Reconvened investigatory meeting.

Watch this thread
cslx
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I had an investigatory meeting about 3 weeks ago now and I was told at the end by the manager that they needed to investigate a few last bits and then they’d arrange another meeting when they’d come to their conclusion and wanted to tell me that (therefore a disciplinary), however my letter says the 2nd meeting will be a “reconvened investigation”. What does that mean? I feel this is really being dragged out considering what I did I didn’t even know wasn’t allowed.
drumdrumdrum
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Hmmm no idea, but deffo don't feel like you can't ask! A quick call or email will help?? Good luck
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cslx)
I had an investigatory meeting about 3 weeks ago now and I was told at the end by the manager that they needed to investigate a few last bits and then they’d arrange another meeting when they’d come to their conclusion and wanted to tell me that (therefore a disciplinary), however my letter says the 2nd meeting will be a “reconvened investigation”. What does that mean? I feel this is really being dragged out considering what I did I didn’t even know wasn’t allowed.
Hi
Advice is to get a union representative and discuss with them this matter before even you go into this meeting with management okay.
Always take a union representative or somebody else in with you as a witness Incase they say you said something that you didn't.

Unfortunately a employer can take as long as they want to with arranging another follow up meeting with an employee and must give you as much notice as possible to allow you to arrange to talk with your union representative and if the date etc don't suit the Union representative then the Union representative can ask for a new date and time that suits all parties.

What is an investigatory meeting.....
Investigation meetings provide an opportunity for an investigator to interview someone who is involved in, or has information on, the matter under investigation. However, they can be difficult and emotional, particularly for someone who is under investigation or who has raised a complaint.

Do you have to give notice of an investigatory meeting...
Depending on the circumstances, it may be necessary for the employer to hold an investigatory meeting with the employee concerned. Where an investigatory meeting is necessary, the employer should give the employee advance warning and time to prepare for it.

What is the purpose of an investigatory interview.....
An investigatory interview occurs when: 1. Management questions an employee to obtain information; and 2. The employee has a reasonable belief that discipline or other adverse consequences may result.
cslx
Rep:
In the first meeting I didn’t get a rep because I didn’t feel like I needed one. What I did was so minor. I’m worried because I’ve seen that they are hiring in my department and similar hours to what I do. It’s making me worry that they’re getting rid of me. Surely they can’t hire people and then get rid of me after all this time though? People keep telling me if they were going to they’d have done it by now.
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cslx)
In the first meeting I didn’t get a rep because I didn’t feel like I needed one. What I did was so minor. I’m worried because I’ve seen that they are hiring in my department and similar hours to what I do. It’s making me worry that they’re getting rid of me. Surely they can’t hire people and then get rid of me after all this time though? People keep telling me if they were going to they’d have done it by now.
Hi
Doesn't matter how minor the offence is always take in a Union rep as a witness as management can easily twist thing's.

I wouldn't be worrying about the hiring process in your department of any other departments because they would be hiring people as part of recruiting more people. All companies does this okay.

At worse you'll be given a warning and be told that if you do whatever you did again then you may have to be dismissed.

Can you say what sort of working environment you work in ( example retail or something like that ). Doesn't matter if you don't okay.
cslx
Rep:
(Original post by Tracey_W)
Hi
Doesn't matter how minor the offence is always take in a Union rep as a witness as management can easily twist thing's.

I wouldn't be worrying about the hiring process in your department of any other departments because they would be hiring people as part of recruiting more people. All companies does this okay.

At worse you'll be given a warning and be told that if you do whatever you did again then you may have to be dismissed.

Can you say what sort of working environment you work in ( example retail or something like that ). Doesn't matter if you don't okay.
Tesco
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cslx)
Tesco
Hi cslx

I'm a team leader and stand in supervisor as required with Tesco.
Was a Union shop steward upto 2016 with Tesco but couldn't continue with it due to going to university for my degree.

You'll probably know yourself that Tesco and of course other supermarkets has been recruiting staff by the thousands over the last few years and they have been expanding the online home delivery side and they always wanting staff for this area and others as well.

As said previously don't panic over them hiring staff okay.
You'll probably at worse be given a written warning for whatever you have done and I know how management work's and all the reasons for taking a Union rep in with you ( I would phone the Union office and ask for somebody who can come in with you at the meeting ).

PM if you want to okay ☺️☺️
cslx
Rep:
Hi cslx

Was a Union shop steward upto 2016 with Tesco but couldn't continue with it due to going to university for my degree.

You'll probably know yourself that Tesco and of course other supermarkets has been recruiting staff by the thousands over the last few years and they have been expanding the online home delivery side and they always wanting staff for this area and others as well.

