Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm not a fan of a significant portion of the Australian population Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BadExaminee)
    Wow racist attitude. BTW, aren't you an Indian ? (Saw the Hindi(?) in your signature.) If so, who gave YOU the right to say who should come and who shouldn't? You go back to India.
    The phrase,
    'If you don't like Australia, don't come back. Simple'
    is not inherently, or actually, at all a racist expression. It was addressing the OP's concerns about Australians and the country - and primarily the vast choices available to the OP in realisation of their general dislike of Australians. The stunning level of irony embodied by your initial accusations of racism here, followed by a slandering of bigotry and racism towards galadriel101 (albeit, the entire Australian population) is incredulous.

Further, presuming you're not Australian yourself, who gave YOU the right to make claim over someone's heritage? This is especially pronounced in light of their ability to call themselves Australian - regardless of their cultural background. When you come to Australia for uni (despite your strongest protestations - I don't even know where to begin addressing that one) you will discover the diversity of the Australian population, hopefully re-design your uninformed opinions that all Australians are descended from convicts (yes, many are, but likewise, many not) and that having convict lineage somehow degrades you as a human being, and discover that the outdated and archaic concept that we are defined principally by our family lineage is discarded by informed and modern thinking.

By addressing you individually, I mean to make larger statements about a lot of the thought expressed in this thread about Australians. It is certainly evident that in any country there exists bigots, xenophobes, ignorant and racist opinion - and Australia is not exempt from that claim at all. I am sorry that the OP came across those who he found unpleasant - but to apply that principle to every Australian is equally brash and frankly, ridiculous.

In regards to the 'bravado' manner of many Australians, the custom of insulting one another in common conversation may appear as alien and arrogant, however, in a cultural sense, is understood mostly in a complimentary way. The process is done in a way not to offend someone personally, but I would say it is done in humourous interplay - and is often lost upon foreigners. The 'whingeing poms' is stemmed largely from football culture and ideologies stemmed from that - and whilst it may offend those in England, it is aligned with the bravado sense of humour adopted by many Australians and is not intended as a harsh or offensive term for the English.

To accuse a country of having 'confidence' issues is a refractory insult upon yourself OP. Whilst I sympathise with you for not having met Australians that you get along with well, to turn around and make rude remarks about the wholistic nature of Australia's geography (ie - 'Who really gives a **** about Australia, it has nothing, just desert and a load of housing estates.'), social culture and global significance serves to equate yourself to the level of ignorance and 'uneducated' being that you yourself believe the majority of Australians hold.

Rant over.
    I will not excuse the length of this post. The hypocrisy of so many spurred it on.

ReputationRep:
    I can't say that I've ever met an aussie who wasn't sound and good natured myself.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard from my dad and several of my Australia-residing relatives that generally the people of Australia are very friendly, welcoming and tolerant.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you said you were an ex-Indian...why UK? UK is richer than Australia. I was taking about your parents escaping India.

Come on now, why are you taking my silly remarks so seriously? After all, I'm a chav, or bogan, or whatever :rolleyes:

Btw, if living in India was equally good, why come to Australia ?
    I was born in the UK, and moved to Australia. Who said your a Chav? I certainly didn't say that.

ReputationRep:
    Wow racist attitude. BTW, aren't you an Indian ? (Saw the Hindi(?) in your signature.) If so, who gave YOU the right to say who should come and who shouldn't? You go back to India.
    No, I'm not Indian. I've never even been to India. I can't have my name written in another language in my signature?

I don't have any right to stand at customs in the airport and say who can come into Aus and who shouldn't. I was simply saying that if someone doesn't like Australia so much that they have to make a post about it, then they shouldn't come back and instead find another holiday destination that will better cater for their needs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    Yeah, the hindi says Kimberley.
    But the Aussie have brainwashed her so now she is as racist as they are.:cool:
    Yep, it does say that. There was a thread here a while ago where someone would translate your name into Hindi.

Err....what did I say that was racist?!

ReputationRep:
    Really? I've always assumed they were really nice :|

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.