Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am 15 yrs old and have recently (over the past two days) had some ectopics- an extra heart-beat- and sometimes feel a bit uncomfortable when I think about it (normally in the evening). My dad is a heart surgeon and we had his friend (a cardiologist) come over to listen to the heart yesterday. At one point in the evening my dad told me it was so irregular it could have been mistaken for Atrial Fibrillation. However, they both concluded that there were just some irregular heart-beats that normally occured during the evening. They also noted a rash, that I had blurry vision occasionaly, felt sick and had headaches. They concluded that I either had pleural pains, or that a virus was causing inflammation of some sort and causing the ectopics. During the day it is very regular, only during the evening that it became noticable (but the cardiologist said it was most likely anxiety, he noted I was shivering alot).

Anyway, today I am going to have an ECG and an echo. What are these like? Can I get some more opinions from others on what it is like and what I may have/ what it sounds like is causing it (note: I had a high temperature the same time the ectopics occured)?

Thanks so much,

Laith

ReputationRep:
    I had palpatations a while ago and my heart regularly skips beats. I had an ECG - which isnt as scary as it sounds. The doctor put it down to exam stress and that i had an abnormal awareness of my heart.
    Ha! And there was me thinking i was about to go into cardiac arrest :erm:
    My docotor said that its normal for the heart to skip or have an extra beat. I wouldn't worry about it too much, its probably nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laith)
    Hi,
    Anyway, today I am going to have an ECG and an echo. What are these like?
    Thanks so much,
    Laith
    An ECG is where they look at the electrical activity of the heart. Little sticky pads are stuck on you in various places (chest and limbs) and take a reading which is then printed out for interpretation. It is not painful at all and all you have to do is keep as still as you can while it's taking the reading. Does't take very long to do.
    An echo is basically an ultrasound of the heart which allows doctors/technicians etc to visualise how the heart looks and look at the different structures. Cold gel is spread over the chest and then a probe is used to look at the heart from different angles. Again, it's not painful and is relatively quick.

ReputationRep:
    OP, would you not be best off speaking to your dad and his friend about this? They'll be able to tell you more than any of us on here could

I get the heart palpitations when im stressed and start to worry about Uni work. I had my first palpitation since the summer the other night in the week, but I know its Uni work that triggered it off and hopefully won't happen again . . . . .because its not nice and feels incredibly uncomfortable.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your responses. I have just returned from the ECG. He said my heart was much healthier than normal, and palapatations and ectopics were caused by over exertion during a viral infection.

ReputationRep:
    i am an internet expet and i disagree with your farther who is a doctor. you, have a cold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crooks & castles)
    i am an internet expet and i disagree with your farther who is a doctor. you, have a cold
    I doubt you're an internet expert if you cannot spell 'expert' or even 'father' :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frenchflower)
    I doubt you're an internet expert if you cannot spell 'expert' or even 'father' :rolleyes:
    Sarcasm. Congratulations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frenchflower)
    :rolleyes:

Think about it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.