The Student Room Group

commuting

How long is to long to commute to university???
Reply 1
Depends on how much time you have. If you live within an hour of your university and would rather pay for transport than accomodation then that's always an option. Bear in mind you will need to get to and from lectures, likely multiple times a week and that will also be impacted by the weather, transport options available and social costs too. The further you live from uni, the harder it is to meet and go out with people who are also in that university, as they are more likely to live on or near campus. Hope this helps!
Reply 2
Original post by RedNot
Depends on how much time you have. If you live within an hour of your university and would rather pay for transport than accomodation then that's always an option. Bear in mind you will need to get to and from lectures, likely multiple times a week and that will also be impacted by the weather, transport options available and social costs too. The further you live from uni, the harder it is to meet and go out with people who are also in that university, as they are more likely to live on or near campus. Hope this helps!

Hi
i ask as im not sure which unniversity to accept manchester or huddersfield?i live in bradford and dont have the option of living in accomodation
Original post by soaosaoid

Hi @soaosaoid,

I saw that you mentioned you're deciding between Huddersfield and Manchester, and you live in Bradford. I think it's really important to consider all the thing's mentioned by RedNot.

As someone who commuted from Huddersfield to Bradford for work for a year - I worked full time so I commuted 5 days a week - the travel wasn't bad at all. You'll have the option of both bus and train, so if there's an issue with one you'll always have the other, and if you're desperate taxi's are an option too as they'll be a lot cheaper than travelling from Manchester to Bradford. There's also quite a few student's from Bradford that attend Huddersfield uni, so it's possible that you might find someone to car share with!

I hope this helps☺️ Let me know if you've got any question's about Hudersfield just let me know.
- Rebecca, 3rd Year Psychology Student

Hi @soaosaoidIt depends on personal preference. Some people may be willing to travel further than others if it's a university they really want to attend. My travel time is about 30 minutes which is something I'm comfortable with. Personally I would be willing to travel up to an hour as I commute to university. You must also consider the cost of travelling if it is going to be a long way and if this can fit into your budget.

All the best
Kasey - ULaw Student Ambassador
Reply 5
Original post by The University of Law Students
Hi @soaosaoidIt depends on personal preference. Some people may be willing to travel further than others if it's a university they really want to attend. My travel time is about 30 minutes which is something I'm comfortable with. Personally I would be willing to travel up to an hour as I commute to university. You must also consider the cost of travelling if it is going to be a long way and if this can fit into your budget.

All the best
Kasey - ULaw Student Ambassador

Hi
Do you think travelling from Bradford to Manchester would be manageable ?

I think it depends on when you prefer
Reply 7
Original post by LeviBronte
I think it depends on when you prefer

Do you think travelling from bradford to manchester on train would be manageable?
Do you think travelling from bradford to manchester on train would be manageable?

you mean at the moment?
Reply 9
Original post by LeviBronte
you mean at the moment?

in september for university?
in september for university?

Yeah
Hi
i ask as im not sure which unniversity to accept manchester or huddersfield?i live in bradford and dont have the option of living in accomodation

From what I've seen, Huddersfield uni is fantastic.
Reply 12
Original post by zakramsey
From what I've seen, Huddersfield uni is fantastic.

Di you know anything about the science extended degree and progression on to other courses like pharmacy?
Di you know anything about the science extended degree and progression on to other courses like pharmacy?

Afraid not, I intend to study there for the English Language and Linguistics course. Sorry.

Don't forget to factor in the time it will take to get from your front door to the station in Bradford, and the time to get from the station in Manchester to where your lectures are taking place.

Consider what time you'd need to leave your home in the morning (and by extension what time you'd need to get up) to get to a 9am lecture on time; and conversely, what time you'd get home if you have a lecture in the latest possible slot in the afternoon (you'd need to check what time your university's lectures might run to).
Thought I'd jump on here as I commuted 1 hour 30 mins into London and then I had a 25 min walk across town (or 15 min tube ride). I could do my commute as I had afternoon lectures and so avoid rush hour. It meant I could also work on the train as it was quieter when travelling. It was a good set up for me personally. However, had my lectures been in the morning, I'm not sure I would have enjoyed the commute in rush hour and nor would I have got as much work done. Something to consider about your timetable and journey.

Best,
Nic
Student Ambassador at The University of Law

Quick Reply

Latest