Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbi_louise_whey)
    I know, but as you can probably tell, I am a tad desperate to get in. Who told you this stuff?
    They say it in their admissions policy, the departmental acknowledgement you receive and also a couple of my friends last year who applied said that they didn't get replies until late december/early January. Just relax you'll find out soon enough, all the best

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neon)
    I got my offer within two weeks after applying. I'd be worried if I were you guys
    Again, not particularly helpful, but thanks. Jokes.

Mine hasn't been in the big UCAS world for two weeks yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abbi_louise_whey)
    Again, not particularly helpful, but thanks. Jokes.

Mine hasn't been in the big UCAS world for two weeks yet.
    :awesome:

I'm at Bristol. Ask me stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neon)

Why do the girls all around clifton have funny things resembling splintered animal bones painted pink in their hair?

Why is there a whiteladies road and a blackboy hill?

Why is it necessary for everyone at the bloomin university to put 'literally' before every other word?

Why haven't uggs gone out of fashion yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valkyrja)
    Why do the girls all around clifton have funny things resembling splintered animal bones painted pink in their hair?

Why is there a whiteladies road and a blackboy hill?

Why is it necessary for everyone at the bloomin university to put 'literally' before every other word?

Why haven't uggs gone out of fashion yet?

1. havent seen that
    2. slave trade
    3. cos thats what people do...not just here
    3. no brains

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neon)

Is it true that Hitler is still alive?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neon)
    1. havent seen that
    2. slave trade
    3. cos thats what people do...not just here
    3. no brains

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Just thought you may like to know that you've definitely done a good thing deferring in terms of facilities! They are starting a multi million pound redevelopment of the drama dept in a few months (starting with demolition!) to be completed by 2011, so in your final year you'll get nice & shiny new facilities to play with, whereas my year are just going to be working within half a building during our dissertations probs

thought I'd say hello....was nosing at this thread.

Good luck everyone.
    yay! that's particularly good, as my last year is the only one where i have the possibility of submitting practical work. how's bristol treating you?

ReputationRep:
    Got my offer while waiting for the oxford one to arrive....that makes it....Jan-ish? O_o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Katie6Gee)
    ahh i want an offer from Bristol to do with law and french sooo much!! If you don't mind me asking, what did you get in the LNAT? I have had three other offers, so I hope my UCAS is okay, but I don't want to get in because of a low LNAT score.
    Do you have most of your lectures in the Wills building? it looks amazing from the outside, was too scared to go in!
    Sorry for questions!

Kate x
    Bristol is very lenient with LNAT, i got 16 = = and i know a few international ppl who got lower than that. LNAT doesn't say anything about being a law student, i'm fine where i am and i dont feel like "oh everyone is so smart, i'm so stupid" at all, we all pretty much start on par.

We have all our tutorials in the Wills Memorial, bt lectures are in the Physics building (the wills memorial can't really accomodate 180 students in one room, and the great hall is not for lecture purposes). But it's really nice that building i love it too

ReputationRep:
    I have applied for the drama and english course..and want to know if anyone has received the email stating that they may or may not get an interrview..i got an email saying that my appl. is being taken into further consideration and i may/may not get an interview for the course...we shall seee....

ReputationRep:
    still waiting for a reply for engineering ¬¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gmbradley2)
    I have applied for the drama and english course..and want to know if anyone has received the email stating that they may or may not get an interrview..i got an email saying that my appl. is being taken into further consideration and i may/may not get an interview for the course...we shall seee....
    I'm applying for Single Honours Drama and got that same email today...being kept for further consideration...outlining when the interview dates are and that you may/may not get an interview. To be honest, seeing as the first interview date is in February I get the impression they send that to almost every application they haven't rejected and give out very, very few interview places at this point. I think they like to see more applications before deciding seeing as they hand out so few interviews compared to applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s_k)
    I'm applying for Single Honours Drama and got that same email today...being kept for further consideration...outlining when the interview dates are and that you may/may not get an interview. To be honest, seeing as the first interview date is in February I get the impression they send that to almost every application they haven't rejected and give out very, very few interview places at this point. I think they like to see more applications before deciding seeing as they hand out so few interviews compared to applications.
    Ya I agree.....Bristol is my top choice...but there is so much competition that my hopes aren't high at all....it will be the biggest achievement if i get an interview...it will be fun because it means I have to fly from Bahrain to go to itt!! but im really not banking on it

ReputationRep:
    Ya I agree.....Bristol is my top choice...but there is so much competition that my hopes aren't high at all....it will be the biggest achievement if i get an interview...it will be fun because it means I have to fly from Bahrain to go to itt!! but im really not banking on it
    (Original post by s_k)
    Quoted both of you so that you both saw this...

Don't panic! Bristol send the arsey letter/email to pretty much everyone, they continue to interview well in to the spring and quite a few people get interviews at short notice.

Because the application is based on a points system and there tends to be more than 90 people with the same level of points, they hold applications and argue over who to interview....same thing happens after the interview in terms of allocating places.

You will probably be asked to bring an example of your writing to the interview, it will be a critical essay related to drama (so any english/drama/media coursework) it is REALLY important you present it properly because thats the one thing a lot of people forget to do, and could give you a few extra points to get a place. By 'properly' I mean double spaced, use indented paragraphs and put a cover sheet on with your name, Birstol application number, Ucas application number, essay title and what the essay was originally for... so "Joe Bloggs, 0900455, 07799937823, "The light at the end of the tunnel" a study of mise-en-scen in david lynch's blue velvet, Film studies A2, 2009.

They keep changing the audition set up but they always interview...I would say the two most important things to do are to get involved with any group discussions they encourage (whether this is after showing eachother devised pieces in the audition part or if they do a sort of seminar thing) and to not be a drama-bot in the interview, be honest, tell them what you find interesting not what you think they want to hear you say. In my interview I talked about old books, the fact my lecturer in college thinks im sexually repressed, disney world and being carnival queen - all obviously in some kind of relation to drama, but my point is is that i didnt go in and waffle...you only get one shot so it's better you be honest, open and truthful about who you are, what your interests are and not get in, than if you had made the right noises and not shown who you are.

The course is very practical for single honours and there is no timetabled practical for joint honours until the third year where you can do a dissertation through practice (so make sure that you're comfortable with this, because a lot of the joint honours say it's a bit disheartening). It's extremely long hours for single honours - first year intensive period has just begun and we're in 9.30 - 10pm on three days next week as well as the weekend.

I'm not 100% sure but they only give 30 offers...and if people decline then theres simply less people in the year group (there's 23 in mine). I would also approach the whole "bristol is my favourite choice" with caution, the league tables are just ***** data...in reality a degree from Bristol, Warwick, Manchester, Exeter or RHUL is just as valid and if it suits you better then go for it. Bristol is very particular kind of course and in the past people have been very unhappy on it, make sure you want to be there if you get an offer not just it's prestige.

If you want any advice on anything brizzle-related PM me.

Oh and if you do get in and decide to accept....do not live in stoke bishop.....you will regret it when rehearsals get long and you are faced with the prospect of a freezing cold 40-min walk in the dark over the downs when you're exhausted.

ReputationRep:

Don't panic! Bristol send the arsey letter/email to pretty much everyone, they continue to interview well in to the spring and quite a few people get interviews at short notice.

Because the application is based on a points system and there tends to be more than 90 people with the same level of points, they hold applications and argue over who to interview....same thing happens after the interview in terms of allocating places.

You will probably be asked to bring an example of your writing to the interview, it will be a critical essay related to drama (so any english/drama/media coursework) it is REALLY important you present it properly because thats the one thing a lot of people forget to do, and could give you a few extra points to get a place. By 'properly' I mean double spaced, use indented paragraphs and put a cover sheet on with your name, Birstol application number, Ucas application number, essay title and what the essay was originally for... so "Joe Bloggs, 0900455, 07799937823, "The light at the end of the tunnel" a study of mise-en-scen in david lynch's blue velvet, Film studies A2, 2009.

They keep changing the audition set up but they always interview...I would say the two most important things to do are to get involved with any group discussions they encourage (whether this is after showing eachother devised pieces in the audition part or if they do a sort of seminar thing) and to not be a drama-bot in the interview, be honest, tell them what you find interesting not what you think they want to hear you say. In my interview I talked about old books, the fact my lecturer in college thinks im sexually repressed, disney world and being carnival queen - all obviously in some kind of relation to drama, but my point is is that i didnt go in and waffle...you only get one shot so it's better you be honest, open and truthful about who you are, what your interests are and not get in, than if you had made the right noises and not shown who you are.

