OCR Classical Civilisation A2 World of the Hero Paper 2022

Watch this thread
thefroggyyy
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
what the actual flying **** was that…
Countingsheepxox
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Did u do the iliad?
Darth_caicillius
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Did you think it was tricky? What questions did you do?
plannerdan
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
First time poster here.

With regard to the exam paper, I thought that both 20 mark questions (Odyssey and Aeneid) were very poorly presented. All of the 10 mark questions I thought were worded fine as well as the options for the 30 mark question. But when it came down to the 20 markers I was dumbfounded with what they had to ask. I am disappointed that OCR chose those questions and bearing in mind, I did not fully answer all questions in the way that it should have been. I will be surprised if I get a "good" mark now.
Darth_caicillius
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I was a bit annoyed that the odyssey question looked far easier compared to the Iliad and the Aeneid one.
S.M.A
Badges: 4
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I found the whole Aeneid section just horrid tbh. The 20 marker was so odd and something no one really thinks about revising when it comes to Dido. But I kinda liked the Iliad 30 marker.
BigFrank
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by S.M.A)
I found the whole Aeneid section just horrid tbh. The 20 marker was so odd and something no one really thinks about revising when it comes to Dido. But I kinda liked the Iliad 30 marker.
Did you read the advanced info? I thought specifying 1, 4 and 6 as the books of the Iliad strongly hinted at Dido because they're the only places she appears in
S.M.A
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by BigFrank)
Did you read the advanced info? I thought specifying 1, 4 and 6 as the books of the Iliad strongly hinted at Dido because they're the only places she appears in
Yeah I knew it would be Dido, but I was just thrown off by the 20 marker, coz she isn’t really studied as an agreeable or likeable character. More of a pitiful one i guess.
AbbyChris1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I actually enjoyed doing this question the most !! I compared the way in which she was able to build a city on her own, which was unheard of for women in that era. Then compared such admirations to how her qualities were hindered once she had a male by her side. I also made some parallells between Cleopatra, to which a Roman audience would specifically find her unlikeable.

The 30 make question for the Odyssey did stump me though, yet seemed wayyyyyy easier than the Aeneid !
A___Z
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I’m doing Iliad and Aeneid and I thought all the questions were pretty decent tbf. For the Dido 20 I think the key was the 2nd half of book 1 with Venus’ story of Pygmalion and Sychaeus and then Aeneas and Achates in the cloud. I did the Iliad 30 as I think there are so many ways that you can approach humanity vs heroism: time, kleos, aidos, hubris. Also Helen in books 3 and 24 was good for how he is compassionate
Fredd40115
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Darth_caicillius)
I was a bit annoyed that the odyssey question looked far easier compared to the Iliad and the Aeneid one.
I feel like I’m the only person who did the Aeneid 30 marker! I thought it was great. Can’t remember exactly, but it was about arguing to what extent it’s a completely depressing story. Felt very open-ended and I managed to link it to whether Virgil was agreeing with or contradicting Augustan propaganda, especially in terms of war and death. I also talked briefly about fate in terms of Dido and Turnus, and how their statuses as pawns in helping Aeneas conquer Latium is quite depressing.

However, the 20 marker on Dido was very odd. I thought I managed to answer it okay, but I’ve never heard her get called “unlikeable”.
AbbyChris1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by A___Z)
I’m doing Iliad and Aeneid and I thought all the questions were pretty decent tbf. For the Dido 20 I think the key was the 2nd half of book 1 with Venus’ story of Pygmalion and Sychaeus and then Aeneas and Achates in the cloud. I did the Iliad 30 as I think there are so many ways that you can approach humanity vs heroism: time, kleos, aidos, hubris. Also Helen in books 3 and 24 was good for how he is compassionate
I'm glad you mentioned the Pygmalion and Sychaeus story, as I touched on this too! Admirable that she was able to overcome such adversities and build Carthage, but then became unlikeable when she broke her 'univera' (I have forgotten how to spell it already)
Annonymous17557
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Fredd40115)
I feel like I’m the only person who did the Aeneid 30 marker! I thought it was great. Can’t remember exactly, but it was about arguing to what extent it’s a completely depressing story. Felt very open-ended and I managed to link it to whether Virgil was agreeing with or contradicting Augustan propaganda, especially in terms of war and death. I also talked briefly about fate in terms of Dido and Turnus, and how their statuses as pawns in helping Aeneas conquer Latium is quite depressing.

However, the 20 marker on Dido was very odd. I thought I managed to answer it okay, but I’ve never heard her get called “unlikeable”.
I did the Aeneid question too! I had started talking about the depressing nature of the poem depicted through the undeserved suffering of mortal women ( of course incuding the main woman herself, dido)
and then I did suffering of the young and vulnerable contradicting the ideas of continuity, but then did an evaluative paragraph drawing on jupiter's words, stating that the cost of founding the roman empire was going to be high and how there is a subtle justification of the suffering that will lead to the roman empire and how that would be inherently optomistic
LudwigsLover
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Annonymous17557)
I did the Aeneid question too! I had started talking about the depressing nature of the poem depicted through the undeserved suffering of mortal women ( of course incuding the main woman herself, dido)
and then I did suffering of the young and vulnerable contradicting the ideas of continuity, but then did an evaluative paragraph drawing on jupiter's words, stating that the cost of founding the roman empire was going to be high and how there is a subtle justification of the suffering that will lead to the roman empire and how that would be inherently optomistic
Yeah with the stuff about the suffering of young people in the Aeneid you can talk about Hardie's notion of mors immatura and how it's seen in the: ekphrasis on the temple in Bk6 (Icarus), Marcellus in Bk6, Pallas in Bk10, probably one of the main things you wanna discuss if you're saying its a depressing text.
A___Z
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Did anyone else do the Hector question?
Darth_caicillius
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Did anyone else work out that the 20 was going to be in Xenia. I revised it loads because I thought the advanced info pointed to that on the Iliad section (books 6,9,18 and 24 are the ones mentioned in the Iliad section of the textbook when it talks about Xenia).
MedeaWasRight
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
What was the Odyssey paper on? do you remember the questions or what you wrote about?I'm about to do my y12 end of year exam and am so lost
MedeaWasGirlboss
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by AbbyChris1)
I actually enjoyed doing this question the most !! I compared the way in which she was able to build a city on her own, which was unheard of for women in that era. Then compared such admirations to how her qualities were hindered once she had a male by her side. I also made some parallells between Cleopatra, to which a Roman audience would specifically find her unlikeable.

The 30 make question for the Odyssey did stump me though, yet seemed wayyyyyy easier than the Aeneid !
What was the Odyssey paper on? do you remember the questions or what you wrote about?I'm about to do my y12 end of year exam and am so lost
AbbyChris1
Rep:
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MedeaWasGirlboss)
Hello! From what I remember (I've sat two papers since) it was all about xenia and its importance - I wrote in terms of his nostos, moving the plot along, characters, barbarity vs civilisation
Picca333
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
Did anyone do imperial image questions and what where they?!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (39)
32.23%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (55)
45.45%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (26)
21.49%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.83%

Watched Threads