You'll probably at worse be given a written warning for whatever you have done and I know how management work's and all the reasons for taking a Union rep in with you ( I would phone the Union office and ask for somebody who can come in with you at the meeting ).

Thanks. I don’t need a rep though because I know what I need to say and it’s going to make me look more guilty if I take one in there with me. I’m fine to go alone
cslx
Rep:
Hi cslx

Also what actually is a “reconvened investigation meeting” because my first was an “investigation” and I thought the next would be the disciplinary or final meeting giving me their verdict.
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cslx)
Also what actually is a “reconvened investigation meeting” because my first was an “investigation” and I thought the next would be the disciplinary or final meeting giving me their verdict.
It's just a name for another meeting basically to discuss everything that they have heard from you previously plus anything else that both parties has to say.

Yes they would have done a investigation first of all and then the next meeting could be either another meeting to update things and perhaps arrange for another meeting to discuss outcomes of there decision.

I hope you will get a warning as if it was a minor issue then you should be fine.
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by cslx)
Thanks. I don’t need a rep though because I know what I need to say and it’s going to make me look more guilty if I take one in there with me. I’m fine to go alone
Your are welcome okay

You can take in a rep regardless as you are entitled to have somebody in with you as it's usually part of the policy you'll be given the opportunity to bring someone else in with you.

You won't be more guilty if you took someone else in okay believe me.

Just make sure you fully understand what they are saying to you as I would probably suggest that if possible write down what they saying ( could ask if you can record it on your phone and they can say yes or no ).

As long as you know yourself what you are going to say then that's fair enough as it your own decision okay.

You are welcome to PM me if you wish to okay ☺️☺️
cslx
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
I’m not doing 3 meetings because of it that’s ridiculous honestly. 2 is more than enough. Surely they can’t arrange yet ANOTHER meeting. This should be the final one.
Tracey_W
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by cslx)
I’m not doing 3 meetings because of it that’s ridiculous honestly. 2 is more than enough. Surely they can’t arrange yet ANOTHER meeting. This should be the final one.
No you shouldn't have to have another meeting after this upcoming one okay.
Only way that you can have another meeting with them if they want to perhaps have it at a later date but I wouldn't think that they will do so.
Mainthing is for you to get back concentrating on the job and not to worry about meetings with management.
sleepingsunshine
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by cslx)
They’re not having another meeting. It’s the first one getting concluded. Depending on the outcome of that meeting it will be decided if it goes to a disciplinary meeting, the disciplinary meeting will be the final meeting and it will tell you if you end up with a warning or not.
cslx
Rep:
(Original post by sleepingsunshine)
They’re not having another meeting. It’s the first one getting concluded. Depending on the outcome of that meeting it will be decided if it goes to a disciplinary meeting, the disciplinary meeting will be the final meeting and it will tell you if you end up with a warning or not.
Right so I could have 3 meetings then. If they decide to give me a warning, which I’m sure they will, that means I have to go to another flipping meeting even after the 2nd one tomorrow. Can I expect them to ask me even more questions and interrogate me more about the situation?
cslx
Rep:
So am I right in saying that it won’t go to a 3rd meeting if they choose to not give me a warning?
cslx
Rep:
Ok so update - I just had the “reconvened investigation meeting”. All it was was to say they’re taking it to a disciplinary. This was supposed to be next week however I’m on holiday, so it has been rearranged to be with the same manager chosen but a week after. They wanted to give me the meeting with a “more lenient nicer” manager so that it would be a good outcome for me, and the notes person said it’s probably going to end in some sort of warning. I said I was terrified of being dismissed, but they tried to (without going against meeting rules) say “don’t worry” and find me the “best” person to have the meeting with.
sleepingsunshine
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by cslx)
So am I right in saying that it won’t go to a 3rd meeting if they choose to not give me a warning?
It probably will. Tomorrows meeting will be to tell you whether there will be another meeting or not. Don’t think of this meeting as a second one though, it’s literally just the first one ending.

every investigation meeting I’ve been part of has always been reconvened, it shouldn’t take long unless they have found more evidence.
Last edited by sleepingsunshine; 4 weeks ago
cslx
Rep:
It probably will. Tomorrows meeting will be to tell you whether there will be another meeting or not. Don’t think of this meeting as a second one though, it’s literally just the first one ending.

every investigation meeting I’ve been part of has always been reconvened, it shouldn’t take long unless they have found more evidence.
Please read my update post and tell me your opinion
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (6)
37.5%
As I expected (3)
18.75%
Harder (6)
37.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
6.25%

Watched Threads