The course is very practical for single honours and there is no timetabled practical for joint honours until the third year where you can do a dissertation through practice (so make sure that you're comfortable with this, because a lot of the joint honours say it's a bit disheartening). It's extremely long hours for single honours - first year intensive period has just begun and we're in 9.30 - 10pm on three days next week as well as the weekend.

I'm not 100% sure but they only give 30 offers...and if people decline then theres simply less people in the year group (there's 23 in mine). I would also approach the whole "bristol is my favourite choice" with caution, the league tables are just ***** data...in reality a degree from Bristol, Warwick, Manchester, Exeter or RHUL is just as valid and if it suits you better then go for it. Bristol is very particular kind of course and in the past people have been very unhappy on it, make sure you want to be there if you get an offer not just it's prestige.

Oh and if you do get in and decide to accept....do not live in stoke bishop.....you will regret it when rehearsals get long and you are faced with the prospect of a freezing cold 40-min walk in the dark over the downs when you're exhausted.
    Thanks a lot, that was really helpful. Bristol is definitely my first choice. I had my interview for Warwick on weds and have one for RHUL in 2 weeks. Bristol's application/interview process sounds 100 times more complicated than either of these!!!!

ReputationRep:
    yh i got my offer ages ago...around 2 weeks after i sent it off
    COURSE: ECONOMICS AND MANAGEMENT
    OFFER: AAA

ReputationRep:

That WAS GREAT thank YOU very much for your advice...unbelievably helpful!!

I am applying for the joint honors course and now that you said that there is no timetabled practical session I am indeed disheartened... lets say I get an offer and decide to accept...will i be able to transfer from the joint to single honors course?

What do you do? single or joints? ...is it good?

thanks x

ReputationRep:

I am applying for the joint honors course and now that you said that there is no timetabled practical session I am indeed disheartened... lets say I get an offer and decide to accept...will i be able to transfer from the joint to single honors course?

thanks x
    Yes if you get in with a joint offer and decide you want to switch to single honours you can do it at any point throughout the course except for the second half of the final year. Lot's of people have done it in the past, however, I'm pretty sure that once you switch to single honours you can't go back to joint.

Joint honours students do still get to do prac in the form of studiospace, which is the Departmental Drama Society (i.e. only people studying drama can be part of it) and there's plenty of opportunity to get involved with that, it functions more like a company than a society - so is very very cool (as well as a timetabled teeny tiny film prac that lasts a week).

I do single honours - tis tiring but fun, and I do have to say that I have a much better relationship with the department staff than if I was doing joint. I've had a bit of trouble this term with personal kerfuffle and the lecturers really banded around me to help me out. I'm not saying that they wouldn't for a joint honours student, it's just that a joint's spend 4.5 hours a week in the department in the first term (Including a 2 hour screening...which isn't a lecture just a compulsory cinema viewing in the department) whereas single honours spend about 15 - 40 hours a week depending on whether there's pracs on or not...so they get to know you better. Plus when you do single honours in the first year (im not sure how it works for the film prac yet) in the theatre prac you spend half of it working pretty much one on one with one of the technical lecturers and that's obviously going to mean you get comfortable in the department quite quickly.

I would just go for it, if you get in - give it a few weeks if you feel like you aren't getting enough out of the joint then switch - tis not a decision to be taken lightly. Besides you applied for joint for a reason right?

xx

ReputationRep:

thanks x
    Hi! I'm on the course for English and Drama 2009 (deferring is fun). I was a bit about the little practical thing too. At my interview i had the chance to chat to someone who was doing English and Drama and he said he was loving it, and that he was getting to do loads of practical because contact hours for joint honours are much lower than single, leaving you with more time to do your own thing. He said that you can spend much more time in the drama department, you just have to be a bit more proactive about it and take initiative to get involved.

That having been said, it's nice to see what Valkyrja said about being able to switch... I like to leave my options open (I'm doing an Art Foundation course this year!)

Ps for drama and english I had to send an essay on a Robert Frost poem to the English department, and if they liked it, I got to go to interview and workshop at the Drama department. On that day we got to chat to the English staff and they said that, if it was up to them, we would already be on the course. The interview is alll about the drama
    x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.