LearnDirect Access to HE/Online access courses for Uni?

Watch this thread
user1909888
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Has anybody here taken an access to higher education course *online*, through learn direct or any other provider? And as a result studied at university level?

I'm just wondering as I currently work full time, and thought it might be an option if I can't reduce my working hours and study in person at a college... Do UK universities accept it?
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by user1909888)
Has anybody here taken an access to higher education course *online*, through learn direct or any other provider? And as a result studied at university level?

I'm just wondering as I currently work full time, and thought it might be an option if I can't reduce my working hours and study in person at a college... Do UK universities accept it?
user1909888
I have taught on Access to HE for nearly 10 years so I can help. If you are going to do the online route then a respected provider such as Learn Direct is a good one to use. The key thing with a provider is that they are registered with Ofqual and that the diploma has been approved by an awarding body - in the north west it is Open Awards.

I would say that typically studying in a college has its advantages such as there will be tutorials to give you advice and guidance on your UCAS application, and also there will be stronger support networks in place. That's not to say that some online providers won't have these things.

An online provider is ideal for Social Sciences, sometimes, some learners struggle with some of the more Sciency content online such as a Nursing Pathway or Health Sciences.

Some college's are using online unit's as part of their teaching, but I would estimate it's usually one unit per subject at a lot of colleges - it might be worth talking to the course co-ordinator at your local FE college

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
user1909888
Rep:
Hi Marc,

Thank you so much for your advice and information re the awarding bodies! I will definitely take it all into consideration.
Arden University
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by user1909888)
Hi Marc,

Thank you so much for your advice and information re the awarding bodies! I will definitely take it all into consideration.
user1909888
It looks like they are validated through the Open College Network so you should be fine

Marc
user1909888
Rep:
(Original post by Arden University)
user1909888
It looks like they are validated through the Open College Network so you should be fine

Marc
Thank you again and also for the detail of pros and cons which courses are more suited online and in person. Greatly appreciated cheers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.25%
As I expected (24)
30%
Harder (30)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads