Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I started letting my hair grow in january because I couldn't think of what else to do with it. My hair,however, is quite thick and is now about 6 inches long. I find that if I don't use shampoo when I shower, my hair smells strange after waking up the next day. Obviously I can't shampoo everyday, because I've got a feeling that won't be too great for my health. In addition to that, the day after I shower and don't use a shampoo, dead skin cells start to accumulate near my scalp. It's not particularly itchy, but eh.

Any ideas as to what I should do? Should I just cut my hair and go back to short and comfy?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    how long would you like it, just trim it down a bit

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know. Probably till about the neck. I shampoo once every 3 days; but apparently I should be doing it once every 2 days, given the length of my hair.

ReputationRep:
    Why can't you shampoo every day?! I do. I'm pretty sure it won't affect your health - If you are worried about it then try using baby shampoo every day instead, it's designed for sensitive skin and hair.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Sanyore)
    I don't really know. Probably till about the neck. I shampoo once every 3 days; but apparently I should be doing it once every 2 days, given the length of my hair.
    hmm well when I had longish hair I shampooed everyday, I wouldn't recommend 3 days, 2 at most (only takes 5mins)

ReputationRep:
    Since when was the use of shampoo detrimental to our health??

ReputationRep:
    be a real man, and cut your hair short.

ReputationRep:
    do you brush it? apart from making it look nice, it helps to get rid of the dead skin cells.

if your hair looks gross you can either
    1. accept it and possibly scare off the female half of the population
    2. wash it more (cause realistically its not going to do much damage)

ReputationRep:
    I use nutralia which is designed for frequent use. admittedly I have short, manly hair, but it should work on longer hair too.

ReputationRep:
    aye whats up with washing your hair everyday ??
    its a pain in the arrse but other than that whaat ?

try dry shampooo?
    i dont coz it doesnt work for me but worth a shot :?

ReputationRep:
    The dry scalp is still dandruff. You might want to use Head and Shoulders or whatnot dedicated for dry/flaky scalps (they have new scents now, finally, so it's pretty decent).

As a girl with long hair saying this, yea, you need to shower every other day at least if you have normal/oily hair (anymore showering and it can damage the hair/dry it out. Too much products and constantly hair-drying it is not good for your hair or scalp since you might get product build-up. Too much hair-drying can also cause split-ends.) But yes, with longer hair it means more maintenance since now smells can cling to it.

However, this all depends on the hair. People with oily hair will need to shower more frequently than those with dry hair; however I can't shower every day like some suggest, especially since I find my hair actually looks its best the next day rather than the same day.

ReputationRep:
    My hair's shoulder length and it only needs washing once every 3 days with the odd dry shampoo inbetween if I'm lazy.

ReputationRep:
    Bic it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2008
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.