ZeinabMC
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve got offers from both UCL and KCL for biochemistry. I want to put one as my firm and the other as my insurance, but I can’t decide which to put as my firm. I prefer KCL modules but UCL is more highly ranked for biochemistry.
kaorimiyazono
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I'm just finishing my first year at KCL for biochemistry (final exam tomorrow woop woop) so feel free to ask me any specific questions about the course or the uni that will help you make a decision
ZeinabMC
Rep:
Hope your exams went well!
I was just wondering what made you go with King’s over your other choices? Also, what is the exams to coursework ratio at king’s? Also another issues I am having is the limited number of modules at UCL so what are the options that have been offered to you. Thank you very much for this and if you feel like there’s anything that you wish you knew before please let me know.
kaorimiyazono
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ZeinabMC)
Hope your exams went well!
I was just wondering what made you go with King’s over your other choices? Also, what is the exams to coursework ratio at king’s? Also another issues I am having is the limited number of modules at UCL so what are the options that have been offered to you. Thank you very much for this and if you feel like there’s anything that you wish you knew before please let me know.
Thanks

I chose KCL over Bath and York. The fact that I love London, that it's close to home and that KCL is looked up on internationally did slightly influence my decision. However, I also chose it because of the modules being so broad. Basically, in first year, all (or at least most) of the biosciences do the same modules: cell biology and neuroscience, pharmacology, anatomy and physiology, biochemistry, skills for biosciences, chemistry for bioscience, and genetics and molecular biology. I'm really grateful for this because it allowed me to learn about a lot of different areas from the get-go, so it really helped me realise what bits of science I do and don't like very quickly lmao. Also, it gives you the chance to switch degree at the end of year one. I know a lot of (ex-) biochemists who are switching to pharmacology next year for example. I also chose KCL because you can apply for a semester abroad and not add an extra year to your degree (you can add an extra year to go abroad too obviously but I'm doing the semester since I'm already on the 4 year course lol). The process was really easy and I'm very excited about it. I'll be doing semester 1 in the US at Johns Hopkins, then coming back to finish the year here and it won't affect my degree (as long as I pass over there lol).

So far, it's been 30% coursework and 70% final exam (in the May-June exam period- the January exams are only formative/mocks). I'm not entirely sure (I really should check this ngl XD), but I think it's mostly the same next year. Although I do remember there being a practical module that was 100% coursework available. Coursework has included mini-reviews, lab-reports and a statistical analysis. Exams were all 1 hr of multiple choice Qs. Exceptions to this were pharmacology (1 hr of true or false) and physiology and anatomy (1x 30 min MCQ microanatomy exam +.1x 1.5 hr MCQ and T/F main exam covering everything- this was the only module that stretched over the 2 semesters).

Things that I wish I would've known before coming:
It's harder to make friends when you're not on a campus uni so make sure to go to events, talk to people, join societies and actually go the events and mingle, be proactive and make plans to meet up with people etc.
There isn't that much academic support- it you're independent it's fine, but if you're used to a lot of guidance you might struggle a bit initially. You do have a personal tutor, but they're there for pastoral support rather than academic support.
Also, this won't apply to you because everything is switching to in person (or at least that's what they've said so far), but I wished that I would've known that all lectures were gonna be online :/ . At first it was great cuz I could do them at my own pace whenever I wanted to but then it got tiring and made me lose motivation and burn out lol. But at least everything's going back to normal next year.
I can't really think of anything else tbh haha

If you have any more questions, feel free to ask
ZeinabMC
Rep:
Omggg thank you so much for this! You really helped me out and I appreciate it!
kaorimiyazono
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ZeinabMC)
Omggg thank you so much for this! You really helped me out and I appreciate it!
Np
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (41)
31.78%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (60)
46.51%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (27)
20.93%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.78%

Watched Threads