Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right I want to maths at Oxbridge because i have a huge passion for it and really enjoy it and currently doing maths, f.maths, physics, chemistry and economics but in A2 i want to drop economics and do additional further maths

would doing additional further maths icnrease my chances of getting accepted to additional further maths at oxbridge?

also another question as M6 no longer exists for edexcel (maybe other exam baords to?) then what modules would i have to take to get an A2 level in this...

currently i am taking the following modules:

Maths AS - C1,C2,S1 Maths A2 - C3,C4,M1
    F.Maths AS - FP1,D1,D2 F.Maths A2 - FP2, M2, M3

so what would i do for additional further maths?

AS - FP3, S2, S3 A2 - M4, M5 and S4?

any replies would be helpful
    thanks

To be honest, there is probably work you could do that is more enjoyable and beneficial, rather than doing AFM. I don't think it is particularly useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheemaj187)
    From personal experience, I have never known anyone with Additional Further Maths to be rejected from Oxbridge, and most go to study at Trinity, Cambridge. If you can get A's in triple maths then it shows you are the dog's ********, and a real passion and commitment for the subject. If you feel like its too much, then do some STEP and an AEA in maths like me
    Erm, last year Trinity actually stipulated in someone's offer that they would not accept an A in AFM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheemaj187)
    From personal experience, I have never known anyone with Additional Further Maths to be rejected from Oxbridge, and most go to study at Trinity, Cambridge.
    How many people make up your personal experience?

ReputationRep:
    so your advising me this isn't worthwhile...thats a shame as i love maths and could class it as a hobby

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesh_91)
    so your advising me this isn't worthwhile...thats a shame as i love maths and could class it as a hobby
    Sorry. I love maths a huge amount but it certainly doesn't spur me to study more modules. If anything it makes me want to explore a variety of different branches of the subject which aren't taught in schools

ReputationRep:
    I know of someone at my school last year who had 5 As including Additional Further Maths and had to settle for Computer Science at Cambridge (as opposed to Maths) because he didn't do magnificently in the STEP and "only" got a Merit in the AEA.

ReputationRep:
    It's worthwhile. But STEP is more worthwhile. Doing both is good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SimonM)
    Sorry. I love maths a huge amount but it certainly doesn't spur me to study more modules. If anything it makes me want to explore a variety of different branches of the subject which aren't taught in schools
    i see your point but the way i see it aswell is by studying extra modules then i am also furthering my experience in maths and learning new subject areas which interest me especially mechanics and pure

so the majority think it won't enhance my application to oxbridge to do maths?

ReputationRep:
    Do Step I,II and III it is better then AFM

ReputationRep:
    Erm, last year Trinity actually stipulated in someone's offer that they would not accept an A in AFM
    Yeah but they weren't rejected were they, which is what he was saying.

OP if you don't think it's too stressful then do it! If I had the chance to squeeze in some more maths and get an A, it would only be a good thing. You have physics and chemistry too anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Yeah but they weren't rejected were they, which is what he was saying.

OP if you don't think it's too stressful then do it! If I had the chance to squeeze in some more maths and get an A, it would only be a good thing. You have physics and chemistry too anyway!
    No, but it is a strong indicator of how the view it. BrightGirl "stressful" is the wrong word. For the top mathematicians an extra module is little if not no work at all.

ReputationRep:
    I did AFM AS. If you did that then you could carry on economics - you should find just FM not too difficult if you're going for Oxbridge maths. And yeah, If you're looking at Cambridge you'll need to do some STEP, which is not at all trivial so bear that in mind.

ReputationRep:
    you guys are lucky ... that ur colleges offer FM and AFM... we had to force our college to do AS FM ...

ReputationRep:
    well tbh I had to study it all myself - no help from teachers at all really. and I was the only one doing it in the whole school. Not many places will actually teach you AFM.

ReputationRep:
    No, but it is a strong indicator of how the view it. BrightGirl "stressful" is the wrong word. For the top mathematicians an extra module is little if not no work at all.
    That's fine but it just seemed like you were saying that what he said was wrong, but it was only from personal experience.
    If the OPs a 'top mathematician', he'd be able to do it easily, but others are saying do STEP, so I dunno.
    If I were to do fmaths alongside another maths, i'd be stressed, but then again i'm not the best of mathematicians so y'know.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths and Economics at A2 and am applying for economics at Cambridge. I don't think it's that stressful or difficult... just fast. (S4 is ***** though)

ReputationRep:
    well i teaching myself in my maths lessons because the pace is so slow but in my further maths lessons the teachers teach me but thats because the group has alot higer mathematical ability to the pace is really fast and i prefer it that way... well i like economics but because i LOVE all my other subjects then it seems to me as i don't like it if you get what i'm saying

oxbridge evening at my school is in two weeks so ill talk to the teachers there and at parents evening next week see what they think thanks for all your opinions have helped me make a decision

any more views would be helpful though

thanks alot,
    James Howell

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dramaminedreams)
    I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths and Economics at A2 and am applying for economics at Cambridge. I don't think it's that stressful or difficult... just fast. (S4 is ***** though)
    A bit of variety never hurt anyone.

(Original post by jamesh_91)
    i see your point but the way i see it aswell is by studying extra modules then i am also furthering my experience in maths and learning new subject areas which interest me especially mechanics and pure
    FP3 is important, so perhaps study that in your spare time. However, the other modules aren't particularly useful, so if you want to further your mathematical ability then spending the time you would have spent studying AFM to study other maths would, in my opinion, be more beneficial than studying AFM.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 15, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.