The Student Room Group

plagiarism in gcse

I watch a lot of youtube videos on how to write descriptions/story..if I write something that I've seen on that video in my exam..will it be classed as plagiarism
sorry if this sounds stupid lol
I think that if someone copies word for word a whole story, then yes, that would be plagiarism. If someone takes the idea of the story but makes their own out of it(own sentences/ descriptions etc), then it won’t. If you have your own story and want to add in sentences seen from stories online, that also won’t really be classed as plagiarism, as long as you change words/ structure of sentence etc.
It depends. Using one metaphor/simile or something that you saw in that text is fine. But if you copy it word-for-word then it would be plagiarism.
However, examiners do not check for plagiarism so you will likely get away with it (I don't condone this though)
Reply 3
What if they don't know it has been copied?
It’s not plagiarism if it’s an official exam in timed conditions (not coursework). If you have memorised something and recall it that isn’t plagiarism.

I wouldn’t advise learning a description or story though, just write naturally depending on the question.

Alan Babic.
Screenshot 2022-05-18 064658.png
-- AQA English Language examiner's report (paper 1 summer 2019)
Original post by nullified
Screenshot 2022-05-18 064658.png
-- AQA English Language examiner's report (paper 1 summer 2019)

What if i saw a previous exam paper but changed most of the plot but kept a tiny bit the same? (Only same part is the phone call from an old friend). I really want to write this story but dont want to be plagairised

Quick Reply

Latest