CuriousO
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Thoughts?
Last edited by CuriousO; 1 month ago
CuriousO
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Bump - am I shadow banned?
preuza
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
no
Gothmog1
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Well, I probably wouldn't if you're relying on it to get into uni or anything.

Maybe if you have advance info from the board suggesting which topics will come up, but hey, it might pay off anyway.
CuriousO
Rep:
(Original post by Gothmog1)
Well, I probably wouldn't if you're relying on it to get into uni or anything.

Maybe if you have advance info from the board suggesting which topics will come up, but hey, it might pay off anyway.
Well the format of the exam means that there is a choice of 2 topics (which are known) for each question. So the gambling is more in the sense that the topic you learnt might have a bad question
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CuriousO)
Bump - am I shadow banned?
No, that's not how this website works...

I'm thinking of gambling certain sections of my essay based A-Level exams. For example, in History (Communist Russia) I'm thinking of not learning control (the biggest section) and instead learning the other section in great detail to have enough knowledge to answer any question. Others in my class have said they are doing this

Thoughts?
It's a bad idea, because if the section that you didn't learn comes up you will most likely do much worse, or even outright fail the exam. Also the content for the section you aren't planning to learn very likely contextualises other areas of the syllabus and could be productively drawn on in other questions as and when applicable.

Spoiler:
Show
Anecdotally I did this for my IB HL Psychology exam, way back when. We'd been pretty much assured by our teacher that "historical and cultural background" questions only came up in the short answer section, and so for the long answer section as we just had to answer from one psychological perspective, I decided I'd just learn everything for humanistic psych as it was my favourite - except I only bothered learning enough historical and cultural background for a short question. Lo and behold, come exam day, the long essay for humanistic psych was historical and cultural background. I ended up then being pretty screwed as virtually none of what I'd revised was of any use and I had to scramble to put together a passable answer for another perspective. I manage to salvage my overall result with the methods paper, but still...
Last edited by artful_lounger; 1 month ago
CuriousO
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
No, that's not how this website works...

It's a bad idea, because if the section that you didn't learn comes up you will most likely do much worse, or even outright fail the exam. Also the content for the section you aren't planning to learn very likely contextualises other areas of the syllabus and could be productively drawn on in other questions as and when applicable.

Spoiler:
Show
Anecdotally I did this for my IB HL Psychology exam, way back when. We'd been pretty much assured by our teacher that "historical and cultural background" questions only came up in the short answer section, and so for the long answer section as we just had to answer from one psychological perspective, I decided I'd just learn everything for humanistic psych as it was my favourite - except I only bothered learning enough historical and cultural background for a short question. Lo and behold, come exam day, the long essay for humanistic psych was historical and cultural background. I ended up then being pretty screwed as virtually none of what I'd revised was of any use and I had to scramble to put together a passable answer for another perspective. I manage to salvage my overall result with the methods paper, but still...
So would you say that, had the information provided to you been correct, the 'gambling' would have paid off?
BTW - the format of this exam is a choice between question on section 1 or on section 2. Thus the risk of what you propose is 99% unlikely to happen, unless they decide to change the very fabric of the exam.
artful_lounger
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
So would you say that, had the information provided to you been correct, the 'gambling' would have paid off?
BTW - the format of this exam is a choice between question on section 1 or on section 2. Thus the risk of what you propose is 99% unlikely to happen, unless they decide to change the very fabric of the exam.
If you don't really care about getting good grades and just want to save time and effort then by all means do so. If you actually want any kind of reassurance you are likely to get a good result you should prepare for the exam properly.

And your question is moot because that isn't what happened and perfectly illustrates that the exam writers can create exams that go against the "traditional" grain of what is expected provided it still tests all the assessment objectives it is supposed to.
Gothmog1
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Well the format of the exam means that there is a choice of 2 topics (which are known) for each question. So the gambling is more in the sense that the topic you learnt might have a bad question
Oh, well in that case, it seems like a pretty good idea. I'm not sure what history questions are like, but I'm think that even a bad question could be salvaged with in-depth knowledge of the topic.
vicvic38
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Lol I do this at uni. Make sure you're studying enough that you can do enough to pass and you'll be fine.
CuriousO
Rep:
(Original post by artful_lounger)
If you don't really care about getting good grades and just want to save time and effort then by all means do so. If you actually want any kind of reassurance you are likely to get a good result you should prepare for the exam properly.

And your question is moot because that isn't what happened and perfectly illustrates that the exam writers can create exams that go against the "traditional" grain of what is expected provided it still tests all the assessment objectives it is supposed to.
Well I'm hoping for triple A* to complement my A* in EPQ
CuriousO
Rep:
(Original post by vicvic38)
Lol I do this at uni. Make sure you're studying enough that you can do enough to pass and you'll be fine.
(Original post by Gothmog1)
Oh, well in that case, it seems like a pretty good idea. I'm not sure what history questions are like, but I'm think that even a bad question could be salvaged with in-depth knowledge of the topic.
That's what I was thinking, thanks. I think i'll go for this tbh
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads