The Student Room Group

Reapplying to Oxford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Thanks everyone for the advice.
Original post by the.night.we.met
This discussion drove me to deciding that i will reapply but also clearly mention my current uni (LSE hopefully). I don't care if they automatically reject me, just want to give it another go. And i don't want to lose my current places under any circumstances too.

This thread made me more hesitant, so I’ll probably take time to consider whether I’m prepared for such a risk

One thing worth noting is that Oxford only requires reference from your current uni if ‘you don’t have A-level or equivalent qualifications at the grades required for the standard offer for the course you are interested in applying for.’

The thing is I’d have finished my exams by Oct 15 and have achieved grades. Does that technically mean I won’t need a reference from my uni professor? Because in that way, in case I decide to re-apply, the procedures will be much easier
(edited 1 year ago)
Curious to know on what you eventually decided as I’m in a very similar position
Reply 22
Original post by Yatharth15
Curious to know on what you eventually decided as I’m in a very similar position

hey! I’m waiting for exam results; if I manage to get anything more than A*AA I’m going to reapply. wbu?
Reply 23
Considering the advice above I actually emailed some of the colleges and one of them said they’d be glad to accept reapplication from year one students with a reference from high school teachers. So I’ll probably reapply
Which college was this?
Original post by gianna103
Considering the advice above I actually emailed some of the colleges and one of them said they’d be glad to accept reapplication from year one students with a reference from high school teachers. So I’ll probably reapply

And i'm presuming that we will have to mention our current place, right? What university have you firmed? I've firmed LSE law.
And i'm presuming that we will have to mention our current place, right? What university have you firmed? I've firmed LSE law.

You must list it in your education history. You only need to discuss it in your personal statement if it's relevant to your suitability or motivation for the new course.
Which college allowed this?
(edited 1 year ago)
OMG How do we have the exact same thought process haha. For me I'm gonna wait till results day and see if I can get higher than A*AA and probably reapply or else just go to UCL.

hey! I’m waiting for exam results; if I manage to get anything more than A*AA I’m going to reapply. wbu?
Also, random question (slightly personal sorry) are you an international student or a home student if I may ask? I am an international student so hopefully that shouldn't affect the reapplication process.
I will also be reapplying. I'm Indian, wby?
This is such a silly idea
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications
A7042C44-D0F0-4506-8F42-D1D5C45C4978.jpeg
Applying to Oxford less than a month into year 1 at LSE with a PS explaining why you don’t want to continue your course at LSE isn’t going to impress anyone.

When they say they’ll consider applications it’s because they WILL consider applicants with exceptional circumstances. Usually applicants who have COMPLETED year 1 elsewhere (with good marks) but who have decided they don’t want to progress into year 2 elsewhere and apply to Oxford while suspending their studies elsewhere.
Original post by PQ
This is such a silly idea
https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/courses/admission-requirements/uk-qualifications
A7042C44-D0F0-4506-8F42-D1D5C45C4978.jpeg
Applying to Oxford less than a month into year 1 at LSE with a PS explaining why you don’t want to continue your course at LSE isn’t going to impress anyone.

When they say they’ll consider applications it’s because they WILL consider applicants with exceptional circumstances. Usually applicants who have COMPLETED year 1 elsewhere (with good marks) but who have decided they don’t want to progress into year 2 elsewhere and apply to Oxford while suspending their studies elsewhere.

Exactly this. Plus your reasoning for transferring cannot just be "I like Oxford more" or "Oxford is more prestigious". Either commit to a gap year and reapply, or go to LSE and stay at LSE.
I will also be reapplying. I'm Indian, wby?

Same
Original post by isabelbelle
Exactly this. Plus your reasoning for transferring cannot just be "I like Oxford more" or "Oxford is more prestigious". Either commit to a gap year and reapply, or go to LSE and stay at LSE.

What if you reapply from a foreign university and your main reason for the switch is the collegiate system and academic rigour that Oxford provides?
What if you reapply from a foreign university and your main reason for the switch is the collegiate system and academic rigour that Oxford provides?

Neither of those are exceptional circumstances. Just drop out of the foreign uni and reapply to Oxford in the normal way.
So a productive gap year might be best for me I think
Reply 37
Also, random question (slightly personal sorry) are you an international student or a home student if I may ask? I am an international student so hopefully that shouldn't affect the reapplication process.

I’m an international student. The reason why I’m making a big fuss is that I’m not allowed to take a gap year and be out of education for an entire year, or maybe I shd say that taking a gap year is very rare in where I come from. Yeah but this is just a thought. I’m not seriously committing myself to reapplication yet
Honestly same. My parents probably wouldn’t agree to a gap year so I even emailed my school guidance counselor who was like you could reapply and we would provide you a reference but it would be a waste of a year so not deciding anything yet.
I’m an international student. The reason why I’m making a big fuss is that I’m not allowed to take a gap year and be out of education for an entire year, or maybe I shd say that taking a gap year is very rare in where I come from. Yeah but this is just a thought. I’m not seriously committing myself to reapplication yet
There are other qualifications or education that can be done during a gap year instead of starting a degree you don’t intend to complete

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending