Student 999
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Is there something I'm missing shouldn't the option be DName:  Screenshot 2022-05-17 at 17.29.19.png
Views: 10
Size:  135.4 KB
Last edited by Student 999; 1 month ago
Callicious
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
The little curly thing is an inductor (i.e. the soft iron core coil.) I think (at least in AQA) you get taught something about them- I remember our teacher covering inductors and the like, at least basic. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Induct...-core_inductor

Principally, instantaneously the current is going to be zero when you open the switch- the rate of change of it will be large though. The inductor will hog the PD and the light will not instantaneously turn on. The delay will be extremely minute, but it won't turn on instantly. The final brightness however should be obvious considering the form of the PD across the inductor (see wiki.)

The equation you'd be dealing with in this case (for the inductor-lamp combination with a cell, ignoring any parallel arms/etc) would be

\varepsilon(t) = iR + L\frac{di}{dt}

where L is the inductance of the solenoid and I've included an R for the resistance of the lamp. See http://hades.mech.northwestern.edu/i...d_Voltage_Laws
Last edited by Callicious; 1 month ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (21)
26.25%
As I expected (24)
30%
Harder (30)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
6.25%

Watched Threads