Unintentional Rule Breaking

Watch this thread
quantummarmite
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
No watches of any kind are allowed in the exam

But I left my watch on

It's a digital (but not smartwatch). I realised 10 minutes into the exam I had it on. I called over for the invigilator and volunteered for it to be confiscated. They agreed and the exam went on as normal.

Have I done the right thing? Can I still be penalised? Will the exam board and/or invigilators have told me if I am to be penalised? Or am I ******** my pants over nothing?

Please advise
kk15405
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by quantummarmite)

But I left my watch on

It's a digital (but not smartwatch). I realised 10 minutes into the exam I had it on. I called over for the invigilator and volunteered for it to be confiscated. They agreed and the exam went on as normal.

Have I done the right thing? Can I still be penalised? Will the exam board and/or invigilators have told me if I am to be penalised? Or am I ******** my pants over nothing?

Please advice
You should still expect the worst and be graded a 0 however unless they specifically told you otherwise it shouldn't be that deep.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

But I left my watch on

Please advise
Were you spoken to after the exam?They should tell you if you are going to be reported.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

But I left my watch on

Please advise
You did the right thing

If it's clear it's a watch that couldn't be used for cheating your school probably won't even report it. Even if they did 1. they would have to tell you formally that they intend to report it and give you a chance to state your case and 2. the worst that would happen is some form of written warning not to do it again.

See page 37 here https://www.jcq.org.uk/wp-content/up...1-22_FINAL.pdf
Last edited by gdunne42; 1 month ago
XenoGrease
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

But I left my watch on

Please advise
it's very unlikely anythings happened if they agreed for it to be confiscated and then nothing else happened.

Invigilators are people at the end of the day and mostly not monsters, they didn't catch you with it, you volunteered it up when you realised and they probably recognised and respected that and left it be.

they're obligated to tell you if they intend to report it.
KirstinTM
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Get an analogue watch, you can put those on your desk if you struggle to see the clock. My school had the tiniest clocks so I relied on my watch. I think you’ll be fine, just because a watch is digital doesn’t mean it connects to the internet for answers so you’ll be fine.
Etheride
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KirstinTM)
Get an analogue watch, you can put those on your desk if you struggle to see the clock. My school had the tiniest clocks so I relied on my watch. I think you’ll be fine, just because a watch is digital doesn’t mean it connects to the internet for answers so you’ll be fine.
All watches were banned from 2020
Source: Official JCQ Guidelines on Malpractice
Last edited by Etheride; 1 month ago
KirstinTM
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Etheride)
All watches were banned from 2020
Source: Official JCQ Guidelines on Malpractice
That seems silly. Nothing wrong with a small watch on the desk that you can’t touch. In my exams I couldn’t see the clock unless I was right at the front (poor eyesight even with correct prescription) so relied on my watch.
Etheride
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by KirstinTM)
That seems silly. Nothing wrong with a small watch on the desk that you can’t touch. In my exams I couldn’t see the clock unless I was right at the front (poor eyesight even with correct prescription) so relied on my watch.
They apparently can't distinguish between a watch and a smart watch thus the whole shenanigan got banned outright
KirstinTM
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Etheride)
They apparently can't distinguish between a watch and a smart watch thus the whole shenanigan got banned outright
That’s silly
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (8)
34.78%
As I expected (4)
17.39%
Harder (10)
43.48%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.35%

Watched Threads