The Student Room Group

failed first year at uni - can I resit?

I failed my first year of uni, and to be honest, quite badly. No secret, I just didn't do anywhere near enough work. I know my course does a resit period in a couple of months but you have to apply for a resit and the examination board have to approve this. This has made me wonder, is it possible that I will be denied a chance to resit? Like because my mark was significantly under the pass mark, is it possible they could just cut me off the course before a resit. I'm actually ashamed at my performance, and it's not easy to admit that, deep down I know that I can pass if I put the work in. And I'm very determined to show that, but I'm just worried because I did so poorly they can deny me a chance to resit. Has anyone ever heard of this or am I worrying over nothing?
Original post by Anonymous
I failed my first year of uni, and to be honest, quite badly. No secret, I just didn't do anywhere near enough work. I know my course does a resit period in a couple of months but you have to apply for a resit and the examination board have to approve this. This has made me wonder, is it possible that I will be denied a chance to resit? Like because my mark was significantly under the pass mark, is it possible they could just cut me off the course before a resit. I'm actually ashamed at my performance, and it's not easy to admit that, deep down I know that I can pass if I put the work in. And I'm very determined to show that, but I'm just worried because I did so poorly they can deny me a chance to resit. Has anyone ever heard of this or am I worrying over nothing?

Hi there 😊

I’m sorry to hear about your position, it’s a tough situation.

My first suggestion would be to check your University’s Student Handbook. The rules & regulations around resitting/repeating years will vary from one institution to another, so find what specifically applies to you.

Even if it says you can’t resit due to a very low mark, what do you have to lose by asking? If you have a personal tutor, or course director, it would be worth asking them if there are any options for you. The worst thing they can do is say no, and you’re no worse off than you were before anyway!

It may be a case of resitting some of the classes as well as the exams, but again this varies by institution so I can’t tell you what your options are.

Best of luck!
Ciara
2nd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador
Original post by Cranfield University
Hi there 😊

I’m sorry to hear about your position, it’s a tough situation.

My first suggestion would be to check your University’s Student Handbook. The rules & regulations around resitting/repeating years will vary from one institution to another, so find what specifically applies to you.

Even if it says you can’t resit due to a very low mark, what do you have to lose by asking? If you have a personal tutor, or course director, it would be worth asking them if there are any options for you. The worst thing they can do is say no, and you’re no worse off than you were before anyway!

It may be a case of resitting some of the classes as well as the exams, but again this varies by institution so I can’t tell you what your options are.

Best of luck!
Ciara
2nd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador

Thanks for the response, it doest say anywhere in the handbook that you can't resit due to a low mark. However, it does say that "students who fail may be permitted a chance to resit" I'm paraphrasing. The only reason I'm unsure is the word 'may'. It's making me think there's a chance they could deny a chance of resitting. My rational side is telling me there's no way they could just cut you off the course after 1 failed attempt. I'm just worrying here tbh.
It will really depend on your individual uni and course. Some courses (particularly healthcare professions courses) have restrictions on what and how often you can resit things for example. If you fail certain aspects in certain ways on those courses I understand it is possible to be withdrawn from the course on that basis. Also some unis do not have resits normally (this is I think mainly if not exclusively Oxford and Cambridge).

I would suggest you speak to your personal tutor and/or director of studies/programme coordinator about the situation and your options.
(edited 1 year ago)
Hi, I doubt they would deny you a chance to resit, when they say 'may' have a chance to resit they likely mean that if a student asks then they can have a resit, and that those who don't will just leave the course, hence they won't have the chance to resit. They don't know your circumstances, so you could have a reason as to why you didn't do so well the first time around, and likely other people will be resitting too, so it wouldn't be any difficulty for them for you to resit as well. I'm glad you've found your motivation :smile: and if I were you, I would apply for that resit, and start revising now, or start putting together revision materials, before they even get back to you, so that when you do resit you will be more prepared.

- Rosie.
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi, I doubt they would deny you a chance to resit, when they say 'may' have a chance to resit they likely mean that if a student asks then they can have a resit, and that those who don't will just leave the course, hence they won't have the chance to resit. They don't know your circumstances, so you could have a reason as to why you didn't do so well the first time around, and likely other people will be resitting too, so it wouldn't be any difficulty for them for you to resit as well. I'm glad you've found your motivation :smile: and if I were you, I would apply for that resit, and start revising now, or start putting together revision materials, before they even get back to you, so that when you do resit you will be more prepared.

- Rosie.

Thankyou so much Rosie, that is exactly what I needed to hear. Something that I believe hindered me greatly was that I took a gap year before this year. And I cannot tell you how difficult it was to throw myself into my course. I know it sounds pathetic, but first semester I honestly couldn't motivate myself at all. I'm not sure why, maybe it is because I was out if education for so long. But doing nothing first semester is what cost me, because around February time I fully submerged myself in my course but it was just too much to catch up on. I know it might just sound like what everyone says, but with the motivation I have now, I honestly know that we're I given a chance to resit I would work my ass off and I know I would pass. It's not about intelligence really, it's just about workload. Thankyou Rosie, this is the comment I needed to read..just focus on the positives kinda thing

Quick Reply

Latest