5'5 max) a few minutes into our 'light contact' bout.

My GOD! Talk about blinding pain! my nose exploded with blood and I almost bit through my tongue (I stupidly forgot my gumshield). I think I actually saw stars for a few minutes.

Anyway, I was taken to the side and after about 15 minutes the bleeding stopped and I could see again through the tears in my eyes. There's just a little bit of swelling and the beginings of a nice big ole' bruise spread across the bridge of my nose and under my eyes a little (mmm, attractive! :rolleyes: ). It throbs a bit if I touch it.

The point to this ramble is, d'ya think it's broken? my Sensei let me go home after he was sure the bleeding had stopped and I'd calmed down enough but I'm still a bit dubious...
    woa, some kick-ass girl...

i'd get it checked out by the docs if i were you...

ReputationRep:

Ouch!

Yeh I've had mine broken, i could move it side to side, only a small amount.

Give it a go, will hurt a bit but you'll know it'll move and might click too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToshTrent)
    Ouch!

Yeh I've had mine broken, i could move it side to side, only a small amount.

Give it a go, will hurt a bit but you'll know it'll move and might click too...
    :eek: :eek: I can move it a tiny bit I think, but it doesn't click... ooh, I'm scared now - I don't want to have a broken nose! :eek: !

I can breath ok though and I'm sure once the swelling's gone down a little it'll be ok... wont it?

ReputationRep:
    :eek: :eek: I can move it a tiny bit I think, but it doesn't click... ooh, I'm scared now - I don't want to have a broken nose! :eek: !

I can breath ok though and I'm sure once the swelling's gone down a little it'll be ok... wont it?
    the best thing to do is to get it checked out...
    TRUST me...
    besides, it won't hurt...
    ...i mean it won't hurt to get it checked out...

ReputationRep:

If you can breathe through it, there's nothing they'll do. Just wait for the swelling to go down, might be sore for a few weeks.

x

ReputationRep:

nah ud know if it was broken, i did karate a few years ago and got hit but was told off for not blocking :confused:

btw how old is this girl :confused: The idea of karate (in sport) is partly controling your pace and co ordination so that you DON'T actually hit, in training. Perhaps she lacks this skill lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ToshTrent)
    If you can breathe through it, there's nothing they'll do. Just wait for the swelling to go down, might be sore for a few weeks.

x
    Thanks guys for the advice

I might just go get it checked out, hey that's what doctors are for isn't it I spose?

....<mental notes to self - 1) Don't pair up with unknown brown belts again and 2) remember to block woman, block! :idea: >

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    nah ud know if it was broken, i did karate a few years ago and got hit but was told off for not blocking :confused:
    Mmm, I don't think my Sensei had the heart to tell me off as he was making sure I didn't spill blood all over his Gi lol

(Original post by horrorboy)
    btw how old is this girl :confused: The idea of karate (in sport) is partly controling your pace and co ordination so that you DON'T actually hit, in training. Perhaps she lacks this skill lol
    I think she's about 16? I know - tell me about it... her mum was there and was telling my sensei all this stuff about how she was fighting champion and once knocked someone off the mats with a kick, yadda yadda... I was so desperate to turn round and snap "It'd be a lot more impressive if she'd managed to stop a few inches away before contact!" but the look on the girl's face - she was so utterly embarrased and upset by what she did to me- that I couldn't muster the energy to start with her mum, besides, she looked scarier than the girl anyway!!

ReputationRep:
    not broken, but I've smashed it before - accidently, while playing sport of course - basketball. Ouch! :eek: Was like 3 years ago now, so all's good

ReputationRep:
    Get it checked out if you're worried/if it's still swollen in the morning, but even if it is broken unless it's displaced (in which case you'd see) there's not much to be done. But better safe than sorry

ReputationRep:
    When two of my mates Jon + Dickey were filming walking with shadows (coming to a very small cinema near u... it was written round here - another of my mates Ellie was in the original theatre production - so they used local kids for the parts - costs a lot less!!!!) the main girl walked into a door and broke her nose... so Dickey reset it for her :p: how bizaare!!

ReputationRep:
    can i ask, how can u tell the difference between someone who has broken their nose before and someone who was born with a bent 'grecian' nose?

ReputationRep:

Yeh don't worry about it. Most people have had their nose broken. I've never broken anything though (apart from my skull falling down the stairs).

ReputationRep:
    Never had my nose broken,but I've got a friend whose broken hers 3 times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissShine)
    Never had my nose broken,but I've got a friend whose broken hers 3 times.
    ouch
    and no i havent ever broken my nose in fact apart from my nail i havent broken anythin

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.