commuting

Watch this thread
soaosaoid
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
How long is to long to commute to university???
RedNot
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Depends on how much time you have. If you live within an hour of your university and would rather pay for transport than accomodation then that's always an option. Bear in mind you will need to get to and from lectures, likely multiple times a week and that will also be impacted by the weather, transport options available and social costs too. The further you live from uni, the harder it is to meet and go out with people who are also in that university, as they are more likely to live on or near campus. Hope this helps!
soaosaoid
Rep:
(Original post by RedNot)
Depends on how much time you have. If you live within an hour of your university and would rather pay for transport than accomodation then that's always an option. Bear in mind you will need to get to and from lectures, likely multiple times a week and that will also be impacted by the weather, transport options available and social costs too. The further you live from uni, the harder it is to meet and go out with people who are also in that university, as they are more likely to live on or near campus. Hope this helps!
Hi
i ask as im not sure which unniversity to accept manchester or huddersfield?i live in bradford and dont have the option of living in accomodation
University of Huddersfield Student Rep
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by soaosaoid)
Hi soaosaoid,

I saw that you mentioned you're deciding between Huddersfield and Manchester, and you live in Bradford. I think it's really important to consider all the thing's mentioned by RedNot.

As someone who commuted from Huddersfield to Bradford for work for a year - I worked full time so I commuted 5 days a week - the travel wasn't bad at all. You'll have the option of both bus and train, so if there's an issue with one you'll always have the other, and if you're desperate taxi's are an option too as they'll be a lot cheaper than travelling from Manchester to Bradford. There's also quite a few student's from Bradford that attend Huddersfield uni, so it's possible that you might find someone to car share with!

I hope this helps☺️ Let me know if you've got any question's about Hudersfield just let me know.
- Rebecca, 3rd Year Psychology Student
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi soaosaoidIt depends on personal preference. Some people may be willing to travel further than others if it's a university they really want to attend. My travel time is about 30 minutes which is something I'm comfortable with. Personally I would be willing to travel up to an hour as I commute to university. You must also consider the cost of travelling if it is going to be a long way and if this can fit into your budget.

All the best
Kasey - ULaw Student Ambassador
soaosaoid
Rep:
(Original post by The University of Law Students)
Hi soaosaoidIt depends on personal preference. Some people may be willing to travel further than others if it's a university they really want to attend. My travel time is about 30 minutes which is something I'm comfortable with. Personally I would be willing to travel up to an hour as I commute to university. You must also consider the cost of travelling if it is going to be a long way and if this can fit into your budget.

All the best
Kasey - ULaw Student Ambassador
Hi
Do you think travelling from Bradford to Manchester would be manageable ?
LeviBronte
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I think it depends on when you prefer
soaosaoid
Rep:
(Original post by LeviBronte)
I think it depends on when you prefer
Do you think travelling from bradford to manchester on train would be manageable?
LeviBronte
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Do you think travelling from bradford to manchester on train would be manageable?
you mean at the moment?
soaosaoid
Rep:
(Original post by LeviBronte)
you mean at the moment?
in september for university?
LeviBronte
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
in september for university?
Yeah
zakramsey
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi
i ask as im not sure which unniversity to accept manchester or huddersfield?i live in bradford and dont have the option of living in accomodation
From what I've seen, Huddersfield uni is fantastic.
soaosaoid
Rep:
(Original post by zakramsey)
From what I've seen, Huddersfield uni is fantastic.
Di you know anything about the science extended degree and progression on to other courses like pharmacy?
zakramsey
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Di you know anything about the science extended degree and progression on to other courses like pharmacy?
Afraid not, I intend to study there for the English Language and Linguistics course. Sorry.
martin7
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Don't forget to factor in the time it will take to get from your front door to the station in Bradford, and the time to get from the station in Manchester to where your lectures are taking place.

Consider what time you'd need to leave your home in the morning (and by extension what time you'd need to get up) to get to a 9am lecture on time; and conversely, what time you'd get home if you have a lecture in the latest possible slot in the afternoon (you'd need to check what time your university's lectures might run to).
The University of Law Students
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Thought I'd jump on here as I commuted 1 hour 30 mins into London and then I had a 25 min walk across town (or 15 min tube ride). I could do my commute as I had afternoon lectures and so avoid rush hour. It meant I could also work on the train as it was quieter when travelling. It was a good set up for me personally. However, had my lectures been in the morning, I'm not sure I would have enjoyed the commute in rush hour and nor would I have got as much work done. Something to consider about your timetable and journey.

Best,
Nic
Student Ambassador at The University of Law
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.25%
As I expected (24)
30%
Harder (30)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise