How to become Attorney General in the UK

Watch this thread
RetroSPECT3.0
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I understand that this quite an ambitious, abstract question, but how does one become the UK's Attorney General? I've been eye-balling a career as commercial/public law barrister, and have started to think about the Attorney General's role as sort of a long-term goal (like say, how those entering a business may aspire to be CEO). Though possibly unrealistic, what is the path to this role, out of interest?
And also, would you say the job is more politician than lawyer?
Last edited by RetroSPECT3.0; 1 month ago
Debold
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Be a member of Parliament for the winning Party.
Befriend and social engineer the members of your Party to get to a favourable position.
Prove yourself as Minister or Under-Secretary as someone who sides with the right people during bad times.
Get awarded Attorney General when your peer becomes PM.
Win.

Worked for whoever is knocking about in the role right now
Blayze
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
AG is purely a political appointment. See the current appointee who only practised for 10 years before becoming an MP, and whose QC status is a customary appointment because she's AG.
Crazy Jamie
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RetroSPECT3.0)
And also, would you say the job is more politician than lawyer?
At the moment the job is virtually all politician. Traditionally there has been a little more of a balance to it, but whichever way you spin it the role is a political appointment. It's an odd thing to aspire to as a lawyer. It's a more understandable thing to aspire to if your goal is a career in politics with a previous career in law behind you. But to my mind at least the driving force would have to be political aspirations, not legal. You'd certainly have to have an established political career before you'd be in a position to be considered for that role, which would be very difficult to do unless you had a particular drive for such a career. If you're looking at aspirational positions just as a lawyer the most obvious options would be the traditional goals of QC, partner and/or a judicial appointment and subsequent career.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Year 12s - where are you at with making decisions about university?

I’ve chosen my course and my university (26)
28.26%
I’ve chosen my course and shortlisted some universities (31)
33.7%
I’ve chosen my course, but not any universities (8)
8.7%
I’ve chosen my university, but not my course (3)
3.26%
I’ve shortlisted some universities, but not my course (5)
5.43%
I’m starting to consider my university options (13)
14.13%
I haven’t started thinking about university yet (4)
4.35%
I’m not planning on going to university (2)
2.17%

Watched Threads