The Student Room Group

does degree matter when going into banking

i want to go into banking but i've firmed KCL for history and political economy. Would it be better for me to go through clearing and do an Economics degree or stick with KCL?

does the degree matter or does the uni matter more??
it doesn't matter, kcl is pants for economics, plus a director at an assessment centre grilled me on why i wanted to do finance with something as unrelated as economics, and why i didn't instead go into something more economicsy related.
Reply 2
Original post by wiseowlz72
it doesn't matter, kcl is pants for economics, plus a director at an assessment centre grilled me on why i wanted to do finance with something as unrelated as economics, and why i didn't instead go into something more economicsy related.

Do you mean that Economics is a lousy degree, but most people breaking into banking do economics?
Original post by imcrying
i want to go into banking but i've firmed KCL for history and political economy. Would it be better for me to go through clearing and do an Economics degree or stick with KCL?

does the degree matter or does the uni matter more??

Going to a target uni is much more important than what subject you're doing. Also as above economics isn't really that related to investment banking other than some fairly basic notions which you can pick up readily anywhere doing anything.
Reply 4
Original post by artful_lounger
Going to a target uni is much more important than what subject you're doing. Also as above economics isn't really that related to investment banking other than some fairly basic notions which you can pick up readily anywhere doing anything.

Does Subject matter when we go to a Semi-Target or is that a rule only for Targets where any subject is fine?
Original post by Manvith
Does Subject matter when we go to a Semi-Target or is that a rule only for Targets where any subject is fine?

I don't think it really matters in any case as long as you're able to demonstrate relevant knowledge and skills through work experience. But going to a semi-target uni might make it much harder to get said work experiences and later, interviews , in the first place...if your aim is investment banking you should aim to go to a target uni.
Original post by Manvith
Do you mean that Economics is a lousy degree, but most people breaking into banking do economics?

It's a very good degree, and highly respected for its academic merit, KCL is just not good at econ, and econ has little overlap with finance.
Reply 7
I don't think it really matters in any case as long as you're able to demonstrate relevant knowledge and skills through work experience. But going to a semi-target uni might make it much harder to get said work experiences and later, interviews , in the first place...if your aim is investment banking you should aim to go to a target uni.

I am not interested in investment banking, but I am interested to go into a career in asset management or investment management.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Manvith
I am not interested in investment banking, but I am interested to go into a career in asset management or investment management.

Probably similar then.
Reply 9
Probably similar then.

It would be harder to get into asset management as well from a Semi-Target than what careers are easy to get into from a Semi-Target?
Original post by Manvith
It would be harder to get into asset management as well from a Semi-Target than what careers are easy to get into from a Semi-Target?

If you're going to a semi-target then by all means try for those kinds of jobs but just accept there is no guarantee and you may find things harder to get into. You also no matter what need relevant work experience for any job.

Outside of that you could just as well go into any generalist grad scheme from any uni, in e.g. accountancy, the media, civil service, law training contracts, any number of generalist business/management oriented schemes etc. None of them care where you studied at all.

It's literally just investment banking and management consultancy that have such target/semi-target concepts.
(edited 1 year ago)
If you're going to a semi-target then by all means try for those kinds of jobs but just accept there is no guarantee and you may find things harder to get into. You also no matter what need relevant work experience for any job.

Outside of that you could just as well go into any generalist grad scheme from any uni, in e.g. accountancy, the media, civil service, law training contracts, any number of generalist business/management oriented schemes etc. None of them care where you studied at all.

It's literally just investment banking and management consultancy that have such target/semi-target concepts.

Do you mean that all the Front Office Roles will have the concept of Target and Semi-Target Universities?
Original post by Manvith
Do you mean that all the Front Office Roles will have the concept of Target and Semi-Target Universities?

You keep asking these same questions in threads on here - if what has been advised so far doesn't answer your question you would be better off just looking on linkedin to see where people studied so you have actual data to refer to on the matter.

Start by getting actual internships, summer schemes, insight days etc, and then apply, and then based on your success or lack thereof determine what is holding you back, assess if it can be remedied, then if so, do whatever needs to be done.

Simply spending all your time asking on the internet about basically nomenclature rather than actively making yourself employable is not going to help you in the slightest at the end of the day.
Reply 13
You keep asking these same questions in threads on here - if what has been advised so far doesn't answer your question you would be better off just looking on linkedin to see where people studied so you have actual data to refer to on the matter.

Start by getting actual internships, summer schemes, insight days etc, and then apply, and then based on your success or lack thereof determine what is holding you back, assess if it can be remedied, then if so, do whatever needs to be done.

Simply spending all your time asking on the internet about basically nomenclature rather than actively making yourself employable is not going to help you in the slightest at the end of the day.

I made warwick my insurance but i applied for politics and international relations, would you recommend that i reject kings on results day and go to warwick instead? my friend keeps telling me that to go to front office banking, they would rather you have an economics/maths degree from any uni rather than a degree thats not related (and not good) from a good uni so i should apply through clearing rather than go to kings.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by imcrying
I made warwick my insurance but i applied for politics and international relations, would you recommend that i reject kings on results day and go to warwick instead? my friend keeps telling me that to go to front office banking, they would rather you have an economics/maths degree from any uni rather than a degree thats not related (and not good) from a good uni.

Well your friend is wrong, and KCLs economics course is particularly somewhat less relevant in that vein since its only about 4 years old and completely "untested" in any case.

If you want to change your firm/insurance I would recommend getting in touch with UCAS to see if you can swap them - you can do so normally within 14 days of making your choices, but potentially even after that as well with agreement of the unis.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending