The Student Room Group

Graduate Schemes (Accounting)

How difficult is it to find a graduate scheme? Is there a time limit to when I can apply? Can someone please offer some advice on this.
It depends a bit - if you have appropriate a level grades and degree they are entirely feasible.

It’s worth considering the difference between training in practice (accounting firms such as the big 4) and in industry as the recruitment paths can differ. Lots to apply for!

What stage are you at at the moment?
Original post by MissCarter786
How difficult is it to find a graduate scheme? Is there a time limit to when I can apply? Can someone please offer some advice on this.

How difficult are they to find? Very easy - think of any large corporation and they will have a graduate scheme. There are also websites like Gradcracker for STEM-related grad schemes and your uni careers service will help. For accountancy specifically, Big 4 and the ones outside e.g. Grant Thornton, BDO, RSM have them.

How difficult is it to get one? Quite difficult, but you can prepare for it. Practice psychometric tests, read up on assessment centres, and practice your interview skills.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 3
It took me a long time to get on to a graduate scheme - the thing that helped me the most was speaking to people in the profession and asking them for tips regarding the assessment centres & interviews.
Original post by sabana
It took me a long time to get on to a graduate scheme - the thing that helped me the most was speaking to people in the profession and asking them for tips regarding the assessment centres & interviews.

Thank you so much for your reply!

How long did it take you to get a grad scheme?
Reply 5
Thank you so much for your reply!

How long did it take you to get a grad scheme?

3 years, you've got to work on the interviews the most - they are really challenging for the top grad schemes as you are being compared to other applicants who have very similar degree/background.
Original post by sabana
3 years, you've got to work on the interviews the most - they are really challenging for the top grad schemes as you are being compared to other applicants who have very similar degree/background.

Thank you so much! I just got a job as an Accounts Assistant they said if I stay with them for another year they'll offer me a trainee scheme.

What qualification were you doing?
Reply 7
Thank you so much! I just got a job as an Accounts Assistant they said if I stay with them for another year they'll offer me a trainee scheme.

What qualification were you doing?

Good luck! I was doing ATT/CTA

Quick Reply