Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan)
    Its true that if your personal statement is so Oxbridge focused that you ignore the Bristol course you are very likely to be rejected.(http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...-Oxbridge.html)
    I dunno, there was a lot of civil engineering in my PS, and I got an offer from Bristol for Mech Eng.

ReputationRep:
    My personal statement was all about chemistry (Cambridge NatSci application) and I got accepted for maths. So, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by davidsmith)
    is it true they usually Bristol ignore oxbridge candidates?!
    We had an international student meeting in halls during the first week...there were about 20 ppl in the room...all but 1 were oxbridge/UoL candidates.

This may just be international students. But yes, a lot of my friends have applied to oxbridge.

They won't ignore you, they know oxbridge attract great students, who's stupid enough to ignore that?

ReputationRep:
    hey i received an email the other day from a professor in the classics department in Bristol to explain to me that i have received an offer and that they are 'very impressed' with my application. It also thanked me for having to wait so long to hear from them. I thought this was all very kind and nice but did anyone else also receive a message similar to this (it doesn't have to classical civ) ? Also, has anyone else been told they have a offer but haven't been told what the offer is exactly? - Royal Holloway has also done this too me. weeeirrrddd. what's with all the uni secrecy? ha!

ReputationRep:
    Offer (presumably unconditional because I've done my A levels) for Engineering Design

ReputationRep:
    hiyaa on the whole oxbridge front... 2 people in my house who are oxbridge have been rejected from bristol who are reallllllllly good like lots of A* and stuff makes me nervous lol... i've had the same 'we will tell you end of jan' email too as has my friend who's doing geography! I'm guessing its the v.v. good people who get offers first and also the def nos get rejections... then everyone else gets to know in jan?????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flower-power)
    hiyaa on the whole oxbridge front... 2 people in my house who are oxbridge have been rejected from bristol who are reallllllllly good like lots of A* and stuff makes me nervous lol... i've had the same 'we will tell you end of jan' email too as has my friend who's doing geography! I'm guessing its the v.v. good people who get offers first and also the def nos get rejections... then everyone else gets to know in jan?????
    If that's the case I find that pretty unfair. Not meaning to brag but in the Scottish system my grades can't be any better and my school won't let me sit any exams early. If they are discriminating against the scottish system or my age then thats completely wrong. My personal statement, maybe but thats the only reason I can think of.

ReputationRep:
    I just got an offer of BBB for Theology & Religious Studies!! It's my absolute favourite! I'm SO happy!! Ahhh! Hehe.

Ruth xx

ReputationRep:
    Today I've had an offer for Theology & Religious Studies: BBB . Just need to get the grades!

ReputationRep:
    Offer for Politics. It's my second choice after the unlikely Cambridge & didn't expect anything on such a competitive course so soon, so am delirious.

ReputationRep:
    Offer for Physiological Science (Unconditional). Won't be my first choice as I'm applying to medicine but I really like Bristol and I'm glad I can go somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    Is any one going to the UCAS open day tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
    History V100
    Offer: IB 37 points (6 6 6 at HL)...
    UCAS sent on: sometime before the the oxbridge deadline, dont remember lol

ReputationRep:
    I've applied for Geography BSc (F800) as well but deferred til 2010. Haven't heard anything Predicted AAA. I suspect they won't make offers til January, although some one in my class got an offer for Chemistry over a month ago from them.

Does anyone know if they interview for my course?

ReputationRep:
    Course: Computer Science and Electronics GH46
    Offer: AAB (A in maths)
    UCAS Sent: 14th October

ReputationRep:
    Course: Social Policy and Politics

Offer: 35 points in IB

UCAS Sent: 04.11.08

yay

ReputationRep:
    Just got the offer today...Economies and Mangement AAA 7 POINTS FOR IELTS...my first offer, so really excited..

ReputationRep:
    Got an AAB offer a couple of weeks back for Geography F800. Woopdie doo!
    Although, it's probably my last choice. :P

I'll have to go down and check out Bristol before I make up my mind though.

ReputationRep:
    hey!! anyone got an offer for Bristol Classics yet?x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katie.b)
    I've applied for Geography BSc (F800) as well but deferred til 2010. Haven't heard anything Predicted AAA. I suspect they won't make offers til January, although some one in my class got an offer for Chemistry over a month ago from them.

Does anyone know if they interview for my course?
    I don't think they do normally. I remember reading that its only in special circumstances, so it's probably not too likely. I've applied for the F803 course, and got my offer about 4 weeks ago, so you should be hearing soon (fingers crossed). Good luck
    xxx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.