Advice on how to stick out a degree you don’t like

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
After finishing my A-Levels, I rushed into university and chose a degree that wasn’t right for me. After the first, naturally, I dropped out. I felt intense pressure to keep up with friends, please my family etc. so I jumped straight back in with a different course. Big mistake. I’m now coming to the end of my first year in that and I’m not happy with my choice. Having used my ‘gift year’ from student finance, however, there are no more do-overs for me. The worst part about that is, I finally know what course I’d actually like to do now, but I can’t do it. And, as an additional blow, I can’t even do a Master’s in that subject as the degree I’m currently on is unrelated. My only option now because of my poor choices is to stick it out at the degree for I’m currently doing for two more years. I’m actually doing pretty well at it (it’s a STEM course and I’m on track for a 1st), but it’s going to be tough doing a degree so difficult for another two years when I would rather being doing something else. Anyone have any tips or advice?
P.S. This is a lesson to anyone reading this: Don’t feel pressured to rush into university. Take your time and carefully consider what you want to do, else you’ll end up like me.
Anonymous #1
Please. If anyone has any advice, insight, or experience with a similar situation I would love to hear it. I am in a really difficult position right now and I could really use some help.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
After finishing my A-Levels, I rushed into university and chose a degree that wasn’t right for me. After the first, naturally, I dropped out. I felt intense pressure to keep up with friends, please my family etc. so I jumped straight back in with a different course. Big mistake. I’m now coming to the end of my first year in that and I’m not happy with my choice. Having used my ‘gift year’ from student finance, however, there are no more do-overs for me. The worst part about that is, I finally know what course I’d actually like to do now, but I can’t do it. And, as an additional blow, I can’t even do a Master’s in that subject as the degree I’m currently on is unrelated. My only option now because of my poor choices is to stick it out at the degree for I’m currently doing for two more years. I’m actually doing pretty well at it (it’s a STEM course and I’m on track for a 1st), but it’s going to be tough doing a degree so difficult for another two years when I would rather being doing something else. Anyone have any tips or advice?
P.S. This is a lesson to anyone reading this: Don’t feel pressured to rush into university. Take your time and carefully consider what you want to do, else you’ll end up like me.
Thats really tough you say you can't do the course you want as a masters because it's not related you might not be able to do a 1 year masters but you could do a 2 year masters maybe I knew a girl who did Maths and then did a 2 years in Health & Nutrition so maybe look at those. On how to do your course look at it this way you have two years left or 4 semesters each semester is about 12 weeks long so that works out over 2 years as about 48 (less than a year) weeks. Maybe stick something on your wall number 1- 48 and cross them off while your at uni I mean there are breaks in winter spring and summer but seeing those weeks go down should motivate you some what.

Does that help at all
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
After finishing my A-Levels, I rushed into university and chose a degree that wasn’t right for me. After the first, naturally, I dropped out. I felt intense pressure to keep up with friends, please my family etc. so I jumped straight back in with a different course. Big mistake. I’m now coming to the end of my first year in that and I’m not happy with my choice. Having used my ‘gift year’ from student finance, however, there are no more do-overs for me. The worst part about that is, I finally know what course I’d actually like to do now, but I can’t do it.
Another option would be to take a break from university, get a job and earn some money, and then look at restarting university. Having used up your gift year you'd need to fund the first year of the new course yourself (hence why you'd need the job and savings), and then you can use the remaining two years student finance to pay for years 2 and 3.

Taking time out and getting a job might give you a different perspective on things, particularly if you look for work in a field related to the new course you want to do.

Perhaps have a chat with the Careers Service at your university to explore options.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
Thats really tough you say you can't do the course you want as a masters because it's not related you might not be able to do a 1 year masters but you could do a 2 year masters maybe I knew a girl who did Maths and then did a 2 years in Health & Nutrition so maybe look at those. On how to do your course look at it this way you have two years left or 4 semesters each semester is about 12 weeks long so that works out over 2 years as about 48 (less than a year) weeks. Maybe stick something on your wall number 1- 48 and cross them off while your at uni I mean there are breaks in winter spring and summer but seeing those weeks go down should motivate you some what.

Does that help at all
Thank you for the advice, it really is appreciated. I do have placements as well so it’s a little longer than the 48 weeks you stated and of course there’s exams too, but your point still stands. I’ll have to look at those 2 year master’s courses to see if they offer them for the subject I want to do. Thanks again.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by martin7)
Another option would be to take a break from university, get a job and earn some money, and then look at restarting university. Having used up your gift year you'd need to fund the first year of the new course yourself (hence why you'd need the job and savings), and then you can use the remaining two years student finance to pay for years 2 and 3.

Taking time out and getting a job might give you a different perspective on things, particularly if you look for work in a field related to the new course you want to do.

Perhaps have a chat with the Careers Service at your university to explore options.
I’ve considered this to be honest. It’d be a huge risk though, as if I didn’t get onto the new course, I’d have given up my place on my current degree for nothing. It’s a really tough decision.
Quadrinomial
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I’ve considered this to be honest. It’d be a huge risk though, as if I didn’t get onto the new course, I’d have given up my place on my current degree for nothing. It’s a really tough decision.
Is the course you want to do available in clearing or would you have to wait for the full ucas cycle to start again?

Can you transfer to a more suited course at your current uni (even if it's not the exact course/uni you want to go for) that you might enjoy more for the last 2 years?
Last edited by Quadrinomial; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads