The best illustration course in England 2022

Watch this thread
peppppppppp
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Excuse my English

I've already got offers from Falmouth (BA Illustration), UAL (foundation) and AUB (Visual Communication) and couple more unis coming up as I am gonna be applying through Clearing round in July 2022. This will include Kingston (BA Illustration and Animation), Lancaster (Design), Leed Art (Graphic and communication design) and Goldsmith. To be fair, I sorta be out of choices of unis for BA illustration course so I am contemplating other kinds of art and design just in case I changed my mind.

I really like the idea of learning business practices related to the industry of illustration through the BA Illustration program at Falmouth so I reckon the course syllabus at Falmouth itself would suit me the best. Falmouth seems like the perfect place for me regardless of its LOCATION that is unbelievably far from everything. (I'd personally prefer living in the cities over countrysides)

I was also taking UAl into my account despite the fact that I'll need to spend a year in foundation meaning that an additional cost living in London will go over my budget.

I wonder what uni has the best illustration program, the most diverse campus for international students and a bit of city vibes?

Thank you very much in advance.
Last edited by peppppppppp; 1 month ago
insidedesigner
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Firstly, there is no 'best illustration course in England' just as there's no best song, or chocolate bar. There's just where's right for you.

AUB is great. I wouldn't be so sure that all of the other courses you mention will be in clearing.

If you want cool, diverse cities - then Bristol (UWE), Brighton and Birmingham (BCU) might be worth considering. If you want a campus with lots of international students, then maybe Hertfordshire because it's fairly close to London.
peppppppppp
Rep:
Thanks a lot for your advice. I agree with you there's no such thing as the best course.

I'm currently considering these courses Kingston (Illustration Animation BA), University of Westminster (Illustration and Visual communication BA), Leeds Art (illustration), and UWE for Clearing.

These are the universities that I have already got offers from: Falmouth, UAL, AUB, and UCA.
Last edited by peppppppppp; 1 month ago
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by peppppppppp)
Excuse my English

I've already got offers from Falmouth (BA Illustration), UAL (foundation) and AUB (Visual Communication) and couple more unis coming up as I am gonna be applying through Clearing round in July 2022. This will include Kingston (BA Illustration and Animation), Lancaster (Design), Leed Art (Graphic and communication design) and Goldsmith. To be fair, I sorta be out of choices of unis for BA illustration course so I am contemplating other kinds of art and design just in case I changed my mind.

I really like the idea of learning business practices related to the industry of illustration through the BA Illustration program at Falmouth so I reckon the course syllabus at Falmouth itself would suit me the best. Falmouth seems like the perfect place for me regardless of its LOCATION that is unbelievably far from everything. (I'd personally prefer living in the cities over countrysides)

I was also taking UAl into my account despite the fact that I'll need to spend a year in foundation meaning that an additional cost living in London will go over my budget.

I wonder what uni has the best illustration program, the most diverse campus for international students and a bit of city vibes?

Thank you very much in advance.
Hi there,

My name is El and I've just finished my course of Illustration & Animation at Coventry University and although it's not on your list, I thought I would give you some advice on what I wanted from University that I got from Coventry which many Uni's don't offer.

My sister went to Portsmouth University to study Illustration herself, it was a brilliant Uni creative-wise but failed to give her skills in how to get a job in the industry or any other skills such as making a portfolio or help her produce her own brand. This impacted her life after Uni quite a bit as she was delayed in her progress as an artist and didn't know where to even know where to explore the jobs she wanted.
Because of this, I knew I wanted to go to a University that helped me become an actual artist and give me the skills and knowledge of how to get a job in the industry and how to present myself professionally. Coventry University offered this greatly in their course and I have never felt more prepared in getting a job as an artist. I have so much knowledge and skills that my sister was never given.

That all being said, Falmouth is one of the top Universities for Illustration and is a place every artist adores. It's small but it's full of creative people that can be great contacts. The Uni also offers a lot of essential skills like Coventry and always has a lot of projects going on. I have had many friends go there and they have thrived there like I have at Coventry!

Definitely choose the one that speaks to you the most and feels the best one, as your opinion matters most.

I hope this helps!

El
peppppppppp
Rep:
Thank you for your advice. I'm now struggling to pick a course. I currently have 2 options; the first option is to pick between Falmouth, AUB, and UCA within the 9th of June. While another option is to not respond to both offers as though I will be applying through Clearing in July.

Though I've been given offers from those unis. Still, can't decide what uni would be best for me to learn Illustration. My preferences for uni would include city vibes, diversity, great links to industry, and passionate people. Also, my personal illustration style is a modern-surrealist illustration so I'm tempted to find a course that tends to support my style.

These are the courses that I'm thinking of applying to through Clearing:
Kingston (Illustration and Animation)
The University of Westminster (Illustration and Visual communication)
Leeds Art (illustration)
University of Hertfordshire (illustration)
Bristol UWE (illustration)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
insidedesigner
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Coventry University Student Ambassadors)
Hi there,

My name is El and I've just finished my course of Illustration & Animation at Coventry University and although it's not on your list, I thought I would give you some advice on what I wanted from University that I got from Coventry which many Uni's don't offer.

