The Student Room Group

Help, will i be able to resit my gcse

Currently in year 10 and I have a GCSE today. I may not be able to make it as I have a condition and I'm not feeling well. Will they make me resit my GCSE? If so, when? If not, how will they grade and assess? And what if I come in half-day (i usually come in the second half of the day because of my condition etc) the GCSE is in the morning. Please help I have school soon.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by afkonesec
Will they make me resit my GCSE? If so, when? If not, how will they grade and assess?

There is no option to take this paper on another day; if you miss it, you miss it.

I assume the subject has more than one paper (most do). If you're able to take the other paper, then the school can request "special consideration" to have your grade based upon just that paper.

If you miss that too, then you get no grade. There is no option for it to be teacher-assessed, or based on coursework.

You could then sit both papers in the autumn, which is what many who don't get the grades they want will be doing.
Original post by DataVenia
There is no option to take this paper on another day; if you miss it, you miss it.

I assume the subject has more than one paper (most do). If you're able to take the other paper, then the school can request "special consideration" to have your grade based upon just that paper.

If you miss that too, then you get no grade. There is no option for it to be teacher-assessed, or based on coursework.

You could then sit both papers in the autumn, which is what many who don't get the grades they want will be doing.

In England the only GCSE resits in the autumn this year will be maths and English language. The original poster will be able to resit in summer of year 11 if they can't meet the conditions for enhanced grading.
(edited 1 year ago)
You're in year 10. You'll simply take it in year 11 instead. (All the papers, not just the one you have missed.)

Why didn't anyone think of this earlier? If you have a medical condition which means you can only be in school in the afternoon, it would almost certainly have been possible to make sure you were isolated in the morning and sat it in the afternoon instead. Bit late now.
Currently in year 10 and I have a GCSE today. I may not be able to make it as I have a condition and I'm not feeling well. Will they make me resit my GCSE? If so, when? If not, how will they grade and assess? And what if I come in half-day (i usually come in the second half of the day because of my condition etc) the GCSE is in the morning. Please help I have school soon.

first of all if you’re in year 10 it’s not going to be the end of the world if you sit the GCSE next year in year 11 like most people do.

i resat a couple of GCSE subjects, you just have to do it the following year, but there’s subjects such as maths that also take place in January depending on your exam board. i’m not sure if this applies to all absences but i know if you get covid during exams and can’t go in, if you sit at least 1 component you can still get a grade, but they’ve tried to spread out the first and last day of each exam for a subject so you can at least try sit 2 of them, so you should get a grade based on your performance in both. I’m not an expert though so you should get in touch with your school and ask !!
Reply 5
Original post by aliaa03
first of all if you’re in year 10 it’s not going to be the end of the world if you sit the GCSE next year in year 11 like most people do.

i resat a couple of GCSE subjects, you just have to do it the following year, but there’s subjects such as maths that also take place in January depending on your exam board. i’m not sure if this applies to all absences but i know if you get covid during exams and can’t go in, if you sit at least 1 component you can still get a grade, but they’ve tried to spread out the first and last day of each exam for a subject so you can at least try sit 2 of them, so you should get a grade based on your performance in both. I’m not an expert though so you should get in touch with your school and ask !!

yo thanks for this answer its reassuring as i ended up sitting the exam when i was in a not-so stable state but overall the exam wasnt bad and im sure i wont have to resit them .
yo thanks for this answer its reassuring as i ended up sitting the exam when i was in a not-so stable state but overall the exam wasnt bad and im sure i wont have to resit them .

awesome ! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest