Retaking year 12 exams

Watch this thread
Archock
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I was wondering if it is possible to retake Year-12 exams in year 13. NOT REPEATING YEAR 12! But just sitting the As along with the A level exams at the end of Y13.

What happens if you fail the retake worse than the first time, would your first year 12 exams not count towards your a levels then?

I've considered the stress of already doing Y13 at the same time, and it still seems reasonable to retake Y12. I could get 4-5% extra (total for A level) for 3 subjects. As I started properly revising quite late.

Does this have any affect on University applications?

Also, would I have to take the whole of Y12 at the same time or will I be able to just sit one unit for a subject instead of 2?

I'm thinking about it, but if it's too risky I don't mind since I'll still get an A anyways in all the subjects, might miss 1 or 2 A*'s though.

Thanks in advance!
Cloudster
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Archock)
I was wondering if it is possible to retake Year-12 exams in year 13. NOT REPEATING YEAR 12! But just sitting the As along with the A level exams at the end of Y13.

What happens if you fail the retake worse than the first time, would your first year 12 exams not count towards your a levels then?

I've considered the stress of already doing Y13 at the same time, and it still seems reasonable to retake Y12. I could get 4-5% extra (total for A level) for 3 subjects. As I started properly revising quite late.

Does this have any affect on University applications?

Also, would I have to take the whole of Y12 at the same time or will I be able to just sit one unit for a subject instead of 2?

I'm thinking about it, but if it's too risky I don't mind since I'll still get an A anyways in all the subjects, might miss 1 or 2 A*'s though.

Thanks in advance!
Are you in year 13? There’s no need to take year 12 exams, they’re mainly for predicted grades and your year 13 grades are the ones that will be used for universities
Archock
Rep:
(Original post by Sukn)
Are you in year 13? There’s no need to take year 12 exams, they’re mainly for predicted grades and your year 13 grades are the ones that will be used for universities
Nope, in Y12 right now.

I thought the As also contributes to the total % though? At least for WJEC, I guess I should've specified that haha. The specification for the subjects I've taken says Unit 1 (As) 20%, of total qualification, for example in Chemistry. Or is that implying something else?

You're saying that the As is entirely irrelevant to the A-level, final year 13 grade? (other than me being able to continue onto the A-level course)
Cloudster
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Nope, in Y12 right now.

I thought the As also contributes to the total % though? At least for WJEC, I guess I should've specified that haha. The specification for the subjects I've taken says Unit 1 (As) 20%, of total qualification, for example in Chemistry. Or is that implying something else?

You're saying that the As is entirely irrelevant to the A-level, final year 13 grade? (other than me being able to continue onto the A-level course)
Yes year 12 is entirely different, you should have a final exam in year 12 which is what the teachers use for your predicted grades in year 13. I am not sure what 20% of total qualifications mean but I suggest you ask your teachers.

If you were doing horrendously your teacher would most likely talk to you about it. You don’t need to retake year 12, if you’re stressing about your marks I really suggest to you that you talk to your subject teachers about it.
SagaciousSag
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
AS and A-Levels are completely separate qualifications. They don't influence one another.
Archock
Rep:
(Original post by Sukn)
Yes year 12 is entirely different, you should have a final exam in year 12 which is what the teachers use for your predicted grades in year 13. I am not sure what 20% of total qualifications mean but I suggest you ask your teachers.

If you were doing horrendously your teacher would most likely talk to you about it. You don’t need to retake year 12, if you’re stressing about your marks I really suggest to you that you talk to your subject teachers about it.
Phew! So, I'd assume for now that 20% means the content of A+As and not the contribution to the qualification for A. Yeah, I'll ask my teachers. Thanks for the clarification and advice . I don't really care about the As grades then. I was just thinking so far that the As contributes somehow to the final A.
Chxrl_
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi! if you do WJEC yes if you're currently in year 12 THIS year you're back to normal grading meaning that your exams this year go to a % of your final year 13 grade. For example I think its roughly 20-25% per unit 1,2,3 and 4 and 10% for your practical examination roughly. Current year 13's myself our grades last year didn't count which sucks, as we didn't really technically do an "exam". If you did want to resit year 12 exams in year 13 I think you can do it per unit but I'm not sure if you have to pay.
Phew! So, I'd assume for now that 20% means the content of A+As and not the contribution to the qualification for A. Yeah, I'll ask my teachers. Thanks for the clarification and advice . I don't really care about the As grades then. I was just thinking so far that the As contributes somehow to the final A.
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As Chxrl_ pointed out WJEC A levels taken in Wales are assessed differently to those in England. The results you achieve in AS DO count towards your final A level grade - much like A levels in England prior to the most recent reforms. You can find out exactly how much by reading the specification for your subjects. You can retake any or all AS exams in your final year to try boost your overall grade. If you only retake a unit once your best result counts. BUT you have to balance how much working to improve any AS results will detract from work towards your A2 exams.
Last edited by gdunne42; 1 month ago
Archock
Rep:
(Original post by Chxrl_)
Hi! if you do WJEC yes if you're currently in year 12 THIS year you're back to normal grading meaning that your exams this year go to a % of your final year 13 grade. For example I think its roughly 20-25% per unit 1,2,3 and 4 and 10% for your practical examination roughly. Current year 13's myself our grades last year didn't count which sucks, as we didn't really technically do an "exam". If you did want to resit year 12 exams in year 13 I think you can do it per unit but I'm not sure if you have to pay.
Damn! Just found this out via my teachers. Thanks for the info though. I'll probably be retaking Unit 1 for two subjects.

Would I have to take the whole AS or can I just pick a unit? 🤔
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Does school Maths prepare people well enough for the future?

Yes, it gives everyone a good foundation for any future path (41)
31.78%
Somewhat, if your future involves maths/STEM (60)
46.51%
No, it doesn't teach enough practical life skills (27)
20.93%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
0.78%

Watched Threads