The Student Room Group

Not Sure Which Uni To Pick?

So far I've been admitted to Manchester, Northumbria, Sussex and Kent with an unconditional offer for ITMB (Information Technology in Management Business). I primarily wanted to go to Loughborough but they need a reference and none of my old professors are responding to me :/

My current top choices is between Sussex and Manchester but I really don't know which one to choose. I like everything about Manchester except for the course structure (seems more Business focused instead of a balance between the two) and I'm just unsure if I like Sussex.
I've already attended one year of uni in Canada but I ended up really hating the uni since I had a different experience than I expected and overall didn't like the uni (wasn't the main reason why I left).
I guess I'm just really scared of choosing another uni and hating it again so I just wanted to hear some opinions about the two.
I think the Manchester course is definitely mor business oriented although it does have some programming modules so if you’re interested in mainly computing stick to Sussex, although Sussex location is more country side ish than Manchester so there are less things to do but hey it’s a university at the end of the day there will also be fun things to do.Btw if you don’t mind I really am interested in getting into Manchester for itmb what things did you do (on personal statement) grades did you get to get in.
Reply 2
Original post by ToniAwofeso
I think the Manchester course is definitely mor business oriented although it does have some programming modules so if you’re interested in mainly computing stick to Sussex, although Sussex location is more country side ish than Manchester so there are less things to do but hey it’s a university at the end of the day there will also be fun things to do.Btw if you don’t mind I really am interested in getting into Manchester for itmb what things did you do (on personal statement) grades did you get to get in.

Hey there! Well, I ended up firming Sussex, I really couldn't stand how business-orientated the course at Manchester was (even though I really wanted to go there because of the ranking/Russell group and the city).

I took IB last year and got 39 points (7 HL Spanish, 7 HL Psychology, 6 HL ITGS, 5 SL English, 6 SL Math A&A, 6 SL Comp Sci, A EE and C TOK).
In my personal statement, I mentioned some documentaries I had watched ('The Great Hack') and my interest in cyber security. I also mentioned my extended essay which was a 4,000-word document researching how the pandemic/online learning affected kids at my school and one of my IA projects about building a database for one of my teachers. I was also in a leadership position at my school called 'digital leaders' and I helped run a conference twice that's held by my government on digital safety for kids. I also participated in an international cyber security competition called 'CyberPatriots' and mentioned how I was participating by myself as all my teammates abandoned me (competition is built for a full team so it's very hard for one person to do it on their own). I also mentioned working at a local company where I taught children how to use block code 'Scratch'. Then I mentioned how I play netball as a hobby and what I like about it. I then go on to mention that I went to university for a year in Canada but decided to switch to England (I didn't mention this in my personal statement last year). Finally, I closed it off by mentioning my career objectives and how I want to work at a multinational tech company and be a role model for other females trying to enter the technology industry.

By the way, I received an unconditional offer since I already have received my results and if it helps, last year I applied to other unis such as QMUL and UCL and received conditional offers to both of them with the same personal statement and grades.

Hope this helps!
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending