mdbdidjdksnd
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
why does hiv need to use reverse transcription to make dna from rna in the host cell. Why doesn't it just have a dna strand then inject it into the host cell like normal viruses?
Redmed_
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mdbdidjdksnd)
why does hiv need to use reverse transcription to make dna from rna in the host cell. Why doesn't it just have a dna strand then inject it into the host cell like normal viruses?
For your information there are 4 types of viruses including:

1) ssRNA
2) ssDNA
3) dsRNA
4) dsDNA

Here, ss- single stranded , ds- double stranded

And the HIV you are asking is a ssRNA virus and all these types of viruses are also called retroviruses. Since our body is made of cells having DNA as genetic material, the virus tends to use the enzyme reverse transcriptase (which means opposite to transcription so it doesn't go from DNA --> RNA instead it goes from RNA --> DNA) to produce viral DNA that is capable of then getting incorporated into the host cell (our cells) genome. This process of reverse transcription is called Teminism which was discovered by Howard Martin Temin and David Baltimore in 1978. This theory went against the central dogma of the flow of genetic information proposed by Francis Crick (which was DNA --> RNA --> Protein) and hence came to be known as central dogma reverse.

Name:  HIV.png
Views: 15
Size:  111.4 KB Name:  Central Dogma.png
Views: 13
Size:  9.5 KB
Last edited by Redmed_; 1 month ago
mdbdidjdksnd
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Redmed_)
For your information there are 4 types of viruses including:

1) ssRNA
2) ssDNA
3) dsRNA
4) dsDNA

Here, ss- single stranded , ds- double stranded

And the HIV you are asking is a ssRNA virus and all these types of viruses are also called retroviruses. Since our body is made of cells having DNA as genetic material, the virus tends to use the enzyme reverse transcriptase (which means opposite to transcription so it doesn't go from DNA --> RNA instead it goes from RNA --> DNA) to produce viral DNA that is capable of then getting incorporated into the host cell (our cells) genome. This process of reverse transcription is called Teminism which was discovered by Howard Martin Temin and David Baltimore in 1978. This theory went against the central dogma of the flow of genetic information proposed by Francis Crick (which was DNA --> RNA --> Protein) and hence came to be known as central dogma reverse.

Name:  HIV.png
Views: 15
Size:  111.4 KB Name:  Central Dogma.png
Views: 13
Size:  9.5 KB
Ohh okay, thank you!!
Jpw1097
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by mdbdidjdksnd)
It just happens to be an RNA virus.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (18)
31.03%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.93%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.45%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.17%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.9%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
12.07%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.72%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.72%

Watched Threads