Possible to overcome myxophobia (irrational fear of mucus)?

Watch this thread
Nick2019
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi. I’m a first year physio student and recently discovered part of the day-to-day job, especially in respiratory, involves looking at phlegm/sputum. After finding this out, I’ve become very concerned how I’ll fare on placement because, whenever I see phlegm, I get the urge to vomit and start gagging uncontrollably. The only way for me to not throw up is to look away/remove myself from the vicinity and take deep breaths. Obviously I can’t do this on placement or I’ll fail. Anyone ever experienced anything similar to this and managed to overcome it? Any tips?
Last edited by Nick2019; 1 month ago
Anonymous2766
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Commenting to bump as I also have a similar concern. I have a bit of a weak stomach and thought that I’d be okay because I thought physio was pretty sheltered from the more ‘gross’ side of medicine. I am now very worried.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (38)
26.21%
As I expected (47)
32.41%
Harder (53)
36.55%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.83%

Watched Threads