The Student Room Group

Horrible Classics A Level tomorrow

So I have my class civ world of the hero a level tomorrow
I do the odyssey and the Aeneid
I pretty much havenā€™t revised
I know the book to a decent extent but as I said I havenā€™t revised

Iā€™ve had a difficult time mental health wise so itā€™s been a struggle to sit down and do any revision so I pretty much havenā€™t done any

Any good luck charms anyone?

(I need an AAB to get into my uni of choice)
Hahahahahahahahhaha
Original post by alicelilley
So I have my class civ world of the hero a level tomorrow
I do the odyssey and the Aeneid
I pretty much havenā€™t revised
I know the book to a decent extent but as I said I havenā€™t revised

Iā€™ve had a difficult time mental health wise so itā€™s been a struggle to sit down and do any revision so I pretty much havenā€™t done any

Any good luck charms anyone?

(I need an AAB to get into my uni of choice)

No good luck charms but wish you good luck for the exam! :smile:

Stay calm and prioritise the areas you feel you know least about.
Iā€™m that burned out child genius HAHAHAHHABAHAHAHAHAHAHHHHAHA
Original post by TriplexA
No good luck charms but wish you good luck for the exam! :smile:

Stay calm and prioritise the areas you feel you know least about.

Thank u that is very good advice :smile:
Original post by alicelilley
Thank u that is very good advice :smile:

Polite reminder - please don't bump your threads in future as you will get a response! :smile:

Bumping is only allowed a day after you've posted without a response.
Polite reminder - please don't bump your threads in future as you will get a response! :smile:

Bumping is only allowed a day after you've posted without a response.

Oh sorry I was just kind of talking to myself haha
Good luck Alice! :biggrin:..

I hope you ace the exam!
Best of luck.

Remember to look at symbolism.

Polyphemos represents barbarism, whereas Odysseus represents civilisation.
Penelope is the ideal wife, whereas the other women Odysseys meets are "dangerous women" such as Calypso and Circe.
The bed that he carved represents their strength and unity in marriage.

Medea isn't Greek, she's an "other". Again representing barbarism.

The role of women in plays. Think Antigone and Medea. Both are displaced women. Antigone is denied the right to bury her brother, and funeral rituals were always organised by the women of the family. Medea again - displaced. She's in a new land, forced to perform the duties of an obedient housewife and she's rebelling against the position she has been put in.
When women are displaced, it's ominous for plays.

and so on and so forth.

Do a quick cram tonight of your material. Look for deeper meanings - try to really analyse the texts.
Don't forget that if you're using an ancient source, think about how reliable that source really is. What sort of source is it? Who was the intended audience?

The Acropolis and all of its buildings. Why were they built? (They were built after the Persian wars, as previous temples were destroyed, and they symbolise the grandeur and strength of a rebuilt Athens).
The treasure from the Delian League was taken and stored in the Parthenon - again to show off to everyone that Athens was great.
The whole Acropolis was basically Athens just showing off.

The Aeneid - you get this imagery of the divine and the mortal realms. Aeneid is the son of Venus, but also the son of a mortal father who he carries on his back.
The immortals meddle in the mortal world a lot.
(It has been about 20 years since I last studied the Aeneid so I can't churn out facts about it as readily.)
(edited 1 year ago)
I've just realised that the stuff on plays and temples probably isn't relevant for this particular paper you're sitting, but no matter, I've written it now lol
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
I've just realised that the stuff on plays and temples probably isn't relevant for this particular paper you're sitting, but no matter, I've written it now lol

I'm sure OP will find some of it useful though :biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)
I'm sure OP will find some of it useful though :biggrin:

Yes! Itā€™s useful and interesting too :smile:
What did you think of it?
Original post by faerieeluv
What did you think of it?

I was very silly because the 20 mark question for the Aeneid was about dido and somehow I misread it and wrote it about Juno šŸ˜­šŸ˜­
When I told my mum she asked if Iā€™d been taking sleeping pills or something thst were making me drowsy

Quick Reply