The Student Room Group

alevel biology gene technology help

what is the difference between the process using dna probes, dna hybridisation and genetic screening?
2E46A2D2-542C-44A6-B545-2E35DE63A36A.jpeg
This is from my notes, it’s talking about microarrays which I believe is similar to DNA hybridisation.
Genetic screening is when they take a blood sample of the parents or the offspring and check if they have any genetic disease (sick or carrier) which they can suffer from or carry it to the next generations.It is usually done on birth or before getting married.
Reply 2
Original post by FarahFadi
2E46A2D2-542C-44A6-B545-2E35DE63A36A.jpeg
This is from my notes, it’s talking about microarrays which I believe is similar to DNA hybridisation.
Genetic screening is when they take a blood sample of the parents or the offspring and check if they have any genetic disease (sick or carrier) which they can suffer from or carry it to the next generations.It is usually done on birth or before getting married.

thank you so much!
Original post by pbnj
what is the difference between the process using dna probes, dna hybridisation and genetic screening?

DNA probe- identify the location or presence of a specific gene by binding and then identifying that binding site
hybridisation- the act of joining two genetic material molecules together. this happens when making DNA probes
genetic screening- using DNA probes to check if a specific gene ( usually the mutation ) is present in the entire genome of the organism

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending