Functions- inverse of logarithm

Watch this thread
KingRich
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi,

This is a fairly simple question.

Name:  DE7B271B-BE98-4105-979A-F6AB629FEF82.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  40.9 KB

I found the inverse to be
y=in x ÷ in 2

The text book shows y= In₂ x

According to desmos both show that they are correct.

Name:  A0E1FFFD-FF74-4CAC-83DD-05F03E92D40C.jpeg
Views: 12
Size:  91.9 KB

Can someone confirm my understanding of this please
Last edited by KingRich; 1 month ago
mqb2766
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KingRich)
Hi,

This is a fairly simple question.

Name:  DE7B271B-BE98-4105-979A-F6AB629FEF82.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  40.9 KB

I found the inverse to be
y=in x ÷ in 2

The text book shows y= In₂ x

According to desmos both show that they are correct.

Name:  A0E1FFFD-FF74-4CAC-83DD-05F03E92D40C.jpeg
Views: 12
Size:  91.9 KB

Can someone confirm my understanding of this please
Thats correct. The inverse of 2^x is log_2(x) which, using the change of base formula, is also equal to ln(x)/ln(2). Or more generally
log_2(x) = log_b(x)/log_b(2)
for some base b.
Last edited by mqb2766; 1 month ago
KingRich
Rep:
(Original post by mqb2766)
Thats correct. The inverse of 2^x is log_2(x) which, using the change of base formula, is also equal to ln(x)/ln(2). Or more generally
log_2(x) = log_b(x)/log_b(2)
for some base b.
So, in a test for example. Either would be correct?
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
So, in a test for example. Either would be correct?
Both should be ok, but log_2(x) would be the obvious one because its the inverse "by defintion" and you usually give the simplest answer.

Note in the OP you said that the book said y=ln(x) is the inverse. ln() is usually the natural log, so log_e(), so as per above the answer would be ln(x)/ln(2). Your desmos defintions were fine so I didn't pick it up in the previous reply.
KingRich
Rep:
Both should be ok, but log_2(x) would be the obvious one because its the inverse "by defintion" and you usually give the simplest answer.

Note in the OP you said that the book said y=ln(x) is the inverse. ln() is usually the natural log, so log_e(), so as per above the answer would be ln(x)/ln(2). Your desmos defintions were fine so I didn't pick it up in the previous reply.
Okay. Great my first exam is 7th June lol

I have over estimated myself by miles, mainly because I got really Ill!! But overall I’m confident in what I’ve learnt so far, so here’s hoping I don’t fail too much lol.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Okay. Great my first exam is 7th June lol

I have over estimated myself by miles, mainly because I got really Ill!! But overall I’m confident in what I’ve learnt so far, so here’s hoping I don’t fail too much lol.
Good luck and make sure you hit the past exam papers before then.
KingRich
Rep:
Good luck and make sure you hit the past exam papers before then.
Mmm, I was planning to print them all off up to 2019 as far as I could find but it’s a lot of pages lol!!!!

So, I’m having to use the desktop, which won’t reflect the same set up but it should help me in terms of the layout of the questions etc

And thank you
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Mmm, I was planning to print them all off up to 2019 as far as I could find but it’s a lot of pages lol!!!!

So, I’m having to use the desktop, which won’t reflect the same set up but it should help me in terms of the layout of the questions etc

And thank you
Its worth it (at least from the time the syllabus changed), and if you need some extra exercises, have a look at edexcel as well (you're doing aqa?) as they're not that different.
KingRich
Rep:
Its worth it (at least from the time the syllabus changed), and if you need some extra exercises, have a look at edexcel as well (you're doing aqa?) as they're not that different.
Mmm, that’s correct. As far as I have learnt the only real difference is the data bank that they use for statistics and the layout of their exams with paper 1 and 2 being pure only and 3 being a combination of mechanics and statistics, which is a setup that I think I’d prefer lol.
mqb2766
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Mmm, that’s correct. As far as I have learnt the only real difference is the data bank that they use for statistics and the layout of their exams with paper 1 and 2 being pure only and 3 being a combination of mechanics and statistics, which is a setup that I think I’d prefer lol.
Its just a throwaway comment. Use the recent AQA papers first, then if you need some other stuff, something like edexcel is a reasonable resource. Also pmt has the 2021 assessment material
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com...maths-a-level/
which is a reasonable chunk of questions for each topic.
KingRich
Rep:
Its just a throwaway comment. Use the recent AQA papers first, then if you need some other stuff, something like edexcel is a reasonable resource. Also pmt has the 2021 assessment material
https://www.physicsandmathstutor.com...maths-a-level/
which is a reasonable chunk of questions for each topic.
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (45)
26.79%
As I expected (54)
32.14%
Harder (61)
36.31%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.76%

Watched Threads