Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Barry Chuckle)
    there is nothing smart about this, and studying english is pointless.
    English isn't pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Snips)
    She didn't say she was being smart, she was being a smartass
    -smart = ass? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    My Biology teacher.

She has a 1st in Biochemistry. She was very very intrigued to learn that putting a lot of sugar into a jam or cake prolongs it's life as it makes it too acidic for bacteria to thrive.

I learned that in GCSE food tech.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Same with any professional, you wouldn't tell your solicitor how to address their letters, you wouldn't tell an architect how deep the foundations need to be so why would you tell a doctor or dentists that you know best?
    It depends. I had a big ol' argument with a medic about whether or not creatine supplementation is a terrible thing in terms of health or not. She was told it was by some sort of Dr., and if it had been me I'd have said something.

And I correct lawyers' letters all the time. In the summer, it's my job. For example, they might start a letter "Dear Sirs," and then by the end accidentally sign it "yours sincerely" - a catastrophic mistake. If something's wrong and it concerns me (which it would, if it were a medical professional doing stuff with MY body), I would correct it.

ReputationRep:
    My dentist is australian, he's kinda funny. When we first saw him, he had a picture of himself, his wife and kids on the wall. The next year, he had a picture of him and his kids, the year after he only had a picture of his dog, now he has a picture of him and his mates...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    Lol wht dgree r u doin then>?
    check my sig?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Higgy90)
    check my sig?
    Whatever floats your boring ol' boat.

ReputationRep:
    check my sig?
    o right haha i didnt see it soz im doing english LOL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB)
    o right haha i didnt see it soz im doing english LOL
    :rofl:

EDIT: I think I can use a bit of that to improve my sig!

You're going to the dentist. It's supposed to hurt.

ReputationRep:
    Not wise simply because the bracket is part of your brace, and so by coming loose from your bracket that thing has by necessity also come lose from your brace.

ReputationRep:
    not dentistry related but: When i was a kid i was very ill for a couple of years and i had to take quite heavy medication. By dad, who knows little about medicine-works in IT, became suspicious of the dosage and drugs i was being prescribed as the effects were quite unexpected. the doctor was VERY old fashioned (75 years old. real old school doctor from before the days of the internet when the ''common man'' was unable to question him because of lack of info available to them). Anyway may dad started researching on the net and found out about some medical conferences on my illness which he attenended and ended up speaking to a leading scienticist in the field. turned out i was being prescribed pretty unsafe amounts.

when presented with this the doctor in question became very defensive and quite authoritarian with my father. basically it was ''i'm the doctor. i'm right and you are wrong''. my dad said to him he could give us all he wanted but i wouldn't take them following the advice of the researcher my dad had met. He flew literally into a rage and refused to treat me. We actually ended up taking him to court. and the guy my dad met was kind enough to give me free, and appropriate unlike the little hitler we'd had to deal with, treatment at his private practice. all was good.

there was one doctor who didnt like being corrected. pretty scary guy. luckily slowly his sort are becoming a thing of the past

ReputationRep:
    my mom corrected this dentist because she was going to inject the anathsetics in her jaw or something instead of gums, don't remember but my mom was right...

ReputationRep:
    well, u are an english student - maybe he was dumbing it down for you?
    bang on the money there.

ReputationRep:
    I think the only time my Dr. gave me particularly stupid advice was when I last went for a general checkup (a couple of years ago). I have had inhalers since I was very young for asthma, but since the age of about 8 I've essentially grown out of it. By the time I saw my doctor, it had been a long time since I had taken any, but it came up on my record that I had some. He asked me if I'd been taking it and I said no, I didn't need it any more. At this point he prescribed me some more and told me to spend a month weaning myself off it. Strong WTF, since I had already weaned myself off it several years ago. I didn't bother to argue, and the taxpayers bought me some nice new inhalers which I somehow lost after a couple of days.

I hate the appeal to authority that we're expected to buy into (and which is called a logical fallacy for a reason) when we talk to doctors and I would never take a drug without researching it first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kklol)
    not dentistry related but: When i was a kid i was very ill for a couple of years and i had to take quite heavy medication. By dad, who knows little about medicine-works in IT, became suspicious of the dosage and drugs i was being prescribed as the effects were quite unexpected. the doctor was VERY old fashioned (75 years old. real old school doctor from before the days of the internet when the ''common man'' was unable to question him because of lack of info available to them). Anyway may dad started researching on the net and found out about some medical conferences on my illness which he attenended and ended up speaking to a leading scienticist in the field. turned out i was being prescribed pretty unsafe amounts.

when presented with this the doctor in question became very defensive and quite authoritarian with my father. basically it was ''i'm the doctor. i'm right and you are wrong''. my dad said to him he could give us all he wanted but i wouldn't take them following the advice of the researcher my dad had met. He flew literally into a rage and refused to treat me. We actually ended up taking him to court. and the guy my dad met was kind enough to give me free, and appropriate unlike the little hitler we'd had to deal with, treatment at his private practice. all was good.

there was one doctor who didnt like being corrected. pretty scary guy. luckily slowly his sort are becoming a thing of the past
    wow lucky your dad did that research. What happened after the court?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soz1)
    My dentist is australian, he's kinda funny. When we first saw him, he had a picture of himself, his wife and kids on the wall. The next year, he had a picture of him and his kids, the year after he only had a picture of his dog, now he has a picture of him and his mates...
    This is so going in my sig

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't want to annoy anyone who has sharp tools they can use on/in my face...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kklol)

like father like son.

seriously, you people are a burden to society.

Evolution needs to speed up a notch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnthonyShock)
    My Biology teacher.

She has a 1st in Biochemistry. She was very very intrigued to learn that putting a lot of sugar into a jam or cake prolongs it's life as it makes it too acidic for bacteria to thrive.

I learned that in GCSE food tech.
    To be fair, there probably isn't much crossover between a Biochemistry degree and a Food Technology GCSE.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.