The Student Room Group

APO on assignment

I have been accused of plagurism, I got my final assignment back today of 2nd year and it said it had been referred to the the academic offensives people due to its similarity to other sources.

Turnitin is showing 53% with most of them being my references and a few quotes, all at 1% for the links except for one 3% for a link.
There is no massive chunks of writing highlighted, I didnt show anyone on my course my work, I didnt see anyone else's, I didnt copy and paste from the Internet, I quoted and reworded and cited but that was it.

Now I did this assignment and handed it in back in April now I think the first week, so I don't remember what books I used or websites as they would all be cited and referenced. I am terrified I will get kicked out and this course is supposed to be my stepping stone to nursing 😔. I was told I'd need evidence to back up my case but I don't have anything?!? Would they want to see my sent box to show i didnt send it? Or the WhatsApp chat with the girl I speak to on my course who did something completely different to me.

Any advice would be great thankyou.
Okay, firstly I'd say try not to panic. If you haven't plagiarised there will be a way to prove it, just remember that some people pay others to write their essays or copy entire texts. If you've made an honest mistake with getting referencing wrong, you won't be punished.

The best thing you can do is make contact with people who understand the uni's specific system, why the referral has been made, and what evidence you need.

Most important:
- Personal Tutor
- Any contact details given on the referral itself

Then:
- Student Services
- Student Union

Emails are good because they create a trail of evidence, so always use them to discuss this matter. However, if you find conversation less stressful and clearer, use email to arrange calls or in-person chats. Then ask the person you spoke with to summarise what happened in your discussion by email.

Could you explain this part of your post please?

Original post by Anonymous
I don't remember what books I used or websites as they would all be cited and referenced.

I'm not sure I understand this, as if they're cited and referenced that's how you'll find them. So this may indicate an issue with your referencing if that isn't the case. I won't be able to 100% confirm what has happened but if I can help you work it out I will!

Quick Reply

Latest