The Student Room Group

Questions about getting a job

So I've never had a job before and I have literally no idea where to start so sorry if these are stupid questions but I'm very confused.

1. Do I look specifically for vacancies on websites (like total jobs, indeed etc) or can I email places asking about vacancies?

2.. Do I have to call or go to the place or can I email (I don't want to annoy the places)

3. I'd it possible for me to just work on the weekends/ Saturday? (My mum won't let me work after school)

4. What are the best places to look for work at 15? (I know a lot of places you have to be 16 but some 15 year olds I know have jobs)

Sorry if any of these questions sound really stupid but I don't really understand the process of getting a job or how to do it.
Good luck. Email is best.
There are a lot of restrictions for employing under 16’s so many businesses will not employ anyone under this age. So I would suggest you wait until you are 16 before applying for roles.
For ease, I will talk as if you are 16. Most places these days will not discuss vacancies in person, over the phone or via email, everything will be done online either through job sites or the companies official website. Only small businesses are likely to converse with you and even then they may direct you to somewhere like indeed to apply or ask you to email a CV and cover letter to them.
In terms of working hours, most jobs will advertise the hours they want you to work. Tesco for instance usually supply you with your shift pattern at application. However, most companies will discuss your availability at interview. If you can only work weekends and the company has vacant weekend hours then that’s good, however if they need someone who is flexible with their hours or can work during the week, then you are likely to be turned down.
Some jobs will specifically hire weekend staff so keep an eye out for that. These jobs are usually retail staff and catering. However small independent shops may have adverts in the window saying they are looking for weekend staff.
Best times to job search is June time because that’s when the majority of the summer roles come out, and November for Christmas temp roles.
Don’t get disheartened if you don’t get a reply from an application or you don’t get a job you got interviewed for. There are usually loads of people applying for the role/s advertised, so just try again somewhere else, or with the same company at a later date.
Since you are 15, you could look at volunteering at a charity shop on a Saturday for a few hours. You won’t get paid for this (obviously) but it’s highly likely that if you do it for a few months consistently they will be a reference for you when you do apply for paid jobs. You will also be able to evidence work ethic and retail experience which many 16 year olds won’t be able to do. In terms of gaining voluntary experience you probably can just pop into stores and ask or phone them up. Just make sure you do some research on the charity first so if they ask why that charity you can say because you support xyz by doing abc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending