Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I DO AGREE.....If i were you, i'll leave at once.

ReputationRep:
    i had a BIG fight with my dentist... and it hasn't turned out well...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Nonsense)
    i had a BIG fight with my dentist... and it hasn't turned out well...
    Did you end up getting all your teeth knocked out?

ReputationRep:
    yeah. my dentist looked at my records and said, "so, you'll be sitting your GCSEs then", and i was like, "yes" and she was like, "how are you finiding them, i found mine challenging", and i was like, "you're joking, right? They're easy".
    i then suddenly needed a filling. when i went back last time my new dentist was like, i don't know why you were given a filling, i don't believe you needed one :eek:
    touchy touchy.

ReputationRep:
    I have a maths 'teacher' who can't count, which is, well, fun.

ReputationRep:
    When i go to the Dentist i make sure that im not a smartass, i leave them to do there job, most of the rest of the time im a smartass though.

It gets you into trouble if your not careful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnthonyShock)
    My Biology teacher.

She has a 1st in Biochemistry. She was very very intrigued to learn that putting a lot of sugar into a jam or cake prolongs it's life as it makes it too acidic for bacteria to thrive.

I learned that in GCSE food tech.
    But sugar does not incease acidity...there are no H+ ions. I don't get it .

I was under the impression that sugar only improves shelf life because it helps with moisture retention, so stops the cake from drying out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mattilla the Hun)
    But sugar does not incease acidity...there are no H+ ions. I don't get it .

I was under the impression that sugar only improves shelf life because it helps with moisture retention, so stops the cake from drying out.
    Its just the fact that, although bacteria do need sugar, the amount of sugar in it is just too much. It diffuses along the conc gradient into the cell, and lyses it.

We need salt, but think what it would like if we were placed into a big vat of salt for hours and hours... might not to your cells any good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    yeah. my dentist looked at my records and said, "so, you'll be sitting your GCSEs then", and i was like, "yes" and she was like, "how are you finiding them, i found mine challenging", and i was like, "you're joking, right? They're easy".
    i then suddenly needed a filling. when i went back last time my new dentist was like, i don't know why you were given a filling, i don't believe you needed one :eek:
    touchy touchy.
    to be honest that just shows you clearly don't know how to interact with people; it's just rude

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james28291)
    to be honest that just shows you clearly don't know how to interact with people; it's just rude
    To be honest, yes. It sounds like the dentist was trying to be friendly but also be tactful just in case you wasn't doing too well at GCSEs; frankly, I doubt that anyone who's currently practicing dentistry found GCSEs challenging.

I also really question that a professional dentist would deliberately cause pain to or perform unnecessary operations on someone just for being impolite. For one thing, I'm reasonably sure that would be against their code of practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james28291)
    no :no: i didn't say it rudely or anything like that. and i doubt she was being nice because she is generally very rude herself. my mum has had to fill out a number of complaint forms about her for being rude to her, and she isn't the only one.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would have hurt like hell anyway lol. Tightened brackets SUCK. (used to have braces years ago).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fran Katzenjammer)
    My dentist said to me at my last appointment:
    "One of your things has come loose from your brace."
    I replied,
    "You mean 'bracket'."
    And his assistant laughed.

I think for a 17 year old English student to correct someone who spent some long years studying dentistry... is not wise when he's about to perform a procedure that requires delicacy for it not to hurt like hell.

It hurt like hell.

Have you ever regretted being a smartass?
    I think you're looking into it a bit much here. Are you saying he hurt you to get you back? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junglemonkey)
    Yes you can be charged for assault and at the very least, struck off the General Dental Council register and that's your career over.

Unecessary work/no consent, which can be as simple as not actually blatantly asking you if it's okay to put a mirror in your mouth, is classed as assault.

No jokes. Dentists get sued an average of once every three years. Damn lawsuit culture!
    Is that every dentist gets sued once every three years? Make friends with some law students quickly! :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bateman)
    like father like son.

seriously, you people are a burden to society.

Evolution needs to speed up a notch
    :fight:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.