My sister went to Portsmouth University to study Illustration herself, it was a brilliant Uni creative-wise but failed to give her skills in how to get a job in the industry or any other skills such as making a portfolio or help her produce her own brand. This impacted her life after Uni quite a bit as she was delayed in her progress as an artist and didn't know where to even know where to explore the jobs she wanted.
Because of this, I knew I wanted to go to a University that helped me become an actual artist and give me the skills and knowledge of how to get a job in the industry and how to present myself professionally. Coventry University offered this greatly in their course and I have never felt more prepared in getting a job as an artist. I have so much knowledge and skills that my sister was never given.

That all being said, Falmouth is one of the top Universities for Illustration and is a place every artist adores. It's small but it's full of creative people that can be great contacts. The Uni also offers a lot of essential skills like Coventry and always has a lot of projects going on. I have had many friends go there and they have thrived there like I have at Coventry!

Definitely choose the one that speaks to you the most and feels the best one, as your opinion matters most.

I hope this helps!

El
An official representative of a Uni (presumably paid to do so) dissing other courses isn't a good look.
insidedesigner
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by peppppppppp)
Thank you for your advice. I'm now struggling to pick a course. I currently have 2 options; the first option is to pick between Falmouth, AUB, and UCA within the 9th of June. While another option is to not respond to both offers as though I will be applying through Clearing in July.

Though I've been given offers from those unis. Still, can't decide what uni would be best for me to learn Illustration. My preferences for uni would include city vibes, diversity, great links to industry, and passionate people. Also, my personal illustration style is a modern-surrealist illustration so I'm tempted to find a course that tends to support my style.

These are the courses that I'm thinking of applying to through Clearing:
Kingston (Illustration and Animation)
The University of Westminster (Illustration and Visual communication)
Leeds Art (illustration)
University of Hertfordshire (illustration)
Bristol UWE (illustration)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers.
Kingston: i wouldn't assume it will be in clearing. It's very popular. Also, it's just as much an animation course, so does this appeal to you?
Westminster: not a bad option, but consider the pros and cons of London. Amazing city life, but v expensive.
Leeds: another good option. Much cheaper city to live in.
Hertfordshire. good course but on a campus in a small town. That could be good or bad, depending on what you like.
Bristol: great city, decent course.

Generally, lots of good illustration courses will be in clearing. Rather than making decisions now, keep doing research on class sizes, contact time, online opinions, student work, staff etc - and of course the place itself. You've got until August to make a decision.
peppppppppp
Rep:
(Original post by insidedesigner)
Kingston: i wouldn't assume it will be in clearing. It's very popular. Also, it's just as much an animation course, so does this appeal to you?
Westminster: not a bad option, but consider the pros and cons of London. Amazing city life, but v expensive.
Leeds: another good option. Much cheaper city to live in.
Hertfordshire. good course but on a campus in a small town. That could be good or bad, depending on what you like.
Bristol: great city, decent course.

Generally, lots of good illustration courses will be in clearing. Rather than making decisions now, keep doing research on class sizes, contact time, online opinions, student work, staff etc - and of course the place itself. You've got until August to make a decision.
How about AUB?. I heard it's ranked 1st highest employability in the UK and the city itself is fairly vlose to London and other big cities.
insidedesigner
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
The course at AUB is fairly big but its students produce great quality work. One thing AUB (and Bournemouth generally) isn't - is diverse. It's a great student town though, and as you say London is do-able in a day.

University employability rates aren't worth considering. A part time job in a shop is still considered as 'employment'. The salary data is largely accurate, but salaries in the creative sector are fairly low anyway.
peppppppppp
Rep:
(Original post by insidedesigner)
The course at AUB is fairly big but its students produce great quality work. One thing AUB (and Bournemouth generally) isn't - is diverse. It's a great student town though, and as you say London is do-able in a day.

University employability rates aren't worth considering. A part time job in a shop is still considered as 'employment'. The salary data is largely accurate, but salaries in the creative sector are fairly low anyway.
So, if I had given offers from those unis: UWE Bristol, AUB, Leeds Art, and Westminster. Despite looking at the diversity of each city, but instead putting more emphasis on the reputation/links to industry and student life. Which one of them do you reckon would suit my uni preference best. Cheers.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Have you looked at the graduate shows from 2020 and 2021 for each course. Because of the pandemic graduate work in those years was generally put into online shows instead of physical which means that you have the option to look at the range and styles of work produced by recent graduates.

That might help you work out which course is going to be a good fit for you.
peppppppppp
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
Have you looked at the graduate shows from 2020 and 2021 for each course. Because of the pandemic graduate work in those years was generally put into online shows instead of physical which means that you have the option to look at the range and styles of work produced by recent graduates.

That might help you work out which course is going to be a good fit for you.
I've recently had a look at the graduate shows for each course and I've found that they have similar styles of work (children's books and girly character styles). To be fair, female students make up the majority at university across illustration courses, meaning that the styles of work tend to lean towards minimal and soft styles as opposed to my style of work though.
cheadle
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
Check out the courses here - https://discoveruni.gov.uk/

Compare the NSS results for each course (NSS = official ratings by the latest final year students to complete the course).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (7)
36.84%
As I expected (3)
15.79%
Harder (8)
42.11%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
5.26%

Watched Threads