The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
It is really toxic on your part to even say this.

Oh for heaven's sake, grow up. You made a statement: they offered a solution. It's not toxic to tell you that you can withdraw - it's a realistic solution to your superficial statement.

You could also switch to continue your course at another university - that is also a good-faith statement with no toxic intent.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by gtty123
"I encountered some toxic human beings, felt a lack of support as well."

Sounds like a problem most, if not every, universities have, not this one.

Absolutely right. Universities are increasing numbers to increase funding, but have issues with increasing pastoral support at a similar rate.

OTOH it isn't just the university's response: ultimately each individual needs to take responsibility for their actions and responses.
Original post by DataVenia
I suspect you would get a more sympathetic set of responses if you explained what these "toxic human beings" have done, and what support you felt was lacking from the university when you requested it. Your posts are just too vague right now, so no-one really knows what you're talking about.

The same applies to the fact that you had "absolutely no choice" but to attend and that you "either stay here or bid farewell to dear mankind". I suspect this might be code for, "I have really strict parents who told me I had to go to this particular university, and who would be very disappointed if I dropped out." Is it?

It would make all our lives so much easier if we didn't have to guess what you mean.

I have made this very clear.
Original post by Lysistrata
Oh for heaven's sake, grow up. You made a statement: they offered a solution. It's not toxic to tell you that you can withdraw - it's a realistic solution to your superficial statement.

You could also switch to continue your course at another university - that is also a good-faith statement with no toxic intent.

No, that is not possible.
I have made this very clear.

No. You haven't.

I've just read through this whole thread again, and I'm still none the wiser as to what your actual issue is.
No. You haven't.

I've just read through this whole thread again, and I'm still none the wiser as to what your actual issue is.

I refer to that statement. You can reread it.
I refer to that statement. You can reread it.

The fact that you're clearly trolling has just dawned on me. /unwatch
The fact that you're clearly trolling has just dawned on me. /unwatch

I ain't trolling. It's you refusing to understand my concern.
Tbf, if the OP is there, my impression of St Andrews is going the same way.
Original post by Trinculo

Never mind, everyone has different impressions of the school, I guess.

Sorry, what do you mean?

Too late for this year but join clubs next year and meet new people.
Original post by North London1
Too late for this year but join clubs next year and meet new people.

It's too late for me to get back my life
(Original post by Anonymous)It's too late for me to get back my life
It sounds like you are depressed and need help. No university or some students take away your life. Are you from the UK or ioverseas and struggling with distance and cultural differences? This semester has ended so I guess that you are at home?
(edited 1 year ago)
(Original post by Anonymous)It's too late for me to get back my life
It sounds like you are depressed and need help. No university or some students take away your life. Are you from the UK or ioverseas and struggling with distance and cultural differences? This semester has ended so I guess that you are at home?

I'm British. I didn't say anyone of this university or any university policies has taken away my life. I'm still here because I'm a PG who will stay over the summer & on until next year. I have always been that - been that for several years beyond help & still prevail. I am adapted to learned helplessness. C'est la vie. What keeps me alive is my cowardice, my fear of height & fear of mortality.

I know you are a mother of several children who are already undergraduates, so you may feel deeply for those who don't appear to be happy, I'm thankful for that, but...well, I'm still a L'étranger to all of you here. My life may not intersect with yours. I'm not sure what can be done by you or anyone else for me.
I'm British. I didn't say anyone of this university or any university policies has taken away my life. I'm still here because I'm a PG who will stay over the summer & on until next year. I have always been that - been that for several years beyond help & still prevail. I am adapted to learned helplessness. C'est la vie. What keeps me alive is my cowardice, my fear of height & fear of mortality.

I know you are a mother of several children who are already undergraduates, so you may feel deeply for those who don't appear to be happy, I'm thankful for that, but...well, I'm still a L'étranger to all of you here. My life may not intersect with yours. I'm not sure what can be done by you or anyone else for me.

Go to your doctor there and talk to them They are really good. My eldest was diagnosed with ADHD last year after us trying for a diagnosis from the age of 9. You might never feel truly happy if it's in your nature, but you can certainly feel much better than now, and function better too. It sounds like there are deep-rooted issues about worth and ability which could be worked through. You need to make the effort to move forward and try to heal, however raw that might feel at first as you have the rest of your life ahead of you.
Go to your doctor there and talk to them They are really good. My eldest was diagnosed with ADHD last year after us trying for a diagnosis from the age of 9. You might never feel truly happy if it's in your nature, but you can certainly feel much better than now, and function better too. It sounds like there are deep-rooted issues about worth and ability which could be worked through. You need to make the effort to move forward and try to heal, however raw that might feel at first as you have the rest of your life ahead of you.

Let me see how it goes

Why make negative assertions without offering any evidence or example?
Original post by Lysistrata
Why make negative assertions without offering any evidence or example?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean.

Just looked at your posts. Are you even a student? You've posted on multiple different university threads with comments about halls etc. as well as many parts of the UK.

Latest

Trending

Trending