Poll: Edinburgh vs Durham
Edinburgh (1)
50%
Durham (1)
50%
thelaxfox
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi all! I have offers from both Edinburgh and Durham for geography this year and am having a very difficult time choosing which one to firm. On the one hand, the course at Durham looks slightly better, and I’ve been assigned to a nice, small friendly college in the centre, which is great. It is probably more my scene nightwise, has a much better (but more competitive) team for my sport, and is slightly closer to home. On the other hand, I love the city of Edinburgh, and the accomodation looks to be of a much better standard. It also has a better reputation? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by thelaxfox)
Hi all! I have offers from both Edinburgh and Durham for geography this year and am having a very difficult time choosing which one to firm. On the one hand, the course at Durham looks slightly better, and I’ve been assigned to a nice, small friendly college in the centre, which is great. It is probably more my scene nightwise, has a much better (but more competitive) team for my sport, and is slightly closer to home. On the other hand, I love the city of Edinburgh, and the accomodation looks to be of a much better standard. It also has a better reputation? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Where do you get the reputation of Edinburgh being higher than Durham. That is nonsense. Durham is the 3rd oldest university in England
thelaxfox
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
Where do you get the reputation of Edinburgh being higher than Durham. That is nonsense. Durham is the 3rd oldest university in England
I feel that wasn’t a very constructive response. I put a question mark after that sentence to imply that I could be incorrect. Internationally, Edinburgh has more prestige. If you don’t have something kind to say, I’d rather not hear your input.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Durham is ranked 6th by the Complete University Guide Edinburgh 12th. Durham is ranked 5th by the Guardian university Guide Edinburgh 12th. Every year Durham is top 10 and Edinburgh isnt. The international rankings favour universities in larger cities. That is a fact every year. Other than Oxbridge the top 8 are all in large cities and places like Manchester and Edinburgh never make the 10 in UK rankings,

Durham graduates are in really high demand. Most Oxbridge students use Durham as their alternative choice. Durham is sometimes described as Oxford rejects due to the number of its students who have been rejected by Oxbridge. Try telling all the students Oxbridge rejected that Durham is somehow less prestigous than Edinburgh.
ikarus03
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi ! Having this choice is great - they're both fantastic unis. If your biggest factor on choosing Edinburgh would be the city / accommodation, then I'd absolutely choose Durham. You said that Durham city is more your vibe anyway, and you're only in accommodation for one year. Ignore the rankings, honestly, and focus on the course, teaching style, examination style, and the culture around the city. I would go with Durham, as you prefer the course, which is the biggest factor here. I'm actually going to Durham too ! What college did you get assigned?
lejbaker
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m in exactly the same position choosing between durham and edinburgh! Have you managed to make a decision yet, I’m still not sure as they both seem like such great unis?!
(Original post by thelaxfox)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (51)
26.15%
As I expected (64)
32.82%
Harder (72)
36.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
4.1%

Watched Threads