The Student Room Group

chemistry at oxford?

hi i'm thinking of applying for chemistry at oxford , problem is im not doing maths A-level. i'm predicted at least AAA including chemistry and biology ( other alevel is eng lit) i've done volunteering , extra curric all that
is it still worth applying?
A-level Maths is a required subject for chemistry at Oxford, without it your application will not be considered (likewise if you didn't have A-level Chemistry).
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Sophiew004
hi i'm thinking of applying for chemistry at oxford , problem is im not doing maths A-level. i'm predicted at least AAA including chemistry and biology ( other alevel is eng lit) i've done volunteering , extra curric all that

Extracurriculars don't count for anything in an Oxford application. Also the standard chemistry offer is A*A*A and it would be hard to make a competitive application without those predicted grades.

What I did was to take a gap year and then do Maths A level in my year off. You should know that the minimum entry requirements are A*A*A for Chemistry, so you would need to hit that mark before considering applying.
you do realise how math heavy chemistry is, right, Minimum you need to know integration and differentiation, vectors to FM level, and a hell of a lot of physics
Original post by tinbucket
you do realise how math heavy chemistry is, right, Minimum you need to know integration and differentiation, vectors to FM level, and a hell of a lot of physics

Having done a chemistry degree I can categorically say this isn't true unless you pick all the maths heavy optional modules.
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Having done a chemistry degree I can categorically say this isn't true unless you pick all the maths heavy optional modules.

Maths is literally the bare bones of most of the basics without even considering optional modules and frankly I'm doubting whether you've even studied university chemistry if you disagree
Maths is literally the bare bones of most of the basics without even considering optional modules and frankly I'm doubting whether you've even studied university chemistry if you disagree

You of course need to know basic maths but it’s not at all true that you need to know a tonne of physics and super advanced FM to succeed at a chemistry degree. In any case, if she doesn’t have A level maths there’s no point applying because she won’t be considered.
@Sophiew004 there are lots of other really good unis that don't need Maths A level for chemistry - how about St Andrews or York?
Or, as I said, do Maths A level in a gap year.
You of course need to know basic maths but it’s not at all true that you need to know a tonne of physics and super advanced FM to succeed at a chemistry degree. In any case, if she doesn’t have A level maths there’s no point applying because she won’t be considered.

To someone who's studied maths past GCSE then the calculus particularly for physical may be basic, what I'm saying is that for a lot of decent courses A-level maths is a requirement for a reason and you're going to have to cover the topics sooner or later. I never said anything about super advanced FM either, the vector algebra you need is AS level and the physics is taught alongside the course. I feel like you're sat here trying to twist my words, doing chemistry with maths that stops at GCSE will be an uphill climb.
To someone who's studied maths past GCSE then the calculus particularly for physical may be basic, what I'm saying is that for a lot of decent courses A-level maths is a requirement for a reason and you're going to have to cover the topics sooner or later. I never said anything about super advanced FM either, the vector algebra you need is AS level and the physics is taught alongside the course. I feel like you're sat here trying to twist my words, doing chemistry with maths that stops at GCSE will be an uphill climb.

You don't need to know vectors to a FM level, I never did FM and nor did a lot of people on my course. You do not need to know a "hell of a lot of physics". The overwhelming majority of maths A level is irrelevant to a chemistry degree and usually any extra maths needed for a module will be taught in that module or you can study in your own time. You may need to know more maths if you pick more complex physical chemistry optional modules but it's categorically not true that you need to know an extreme amount of maths and physics to be able to do the core streams of a chemistry degree. I’m not even saying that you shouldn’t take maths A level, it does have useful things like differentiation and integration and helps you to think more analytically, but the truth is you don’t need 85% or more of the A level content for a chemistry degree. And you certainly don’t need physics, I didn’t do physics A level and yet managed to get along in my degree just fine.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by booklover1313
What I did was to take a gap year and then do Maths A level in my year off. You should know that the minimum entry requirements are A*A*A for Chemistry, so you would need to hit that mark before considering applying.

thanks , my AAA prediction is based on my GCSE results not my alevels so im not sure theyre entirely accurate
You don't need to know vectors to a FM level, I never did FM and nor did a lot of people on my course. You do not need to know a "hell of a lot of physics". The overwhelming majority of maths A level is irrelevant to a chemistry degree and usually any extra maths needed for a module will be taught in that module or you can study in your own time. You may need to know more maths if you pick more complex physical chemistry optional modules but it's categorically not true that you need to know an extreme amount of maths and physics to be able to do the core streams of a chemistry degree. I’m not even saying that you shouldn’t take maths A level, it does have useful things like differentiation and integration and helps you to think more analytically, but the truth is you don’t need 85% or more of the A level content for a chemistry degree. And you certainly don’t need physics, I didn’t do physics A level and yet managed to get along in my degree just fine.

hi! i didnt choose to do alevel maths because i just dont enjoy it - i am not bad at maths. i got an A* at GCSE and fiind the maths in my alevel chem fine - thank you for telling me my application wont be considered (thats all i wanted to know)
hi! i didnt choose to do alevel maths because i just dont enjoy it - i am not bad at maths. i got an A* at GCSE and fiind the maths in my alevel chem fine - thank you for telling me my application wont be considered (thats all i wanted to know)

Yh sorry. If u look at the site u can see it says required for maths and chem. Something like economics or physics is preferred (on top / as the third). Depends where u do the degree ig. I'm at Imperial and the degree would be very difficult without maths at A level understanding. These are for mandatory modules (not optional like some1 mentioned here). At places like Oxford and Imperial the degree programmes probably different but in general physical chem is very maths and physics heavy. Imperial have the chemistry modules (in years 1 and 2) very physics based (except for organic obviously) so it would be preferred to have an understanding on these topics (both maths and physics). Also, Imperial is maths required (pretty sure). Some unis don't do that type of stuff tho for exmaple Ik some1 at Liverpool uni and they didn't do coding and python to process data. They used excel which btw would be an absolute nightmare and not as good for data. They also didn't learn a lot of things we did e.g. EPR, group theory etc. So basically my advice would be to research the uni you will be / are thinking about applying to. BTW even if u don't k the maths part or physics part (as long as maths isn't a requirement for entry onto the degree), u can learn it. It'll just mean u have to put more work in and that's gonna be hard if u choose a top uni (as u clearly want to and r capable of doing so). The work load at Imperial is messed up so I speak from experience lol (I didn't do physics). Basic calculus would be highly preferred i.e. differentiation and integration. Once u pass the first 2 years and get to the year u choose ur modules it will definitely be a lot easier bc u can opt out of modules that are maths based and physics based. Trust me, as some1 who loves maths, i did not enjoy the maths part of my course thus far and will opt out lol. Finally, chem maths at A levels is nothing compared to at degree level lol, certainly for my exam board (OCR A). Any Qs reply or pm me. Happy to help :smile:
Hello, I'm an offer holder for Oxford this year and one of my interviews is completely based on maths and it will essential.
Original post by Joe111122
Hello, I'm an offer holder for Oxford this year and one of my interviews is completely based on maths and it will essential.

Good luck.

Yh it says on the requirements. When I had my interviews they asked about basic functions like e^x and then what happens to them like the inverse etc. So maths is required.

Where else have applied to? Also, what college u at rn?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending