I am upset with what subjects I have at GCSE.

Watch this thread
krugers123
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I'm not trying to be arrogant, but this is true.

My friends and I consider me to be a good student, as the top student in all of my classes, and though I am okay with this, I just feel like I could do more, and that's what I want.

In year 9, I chose triple science, and even though I got one of the highest; the top 3rd score on the end of year science exam, I was denied to do it, and now that I look at the triple science classes, I am puzzled as to how some people got into it when I didn't.

Also, I have asked the head of maths in my school to do further maths. He told me that I need to get good grades in all of my current subjects until year 11, then he would put me in the class, and so far, I have gotten good results in everything, but I am still unclear as to whether I need to learn the Further Maths curriculum too. - can anyone give me some advice on this?

Finally, on the English speaking (speech) exam I got a merit, because I had to read it off the paper and I didn't memorise it - is that important for universities? Does it really matter should it be something I need to worry about?
krugers123
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
(Original post by krugers123)

My friends and I consider me to be a good student, as the top student in all of my classes, and though I am okay with this, I just feel like I could do more, and that's what I want.

In year 9, I chose triple science, and even though I got one of the highest; the top 3rd score on the end of year science exam, I was denied to do it, and now that I look at the triple science classes, I am puzzled as to how some people got into it when I didn't.

Also, I have asked the head of maths in my school to do further maths. He told me that I need to get good grades in all of my current subjects until year 11, then he would put me in the class, and so far, I have gotten good results in everything, but I am still unclear as to whether I need to learn the Further Maths curriculum too. - can anyone give me some advice on this?

Finally, on the English speaking (speech) exam I got a merit, because I had to read it off the paper and I didn't memorise it - is that important for universities? Does it really matter should it be something I need to worry about?
My question here is if I should actually be worried about this? or should I just continue with whatever subjects I am doing now?
Honey57
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Listen. NO ONE cares about the speaking exam!! I also got a merit so don’t worry about it! Also you don’t need triple to do science at alevel so you’ll be fine! I did triple and honestly I wish I did combined because I put in all that effort coz I thought you need triple to do science alevels. I would’ve made my path easier and actually not taken triple because my teachers weren’t great either.

You don’t need further maths gcse to do maths or further maths alevel. None of this will affect you alevel and career wise. Hope that helps!
krugers123
Rep:
(Original post by Honey57)
Listen. NO ONE cares about the speaking exam!! I also got a merit so don’t worry about it! Also you don’t need triple to do science at alevel so you’ll be fine! I did triple and honestly I wish I did combined because I put in all that effort coz I thought you need triple to do science alevels. I would’ve made my path easier and actually not taken triple because my teachers weren’t great either.

You don’t need further maths gcse to do maths or further maths alevel. None of this will affect you alevel and career wise. Hope that helps!
Thank you so much; this has cleared a lot of stuff up for me. Also, do universities look at GCSEs or just A-levels?
Honey57
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Thank you so much; this has cleared a lot of stuff up for me. Also, do universities look at GCSEs or just A-levels?
Both but universities want to see good grades in both GCSEs and alevels and don’t care if you’ve taken triple or fm or for example history gcse. They just want to see a good set of grades from both GCSEs and alevels.
Skiwi
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

The speaking exam means nothing afaik, and you got a merit so even less reason to be worried.

I would say it's worth trying to get moved to the triple science class if you intend on taking a science at A-level, it makes the jump slightly easier.

You really don't need the gcse further maths for A-level maths or FM
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
My question here is if I should actually be worried about this? or should I just continue with whatever subjects I am doing now?
Do not worry about this. Many schools dont even offer triple science. The only slight problem might be you will be slightly behind others if you choose a science at A level but due to the fact that some schools dont offer triple. Similarly with Maths some schools wont offer it.

As far as GCSEs are concerned most universities dont really care about them. They look for 5 or in some courses 7 GCSEs at grade C or above. Some ask for a higher grade in English Language and dependent on the course you are taking Maths at higher than 4 or 5 might be required. Other than that and a couple of universities such as Oxford or LSE nobody really cares.
Honey57
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I had a friend that did combined then did bio and chem at alevel. And she was totally fine along with other students. Since you’re smart and working hard, the Jump to be alevel won’t be big. But it’ll feel different
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

What is missing from the school curriculum?

Basic life skills (eg. cooking) (17)
27.87%
Financial skills (eg. taxes, budgeting) (31)
50.82%
First aid skills (3)
4.92%
Personal safety skills (1)
1.64%
Sign language (8)
13.11%
Expanded sexual health/relationships (0)
0%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
1.64%

Watched Threads