Any teachers or TAs out there?

Watch this thread
3umbrellas
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Do you know in schools in EYFS (nursery and reception) if they teach phonics and numeracy? Or does phonics and numeracy start in Year 1?
Last edited by 3umbrellas; 1 month ago
tiny hobbit
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by 3umbrellas)
Do you know in schools in EYFS (nursery and reception) if they teach phonics and numeracy? Or does phonics and numeracy start in Year 1?
In EYFS. I've helped in a Reception class (pre-Covid) and by the end of Reception they were onto th sh oa etc.
3umbrellas
Rep:
(Original post by tiny hobbit)
In EYFS. I've helped in a Reception class (pre-Covid) and by the end of Reception they were onto th sh oa etc.
Do you think I should do a Level 2 TA course to become an EYFS teaching assistant? Or should I just skip the course and start working? Not sure if they will fire me without the course, lol...As English is not my first language, I find it difficult to grasp phonics. I did start learning English at the age of 5, now I am 32.
Is it easy to be EYFS teaching assistant? Do teaching assistants teach phonics in reception? Or is that the teacher's job?
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Do you think I should do a Level 2 TA course to become an EYFS teaching assistant? Or should I just skip the course and start working? Not sure if they will fire me without the course, lol...As English is not my first language, I find it difficult to grasp phonics. I did start learning English at the age of 5, now I am 32.
Is it easy to be EYFS teaching assistant? Do teaching assistants teach phonics in reception? Or is that the teacher's job?
Hi there.

Muttley79 may be able to help

Best wishes.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What qualifications do you have at the moment? And do you have any experience of working with young children?

You don't necessarily need L2 TA course to work as one.
You won't be expected to plan and teach phonics as such, but depending on how the school operates and what phonics scheme they follow, you might be allocated a group to work with daily or even support with interventions.
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
https://www.gov.uk/government/public...e-framework--2
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
What qualifications do you have now?
3umbrellas
Rep:
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
What qualifications do you have at the moment? And do you have any experience of working with young children?

You won't be expected to plan and teach phonics as such, but depending on how the school operates and what phonics scheme they follow, you might be allocated a group to work with daily or even support with interventions.
I have a PG certificate in HR. I am currently a supply teaching assistant. For supply, I don't need level 2 TA course, but a lot of schools do ask for this course if you want to work permanently for them.
3umbrellas
Rep:
(Original post by Muttley79)
What qualifications do you have now?
PG Cert in HR.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
So you have a degree?
PG Cert in HR.
3umbrellas
Rep:
So you have a degree?
Ya in psychology
3umbrellas
Rep:
(Original post by 1secondsofvamps)

What are interventions
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Ya in psychology
You are more than qualified - you could even teach after a PGCE. Perhaps get more familiar with the EYFS curriculum I posted above?

Are schools aware you have a degree when they ask for a level 2 qualification?
3umbrellas
Rep:
You are more than qualified - you could even teach after a PGCE. Perhaps get more familiar with the EYFS curriculum I posted above?

Are schools aware you have a degree when they ask for a level 2 qualification?
When I said schools ask for Level 2 qualification, I meant in the job ads I saw online.
3umbrellas
Rep:
And does anyone know what phonics scheme the majority of England schools use?
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
When I said schools ask for Level 2 qualification, I meant in the job ads I saw online.
level 2 is GCSE - you have a degree - you can apply. However I would find out more about what EYFS is all about.

Answering you other question - intervention - this is additional support when a child has difficulties in their learning. Two I'm aware of are 'Every Child Counts' and 'Reading recovery' ...
3umbrellas
Rep:
level 2 is GCSE - you have a degree - you can apply. However I would find out more about what EYFS is all about.

Answering you other question - intervention - this is additional support when a child has difficulties in their learning. Two I'm aware of are 'Every Child Counts' and 'Reading recovery' ...
Thank you for your help.
3umbrellas
Rep:

Thank you! I have another question: most probably I will start a Level 2 TA course in September. Not 100 percent decided. If I do, I will be doing a year 1 placement one day a week as part of the course. Should I do an EYFS placement on top of this to gain experience into phonics or is year 1 phonics enough experience?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (19)
32.2%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (22)
37.29%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (2)
3.39%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
5.08%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (4)
6.78%
I’m starting to consider my university options (7)
11.86%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (1)
1.69%
I’m not planning on going to university (1)
1.69%

Watched Threads